Home > Off Topic > 16 indestructible cars which will probably outlive you
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
16 indestructible cars which will probably outlive you

Quote:
Not so long ago, you’d struggle to coax much more than about 100,000 miles out of your car, but these days it’s not unusual for cars to last for between 250,000 and 300,000 miles, or even more.

Despite this, according to the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders (SMMT), the average age of a car on the UK roads is just 7.8 years.

Perhaps then we’re scrapping our cars far too soon. Of course, after nearly eight years most of us fancy a change and want to buy something new. But what if you don’t? What if you’d rather buy one car now and keep it for the rest of your life?
Well, to cater for that eventuality, we’ve pulled together a list of the most rugged, dependable and easy-to-fix new and used cars which are most likely to outlive you. 

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/enthusiasts/...spartanntp

Was going so well with Defender at No3 then I saw the Lada Riva at No7 and wet myself laughing Rolling with laughter Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #517403 Sat Feb 11 2017 12:39pm
drdelrrs

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

You're right.

Based on cost you'd buy a car and keep it until it dropped.

Its a bit of a lottery with modern car electronics which, when faulty, can make a car uneconomic to repair quite early in its life.

Post #517420 Sat Feb 11 2017 3:27pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

It's about time MSN bought a spell checker for their staff - doesn't anyone there know that site means location when what they really want is "sight". My Defender will have to go some to outlive me, it's 21 and I'm 59 and a bit............ I just hope that someone gets as much enjoyment from it once I have departed this life as I have had owning and driving it. It has also cost relatively little over all those years. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #517421 Sat Feb 11 2017 3:30pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

If it just about cheap motoring, then for sure buying a new car and keeping it for either all its life, or all yours is the way to go. It is certainly my wife's modus operandi. We have been married for 27 years and she is on her second car in that time!!! The first was a Renault Clio, one of the first to come out, which she purchased in 1990. This was sold in 2009 at 19 years old and with 57,000 miles on the clock!!! The only reason she sold it was because the "Scrappage Scheme" was due to come to an end and the 2 Grand that the government were going to pay her for it was too much of a temptation to turn down!!! It was changed for a new Honda Jazz 1.4 Ex. A brilliant wee car. Now 8 years old and only 4,700 miles on the clock (it did spend 5 years in storage when we were living in Malaysia) but is still a great car and when it is run in in a few hundred miles time, will get better. It is worth next to nothing now, but to her it is worth the world and she will only sell it if it starts to give her a lot of problems.

For me, I'll be changing my RRS in 2018 as I have never kept a car longer than 3 years. Costs me a fortune in depreciation and I probably should have learnt my lesson from her by now, but hell, it's only money!!!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #517449 Sat Feb 11 2017 7:40pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1