RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Ripping Cds HELP!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

donny dog

United Kingdom 
Ripping Cds HELP!

Having now changed cars, I want to download the CDs I used to have in my wife's old car. If I play a CD, it gives me a 'rip' option which saves the CD, but doesn't retain any name or details (even though it displays all these when playing the CD). When I download further CDs, it just adds them to the same series of tracks, so all I've ended up with is dozens of anonymous tracks from 'unknown artists' and I can't tell one from the other, all shown as if it were one huge CD. Does anyone know if it's possible to do it as you'd expect, and save CDs separately by name? If so, can you help, please? (The manual offers no guidance whatsoever other than to say that you can rip CDs)

Post #520679 Sun Mar 12 2017 3:28pm
IRBails

Australia 

Don't know your yr model but MY16 rips with all the info if you are ripping OME CD's or ISO copies of OME. What you have sounds very strange. Not a lot of CD space on the HD 10 is all I can load and the process is fairly slow. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #520706 Sun Mar 12 2017 9:19pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

It's a MY17, I got it on 1 March. My wife had a 2012 Evoque before which recognised all the same CDs. Clearly, these CDs are, or at least were, in the Gracenote database (and it's hard to see them removing any that are already registered).

Reading around the subject, it would seem likely that when playing the CDs the title and track data is being taken directly from the CD (older CDs like mine have this data embedded, new ones apparently don't bother), but when ripped it needs to get the information from the Gracenote database. This was clearly stored in the Evoque hard drive as it had no internet connection, so the questions boils down to these: Does the RRS have a Gracenote database stored in it (in which case, how come it's missing CDs that were in the database five years ago)? or does it need the internet nowadays to access the database (in which case why isn't that working)?

As for speed of ripping, to get the highest quality it takes 'real time'.

Post #520708 Sun Mar 12 2017 9:47pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

But how do you save a CD to the memory? And is it possible to delete the previous owners CDs?

Post #520868 Tue Mar 14 2017 1:53pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

If you rip the CD (which is a little 'disc' icon at the bottom of my MY17 screen, presumably you have something similar) it is automatically saved. If you then look in media library you can see various ways to list the albums, one of which has tick boxes while a 'bin' symbol appears at the bottom. You can then tick and bin as required.

Post #520877 Tue Mar 14 2017 2:17pm
Black Bess

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thank you! I will have a look at it.

Post #520879 Tue Mar 14 2017 2:32pm
OldMe

United Kingdom 

Donny dog, did you ever find a solution for ripping CDs as per you post in March? We have just taken delivery of our first RRS and are having the same problem with putting CDs onto the integral hard drive. Thanks.

Post #534286 Fri Sep 01 2017 4:24pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Sorry, Old Me, unfortunately no. I gave up in the end and now use a USB flash drive (which I also had problems with initially, but did manage to resolve).

Post #534288 Fri Sep 01 2017 4:39pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1