RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Engine failure in a '62 plate ... good customer service
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

notty

United Kingdom 
Engine failure in a '62 plate ... good customer service

Just some feedback from my own experiences in case it helps others...

My engine failed at around 60k miles and a few months out of warranty - it's a 62 plate. Finding a piece of my engine underneath the car in a pool of hot oil, I knew it was a big one.

After a quick trip to an independent, I tried a main dealer. They diagnosed it as a "seized engine" and were vague about the failure. LR customer services initially said "no contribution" but under pressure they mentioned about an impeller failure within the oil pump.
After realising that I owned a old RR Vogue, it was a LR dealer approved sale, serviced on time, due to be serviced 3 days after it failed, 2 days out of approved warranty ... as well and that I wasn't going let this go as a car of that age/milage should not fail like that, they said that they would reconsider.
Long story short, they ended up paying 100% of the bill for a new block to be fitted.

It's my belief that it wasn't an oil pump failure or any oil starvation that caused the problem. It 'felt' like a big old crank failure.

Hope these facts help someone with their problems.

Paul

Post #517573 Mon Feb 13 2017 12:37am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

I'm guessing yours is a 3.0 sdv6 engine and not a petrol ?

Post #517577 Mon Feb 13 2017 8:33am
naks

South Africa 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Siberian Silver

notty, sorry about your troubles.

if you have a minute, please fill out the survey: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45740.html

thanks --
2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9
Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Post #517584 Mon Feb 13 2017 9:26am
notty

United Kingdom 

Smarttech wrote:
I'm guessing yours is a 3.0 sdv6 engine and not a petrol ?

Yes, it was the 3.0 SDV6.

Paul

Post #517588 Mon Feb 13 2017 10:26am
notty

United Kingdom 

naks wrote:
notty, sorry about your troubles.

if you have a minute, please fill out the survey: http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45740.html

thanks

I'll go fill that in now.

Although it was (very) inconvenient, I'm staying loyal to the brand. The car is as solid as most are in this day and age. Sure there are some that have problems, but if LR manage customer's problems like they did with me, then they should keep their reputation intact.

P

Post #517589 Mon Feb 13 2017 10:29am
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The problem is what are these cars going to be worth at 4 / 5 years old ? As it becomes public knowledge the engines are sub standard and unreliable who is going to want to pay premium prices for a ticking time bomb. I. Just had a new in engine a 57 plate at 78k miles , my next purchase would have been a 2012, do I want all the stress and worry of when the engine might go.....not a chance, see ya Landrover Nanocom Evo

Last edited by Jaggs on Mon Feb 13 2017 11:53am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #517599 Mon Feb 13 2017 11:43am
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

Mine is a 2012 62 plate with 28k miles which I picked up on Saturday from the dealer. Just hoping now I am one of the lucky ones and am not posting engine failure down the line.

Post #517603 Mon Feb 13 2017 11:52am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

LR has a credibility issue with these sort of things. They know that there is a problem, they have probably worked out how much it would cost them to put right all the cars likely to suffer and figure that it is such a large sum that they prefer to take a few bad publicity hits as it is cheaper. The PR kids working for them and advising the board don't seem to realize that LR has always traded mostly on brand loyalty, having loads of new customers is something LR cannot handle. Nobody in Gaydon seems to realise that once you have a poor/ bad reputation it is darned hard to shed it and in the 1970's and 1980's under BMC/ARG LR had a terrible reputation and languishing sales. It took them up to BMW handing them over to Ford and the Launch of the L320 FFRR in 2003 to recover a decent reputation and over the last 4-5 years they seem to be only too happy to loose often very loyal customers rather than sort out the problem. The board don't seem to realise that if you have happy customers who are willing to post on Internet forums it can lead to even more sales as they are seen to treat customers with courtesy and respect by people new to the brand trying to gain an idea of how the company operates. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517613 Mon Feb 13 2017 12:45pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Jaggs

^^ Agreed
A family member recently sold his 2009 in light of all the issues people are experiencing and has left the brand, I ve had Landrovers for over 15 years, this is my last and I have talked at least 1 colleague out of buying one, bad news travels fast. Whilst I was not happy landrover weren't interested in contributing to my engine replacement it was the lies and stalling tactics used by both the dealer and LRCS that finally pushed me over the edge. Things go wrong sometimes but it's how it's dealt with that matters. Farnells Leeds never contacted me about my concerns I registered with them, not that I'm surprised as I wasn't in the market for a brand new Landrover. Nanocom Evo

Post #517616 Mon Feb 13 2017 12:56pm
notty

United Kingdom 

Agree 100% Jaggs.
When they initially came back and said "no contribution, you're on your own" I was more than a tad annoyed. Livid in fact. I'm 'lucky in that I was insistent and was more than willing to go down the "fit for purpose" legal route if need be.

My intention with this post is to share with others that there is hope. Present your case correctly and persist. My case was pretty strong as it was LR approved and only just outside warranty.

Maybe worth a "peace of mind" warranty to be enjoy the car to its full in the future? That can be factored into 2nd hand prices.

P

Post #517617 Mon Feb 13 2017 1:06pm
Bill Portland

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Orkney Grey

A few well worded posts on their facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/landrover.uk/?fref=ts) might trigger a reaction. I find most companies respond more positively if an issue is raised on their facebook page.

I've just sent them a private facebook message asking them to clarify the situation regarding the reports of significant numbers of premature engine failures and what action they're taking to prevent/rectify the situation.

Post #517618 Mon Feb 13 2017 1:19pm
Disco_Mikey

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Santorini Black

Standard response, I'll bet Rolling Eyes

Quote:
Good afternoon

Thank you for your message.

Please accept my apologies for your concern and any inconvenience which has been caused as a result of this. I can confirm that I will be happy to gain further clarification on this should you wish to provide me with your Vehicle Identification Number via PM.

Many thanks,

Post #517624 Mon Feb 13 2017 2:11pm
Bill Portland

almost certainly Mikey, but it'll be interesting to see what the next response will be after giving them my details (if they do ask for them).

Post #517625 Mon Feb 13 2017 2:19pm
Bill Portland

well, pleasant and positive response from land rover uk

"Hi, Thank you for your message. I am glad to hear of your recent purchase.

Should you experience any vehicle concerns once outside of the manufactures warranty which you believe to be a manufacturing defect, rest assured Land Rover would complete a full investigation into your concerns and assist financially should it be deemed necessary.

Thanks

Nathan - Land Rover"

Post #517642 Mon Feb 13 2017 4:03pm
Jaggs

Similar to what they told me when I spoke to them about concerns of engine failures before I had any issues, assured there wasn't any issues and they would look at each case individually but that particular manager had only heard of 1 failure !!!,fast forward 9 months when the engines in bits and they weren't interested messed me around for months denied even opening a case when I had emails from them and basically said get some forensic reports done and come back to us if you think you have a case. Nanocom Evo

Post #517647 Mon Feb 13 2017 4:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>