RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Wiring up a reversing camera to aftermarket head unit?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

W44NNE

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black
Wiring up a reversing camera to aftermarket head unit?

I'm considering replacing the OEM unit in my 2005 RRS with a Kenwood or similar double DIN unit. I miss DAB in my old car and there's also the option of running a camera(s) as a bonus.

I've fitted head units before but it's all been plug and play. I don't foresee any issues installing the camera itself, and running the cables to the AV input should be fine as well. However I've never tapped in to wiring. I guess I'll need to connect the head unit's reversing cable to the main loom of the car, and possibly power the camera via the reversing lights.

Is there a guide for this anywhere, or does anybody know someone in greater Manchester that could complete this final step if I wire up most of it? The audio shop I used to use occasionally and trust have unfortunately closed.

Post #516618 Fri Feb 03 2017 9:52am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Note you have Logic7 with an amplifier under the seat.

Therefore you will require expensive adaptor leads to run cables to under the seat.

Also if you remove the head unit the display above will stop working so you will have no SATNAV or suspension info

Post #516628 Fri Feb 03 2017 12:45pm
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think InCarTec now do a kit for the Logic7s. The instructions have you break down the the HU and remove the SatNav/Steering part, which you then hide behind the new HU.

I ran the wire from the camera through the roof, down the back pillar and through to the HU and use the +ve wire connected to the same feed as the HU. This to me was simpler than branching off to the rear light.

I also shorted the Park Brake lead from the HU to itself, so camera is always on and again, no faffing about connecting it up to reverse/park whatever & I just select reversing cam as/when I want it.

Post #516631 Fri Feb 03 2017 1:46pm
RobP

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I used slightly different approach and located reverse light feed in rear quarter panel of boot on left. The connections for towing electrics are here to quite easy. Used this for positive power and also took earth from there up to roof where i connected the earth to the camera earth and reverse feed to both camera +ve and the red power wire than runs inside coax.

You will need to release roof lining by removing both rear tailgate door pillar covers, and the rubber tailgate seal from the top of the car.There is a clip in the center holding the roof lining to the cars frame just lever this out with a suitable tool. I needed access here as I fitted a roof mount DAB antenna at same time

A single torx screw hiding behind air bag badge release the A pillar trim

THIS video shows you how

This then supplies a VGA phono and reverse switch straight to back of head unit which on a Kenwood auto switches the screen as soon as you put in reverse

The only bit i compromised on was running the cable for camera on inside of upper tailgate (which I never open as always use full tailgate) I removed rear outer tailgate trim for fitting camera and fed wire inside tailgate. A neat strip of black gaffa tape holds wire against the inner edge of the wire channel that is molded into inside of tailgate The wires for number plate light and open button run inside . Not perfect but no way to get cable inside upper tailgate that I could see.

Pics of my install of Kenwood 5016 DAB with reverse Cam in THIS thread TDV8 now with extra grin factor thanks to Alive Tunning: Gone but not forgotten

Last edited by RobP on Mon Feb 13 2017 1:21pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #516690 Fri Feb 03 2017 11:40pm
W44NNE

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

Excellent advice, thanks. I wish I'd read this sooner as I ran a dash cam rear camera cable the other day and decided to go down the side of the interior. The roof lining option sounds neater.

Post #517595 Mon Feb 13 2017 11:08am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1