RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > How many miles from a set of tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

keith

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Buckingham Blue
How many miles from a set of tyres?

Hi All,

Just a general question regarding the average amount of miles you can expect from a set of tyres. I'm new to the 4x4 game and don't expect to get anything like the mileage I got with my 5 series (30K+ per set).

I have Goodyear Wranglers fitted but know that some cars are supplied with Continentals. Is there a big difference? I think the Continentals are a bit more expensive but if they last longer I would change next time I need some.

Keith 4.4HSE Buckingham Blue
Alpaca Premium Leather, Rhodium
Dynamic Pack, PTI

Post #3118 Mon Oct 10 2005 10:53am
RRfan

Scotland 

I had a P38 RR 2.5 DT which managed 48k on first set then changed for alloys when second set were at 96k - and where still averaging 2.2mm depth - Pirelli Scorpion tyres second time.
I would start looking for a change in about 3-4 years time....

Clearly, how you drive and model type (i.e. S/C v TDV6) will make a difference to wear. RRSprt HSE TDV6 - Artic Frost, Tow pack, Privacy glass.

Previous 10 yrs with P38 JE Engineered, coil sprung DT
Previous 10 yrs Classic V8 Supercharged

Post #3126 Mon Oct 10 2005 12:55pm
keith

I didn't think you get anywhere near that kind of mileage. I have the 4.4 so maybe I can budget for about 30K?

Do they wear evenly front and rear or should I swap them around?

Dynamic Pack, PTI

Post #3127 Mon Oct 10 2005 1:04pm
RRfan

Scotland 

I can only go on my P38 but the wear on those was nearly even all round - meaning a large expense to replace all four at the same time! I also reckon you should replace both tyres on the same axle - not for any great technical reason as modern diffs should be able to handle the slight difference in diameters - it just seems like a more mechanically sympathetic way of doing things.

I did actually read in the RRS manual (Tech section) you should not swap front and rear around - no explanation.

I always do a quick visual check of the tyres since under-inflation can make a really dramatic change to fuel consumption - never mind the safety issues and then a closer look about once per month and it is easy to monitor the tyre wear that way - especially with a new car where alignment might need to be adjusted after about 2k or so. RRSprt HSE TDV6 - Artic Frost, Tow pack, Privacy glass.

Previous 10 yrs with P38 JE Engineered, coil sprung DT
Previous 10 yrs Classic V8 Supercharged

Post #3164 Tue Oct 11 2005 1:26pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I ran a V8 Disco S1 for 5 years and ran the AvonTurbospeed tyres to 72000 miles before they felt they needed replacing, they were still well over the legal minimum but grip in the wet for such a heavy wagon was definitely passed it's best!. I was amazed but that was the 1st 4x4 I had owned and didn't know about long lived tyres on them. I made more investigations and found that there is a an explanation: generally speaking 4x4's are driven more gently and with a good 4x4 transmission you should not get any wheelspin to wear off valuable millimeters.
On my Defender I have just replaced the 4 BF Goodrich All Terrians with 4 more. The tyre dealer asked what milage I had on them (62000 miles)as there was still an average of 5mm tread depth so really they didn't need replacing, in fact they are regularly seeing Defenders coming in for new tyres having run 85-90000 miles on the originals! I replaced my tyres so early because my Defender is only used for offroading and while the tyres were road legal, they were well passed their best offroad when they quickly lost grip on wet terrain. Even better was that I was able to sell on the old tyres to somebody who rarely takes their Def offroad, as a spare set for the day when their's wear out! Laughing
On the replacing both tyres on an axle: when changing tyres this is because if you only replace one tyre there is a difference in the rolling diameter between each end of the axle and you can get transmission/ diff damage as a result of running with odd diameter tyres.
Anybody who has run a Volvo XCountry or XC90 will know ALL about this as Volvo will invalidate warranties on transmissions if you don't replace all 4 tyres at one go! They are the only manufacturer that I know of who take it that seriously. If you are buying a second hand 4x4 car always check that it has the same brand and wear on all the tyres otherwise you could be by a heap of transmission problems.
Since that Disco, I have never kept any of my road going Landies long enough to find out how long the tyres last! Generally 2-3 years and 25-28000 miles and the ash trays are full of sweaty wrappers or LR have bought out another model that I fancy!!

Post #3225 Wed Oct 12 2005 9:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
keith

Hi Tim,

I had no idea the tyres could last so long. One set should do for this car since I only do about 8-9K miles a year.

So far very happy with the car. Nothing negative to report, no warning lights, suspension going up and down perfectly. Got a tank of fuel and a couple of freebies from the dealer along with the invite for the offroad half-day (at Dunkeld). Dealer phoned after a week to check all was well and the tyres last a lifetime. I'm a happy bunny. Very Happy

Dynamic Pack, PTI

Post #3230 Wed Oct 12 2005 9:58am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1