RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 2.7 with ACE alternator removal
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 3 123>

m3nutter

England 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
2.7 with ACE alternator removal

Just thought I'd post one or two pics of getting the alternator out when you have an ace pump under it
Thought they may be useful as I couldn't find any , sorry if there are somewhere Confused
First, view with fan off and inlet butterfly to get more room

Next, with belt and tensioner off, sorry about broken idler, if you have this set up be very careful taking this pulley off as mine was seized, just a tiny bit of elbow and it fell off Sad

Post #517823 Tue Feb 14 2017 8:34pm
m3nutter

The ace pump has two 10mm long bolts in the bottom and one in the top, I got to these with a 10mm ring then a long socket on a 3/8 ratchet with a short swivel handle. This lets you undo without hitting the pipes in front of it

Post #517825 Tue Feb 14 2017 8:39pm
m3nutter

Once it has all three bolts out you can shove it down and get to the bottom two 13mm alternator bolts, they will come out with the pump pushed down.

Then the top bolt on the alternator comes out easily from the front, then you can pull the alternator forward and use a 13mm combination spanner to undo the big red live connection under the rubber boot. This is a cable with not much slack so do it in this position. The multi connector has much more slack and will come off when the alternator is further out

Post #517826 Tue Feb 14 2017 8:42pm
m3nutter

Et voila

I did this in about an hour tonight in the dark. I need to make something to mend the idler bracket but after I'm hoping going back together should be easier as the bolts will have a bit of lube on . That will be another night

Very Happy

Post #517828 Tue Feb 14 2017 8:48pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Thanks a lot, a very handy reference for those that may need it. Very Happy (Shame about the idler Whistle ) John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #517842 Tue Feb 14 2017 11:32pm
Gilly1

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Fantastic help, I'm going through the exact same process and could only find how too without ACE, I'm still at the fan removal stage, it's being a bit of a pig (so tight) I'm going to order "special tools" and hopefully will do the trick, great guide, Thumbs Up Hope you get Idler sorted ok.

Post #517850 Wed Feb 15 2017 5:12am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m3nutter

My fan was very tight to and doing it on your own needs three hands . I got a building wall strap the ones used for wall plates , drilled out the end hole bigger to take one of the water pump 10mm bolts , took one out and screwed the strap on. I used a longer bolt . Then turned the fan so the strap jammed under the pully and sat a block of wood across the engine for it to push against. Once it was in place you can get both hands on a big spanner on the fan

Post #517853 Wed Feb 15 2017 6:46am
Gilly1

Sounds like a good plan to me, please forgive my ignorance but do you mean one of these
http://www.google.co.uk/aclk?sa=l&ai=D...amp;adurl=

I'm slightly concerned about the idler now too as I'm not the most sensitive with a spanner. 😬

Post #517857 Wed Feb 15 2017 7:56am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m3nutter

Yes that's it , the hole needs opening up to and I did grind the side away a bit to allow the fan flats to turn. Bear in mind anything will do Thumbs Up

Post #517912 Wed Feb 15 2017 9:12pm
m3nutter

Apologies for photos as it's dark, but kind of like this. My straps were to short hence the join Laughing

Post #517913 Wed Feb 15 2017 9:19pm
Gilly1

Fantastic, THANKYOU kindly, will get bk on it Friday weather permitting. Thumbs Up

Post #517914 Wed Feb 15 2017 9:27pm
m3nutter

I have to fix my idler bracket first but then I will start to put back together so will let you know any issues as I go mate Thumbs Up

Post #517917 Wed Feb 15 2017 9:49pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

I ordered a set of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Visco...Swi0RX1s-h

I havn't had the chance to get around to use them yet due to bad weather and not enough free time
I have a squeaky belt but only first thing in the morning so I am going to remove the fan at the weekend, (weather permitting) to have a play around to see if i can locate which (if any) idler or pulley has any play or grinding. It is a new belt fitted by the stealers during last service.

Just a quick question I've heard some do and some don't have a reverse thread on the fan, so as a precaution if standing in front of the car looking down at the fan spanner in place, do you knock it to the drivers side or passengers side?
(2009 2.7tdi with ace)

Post #517937 Thu Feb 16 2017 11:08am
m3nutter

Hi mate

It should tighten fan with engine rotation so v6 is left hand thread . Standing at front facing fan with spanner pointing straight up, pushing top to the passenger side , your right, will undo

Post #517945 Thu Feb 16 2017 12:42pm
Gilly1

I have been looking at the tools on the link provided but can't understand how they will undo the fan as they look quite hard to get any leverage on them, if holding pulley with pry bar and large adjustable on fan nut being shocked with a large rubber mallet didn't work. (But that's why I'm probably not a mechanic) keep us posted how you get on with the recommended tools and how tight your fan was. 👍

Post #517953 Thu Feb 16 2017 1:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 3 123>