Post Reply  Down to end
Page 38 of 41 <123 ... 3738 394041>

donny dog

United Kingdom 

It certainly looks like A Range Rover!

Post #532098 Sat Aug 05 2017 4:47pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

That's certainly not what people said when the L494 was launched and the non split tailgate was shown. The car got A LOT of stick for not being a Range Rover Rolling Eyes

Post #532099 Sat Aug 05 2017 4:53pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

I must admit, I thought it looked a bit 'soft' and Evoque-like when it was launched, but it grew on me and I now like it (obviously, as I bought one!). The Velar, however, doesn't look like, or, more importantly, feel like a Range Rover at all to me, any more than the Evoque does (and my wife has one of those). No doubt FFRR owners take the same view of the 'Sport', so I guess it depends on your point of view. We are both enjoying our respective cars, that's the main thing! Smile

Post #532100 Sat Aug 05 2017 5:01pm
RRSman

United Kingdom 

We sure are donnydog just a productive conversation we are having Smile

To me and all the other motoring press who have tried one the Velar is an out an out looker and certainly drives and feels like a Range Rover. You need to drive one to get a feel who knows you may just convert Mr. Green

Post #532101 Sat Aug 05 2017 5:20pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Well having driven a Velar myself, it feels very much like a Range Rover and is a cracking car IMHO.

However, whatever LR or a dealer is saying about Velar demand, I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt. With all due respect RRSman, they could be telling you what you want/like to hear. I find the idea that Velars are being built/delivered quickly due to lower RRS demand a bit hard to swallow. I wonder why the same didn't happen when RRS was new, at the expense of another, older model? Also, as mentioned above, why would something that was supposed to be RRS Coupe be built on a "lesser" chassis than the regular RRS? Even if the RRS chassis is older, I find it difficult to believe they would have two variants of the same model on completely different chassis. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #532106 Sat Aug 05 2017 8:01pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:

You need to drive one to get a feel who knows you may just convert Mr. Green

You may be surprised to hear, and I may be unique in this, but I never test drive cars, I buy them on instinct (including pre-launch, as you did with the Velar). To the extent that I still enjoy driving (which I don't enjoy as much as I used to) I find I can get on with virtually every car I've driven. The problem with the Velar is that I simply don't like it, and it doesn't do what I want from a car. When I want out and out sporty driving, I drive my SL500, which I'm sure would be at least a match for the Velar. For space, luxury, and on-road 'stature', I drive my SDV8 RRS. When I'm on holiday (I have a house in Greece) and am confined to narrow windy roads, I drive my Hyundai i10, which I love and which is actually more fun than the other two put together! (My wife's Evoque doesn't get driven by me as, although a nice enough package, it achieves none of these things any better than they do). I also love V8s, both petrol and diesel, and wouldn't want a big-engined car that wasn't one if I had any choice.

To me, the Velar looks like it could have been made by a number of different manufacturers, it's too sleek to be a Range Rover, it's too estate car-like to be a Range Rover, it's too low to be a Range Rover, I don't like the rear or rear quarter at all, it currently doesn't offer a V8 option, and I dislike the interior intensely, especially the plethora of touch screens and controls, preferring physical switches any day. I don't for one minute dispute that it will sell like hot cakes, or that it's loved by the motoring press, but it's so unsuitable for my needs and preferences that I wouldn't be interested in driving one.

...and before you say it, yes, I know the RRS will sooner or later be tarred with the Velar brush, but it's not something I look forward to and may not participate in.

Post #532108 Sat Aug 05 2017 9:22pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

donny dog wrote:
I dislike the interior intensely, especially the plethora of touch screens and controls, preferring physical switches any day.

Well then you're not gonna like what's coming next and I don't mean the MY18 RRS Whistle Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #532109 Sat Aug 05 2017 9:29pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Do you mean RRS 3? If so, I'm already assuming that will be a Velar big brother.

Post #532110 Sat Aug 05 2017 9:30pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Nope Neutral Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #532115 Sat Aug 05 2017 10:01pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

donny dog wrote:
it's too sleek to be a Range Rover, it's too estate car-like to be a Range Rover, it's too low to be a Range Rover,

It doesn't tow like a Range Rover or go places like a Range Rover either.

Quote:
I dislike the interior intensely, especially the plethora of touch screens and controls, preferring physical switches any day. I don't for one minute dispute that it will sell like hot cakes, or that it's loved by the motoring press, but it's so unsuitable for my needs and preferences that I wouldn't be interested in driving one.

Same here. The problem, for me, is that the use of all of these touch screens. Whilst they look good and no doubt wow people, they need multiple actions to achieve things. This will undoubtedly result in attention being taken off the road. In my old fashioned, push-button, RRS1 I use the centre console controls by touch - never need to look down at the buttons so focus remains on the road. Change the temp? Easy. Change the fan? Easy. Seat temp? Yep, easy. All require interaction with one control, in one movement.

This isn't just a problem with the Velar - the industry seems intent on making these type of menu driven systems the norm.

One thing I've noticed is that most of the reviews are of the "nice but flawed" type. Many comparisons to the bigger siblings which are more capable but not much more expensive. Lots of reference to the price of the Velar. One interesting comparison I saw was that the entry level Velar cost the same as a top-spec Audi Q5. That's quite shocking, really.

If I was going to give Land Rover £80k for one their vehicles, it would be a fully capable one and it would be either a FF or, perhaps, a RRS. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #532117 Sat Aug 05 2017 10:11pm
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

[quote="donny dog"]

RRSman wrote:
The problem with the Velar is that I simply don't like it, and it doesn't do what I want from a car. When I want out and out sporty driving, I drive my SL500, which I'm sure would be at least a match for the Velar. For space, luxury, and on-road 'stature', I drive my SDV8 RRS. When I'm on holiday (I have a house in Greece) and am confined to narrow windy roads, I drive my Hyundai i10, which I love and which is actually more fun than the other two put together! (My wife's Evoque doesn't get driven by me as, although a nice enough package, it achieves none of these things any better than they do). I also love V8s, both petrol and diesel, and wouldn't want a big-engined car that wasn't one if I had any choice.

Well, maybe not everybody has the money or the room to own 5-6 cars, one for every occasion. Some have to compromise. '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #532129 Sun Aug 06 2017 9:29am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Fair enough, but I was addressing the question about test driving one and potentially being 'converted'. (And it's four, actually! Very Happy )

Post #532140 Sun Aug 06 2017 10:01am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Yeah flydive, that post made me very jealous too (or is envious the more PC word) Laughing Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #532141 Sun Aug 06 2017 10:02am
flydive

Switzerland 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

^^^^Well, yes, at the moment I'm at 3 1/2 cars and 3 bikes... but working on it:wink: Mr. Green

donny dog wrote:
(And it's four, actually! Very Happy )

Just think of the many possibilities you are missing Mr. Green Wink '08 RRS TDV8
I converted my diesel RRS to run on an environmentally friendly mixture of caribou fat and baby seals oil

Post #532143 Sun Aug 06 2017 10:15am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Donnydog you need a Velar to make it 5 Razz

Post #532155 Sun Aug 06 2017 12:07pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 38 of 41 <123 ... 3738 394041>