Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > How many did you look at before purchasing? New Buyer Advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

original poster

United Kingdom 
How many did you look at before purchasing? New Buyer Advice

Hi guys,

Thought I'd join up as I've spent a couple of weeks doing my initial research after deciding to buy a RRS.

I will be looking at an 05-08 HSE ideally with 60,000 - 90,000 miles, most likely a 2.7 although not ruling the 3.6 out. Having spent a lot of time reading this forum I won't repeat all the other thousands of people in my boat.

I will be purchasing a warranty with Warranty Direct given their, overall, positive reviews on here. Luckily I have Land Rover Basingstoke pretty much behind my house and also RoverTune half an hour away in Reading so seems I'm well located to own one of these!

Having spent hours after hour trawling though Auto Trader, PistonHeads and eBay it seems £14,000 is enough for my desired spec/year/mileage.

I will predominantly be buying on condition and history, most adverts dont seem to go into detail about services and replacement parts so just keen to know how many RRS's people looked at before finding "the one"?

I'd like to strike gold on the first viewing but appreciate the chances of that are pretty slim.

Keen to hear from other owners about their buying experience?

Post #515549 Mon Jan 23 2017 2:47pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

I did mine totally the wrong way. Saw it, had a test drive, had an imminent holiday coming up and didn't want to loose it so put down a deposit. I didn't look around apart from a bit of casual viewing on autotrader, and certainly didn't look on this forum first. If I had looked here I would probably not have bought it.
BUT, having got it I'm really pleased with it. Yes it has had a few issues and I am still working through some of them with my warranty company, but it is just such a nice car to drive and just to be in.

If there's a next time I would certainly look hard at buying from a LR dealer to get their warranty and courtesy car back up even though you'd pay more for the car. I'm not sure that you'll find one on a LR dealer forecourt for the budget you are considering however, so check that your warranty is good. No short cut to reading the small print. For example, with my warranty I am restricted to a labour rate of £60 per hour including VAT. Well the LR dealers around here charge about double that so having one on you doorstep may not be the best solution.

Hope this helps in your deliberations Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #515553 Mon Jan 23 2017 3:03pm
original poster

United Kingdom 

Thanks!

I think Warranty Direct cover you up to £240 (if you select the dealer option) so that won't be a problem fortunately!

Post #515554 Mon Jan 23 2017 3:05pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

purchased the 3rd one I saw.

Mind you the 1st was stolen, so there's a warning!

Post #515583 Mon Jan 23 2017 7:34pm
Pakolainen

Finland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Rimini Red

Looked at maybe 20. turned promptly on heel and walked away from 3. Test drove 3. Bought the 3rd. Sometimes wish i had looked a bit more.
As always, after buying up pop a couple with better mileage and a later MY.
but this one ticked all the boxes for me, pretty much with spec and price. 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2014 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Dynamic
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Alfa Romeo Guillietta 2.0 JTDM 2011
Mazda 3 1.6 2010
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX 2005

Post #515593 Mon Jan 23 2017 8:10pm
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Bought the second one I test drove, 2 owners FSH and well cared for, still cost me a fortune in unforeseen repairs, warranty is a must as is. Good Indy. Nanocom Evo

Post #515594 Mon Jan 23 2017 8:14pm
Rich

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I looked at about 10 at various main dealers before finding the one that was right for me.

Although I was looking at about 3 yrs old/25 - 40K miles I was surprised how sloppy some felt. Some had dubious history and some had been used for school run (I suspected). One main dealer was even trying to sell me one that had six weeks missing from its history (sold within the trade) and steering wheel was about 5% out. I suspected it had been repaired in the missing six weeks.

Anyway, eventually found one that felt right as soon as I drove it. Also had impeccable service history. Had it two years now and no problems whatsoever.

So........ be patient. Drive several and wait for the right one.

Post #515598 Mon Jan 23 2017 8:53pm
Smarttech

United Kingdom 

I've looked at 3 now. 2 were just used and abused piles of Censored the third was a good car but after the dealer messed me about with picking the car up and no one at the dealer wanted to explain what was going on with the car and why I wasn't getting it when I was meant to pick up so cancelled the sale and am now on the hunt for number 4 hoping something turns up soon that's worth buying.

Post #515622 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:29pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi,
no idea how many I looked at but it was a few Rolling Eyes look at as many as you can and test drive them, even if they seem out side of your ideal car Question

the more you look at the more idea you will have when you find the one you like (it may still cost you loads though Laughing )

When I was looking for the first D3 wanted a 2005/SE and ended up buying a 2008/HSE as everything stacked up well Whistle

I would rather buy a PVT well maintained car and put aftermarket warranty on than main dealer

And be careful of Low mileage cars Question looked at one who's life was 4x 1 Mile trips to the school 5 days a week Shocked Shocked 20 miles a week with the engine Never warm

Thumbs Up

Post #515696 Tue Jan 24 2017 5:52pm
d-9

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

I looked at a couple, test drove a 2.7 tdv6 but decided it was too sedate for my taste and I didn't like the ride, then test drove a tdv8 and liked it. I would have looked more, but the right one came up locally.

Post #515698 Tue Jan 24 2017 6:41pm
Lonescout

2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Did loads of research on here amongst other places. Looked at one, low mileage (88000 on an 06 plate) one owner from new, full service history. Test drove, contacted the two garages that did the servicing and work. Bought it! It's been fine (touch wood).

Post #515704 Tue Jan 24 2017 6:55pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I purchased the eighth vehicle I looked at and test drove, plus others after contacting knew were not suitable.
I also did much research on what I wanted, options etc, and only purchase from a LR dealership, with the normal 24 month warranty, 24 month MOT cover warranty etc.
If I wasn't purchasing a quite new car at time, I would have looked further afield from normal sellers, but being 18 months - two years old wanted the best I could find. I travelled hundreds of miles to look at cars, and some were badly described and had "borrowed" text from previous adverts for different model/finish. Whistle Censored John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #515705 Tue Jan 24 2017 7:03pm
Scrumpy

United Kingdom 

I bought the second one i viewed. The first one was local from a car dealer so was worth a look but turned out to be a dog. Luckily my friend spotted a few faults that I wouldn't have noticed and would probably have bought it if he didn't talk me out of it!
The second one was 300 miles away with a small car dealer so I wanted to know it was going to be worth viewing as i had to buy 2 train tickets there and possibly 2 train tickets for the way back if we didn't buy it.
I would definitely say it's worth sounding the seller out on the phone first to see if they sound trustworthy and if they confess to any faults/issues/fixes etc!
Touch wood it turned out to be a good one, 2005 RRS 4.2SC Java Black, 109k, full service history, ivory leather with black piping, sunroof, Logic 7, Rear entertainment pack, unmarked paintwork and leather etc, etc. . All for £9,400.

I wish you luck in finding the right one!!! 2016 RRS SVR Estoril Blue
2005 4.2L Supercharged Java Black - gone but was my first love.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If we all point our RR's in the same direction and accelerate at the same time can we turn back time?

Post #519239 Mon Feb 27 2017 11:57pm
Lee1977

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Orkney Grey

I spent 9 months looking then went and test drove one to see if I would like them and bought it ht e following weeknd.
Had it 11 months and love it Very Happy Very Happy

Regards,
Lee Current RRS MY2012 HSE Lux 3.0 SDV6 Orkney Grey
Gone Audi A6 Salon 2.ltr Black Edition Daytona Grey- disappointing needs 6 cylinders
Gone RRS MY2010 HSE 3.0 TDV6 Stornoway Grey - written off!!
Gone BMW 330d M Sport - Epic engine still missed

Post #519415 Wed Mar 01 2017 8:29am
HappyHammer

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

In the process of looking for mine currently.

I was hoping to find a 2011 or better 5L, but so far (it's still early at 1month) they seem pretty rare at my budget of £25k.

To save time in future, should I end up going down the diesel route, I've test driven my first diesel at the weekend. TDV6 3.0, 2010.

As many would attest, if the RRS is your first premium luxury car(it is for me) the whole experience is sumptuous, even I suspect if it's a dud. Reading through this site nightly, I realise how lucky I am not to of had that many drives as simply, I don't know enough on what to look for, ask and that doesn't even include any warranties etc... I was definitely exposed jumping in what I perceived was a lovely smooth motor, only to have some terrible surprises.

Simply put, I've learnt to research as much as possible before I jump back out there and spend my hard earned cash. Razz

Post #521581 Tue Mar 21 2017 9:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>