RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > New Owner - list of questions!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Lunar_Lamp

2011 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bali Blue
New Owner - list of questions!

Greetings all.
I've just ponied up the cash for a MY2011 supercharged, and am looking forward to spending half of my life going forward at the petrol pump!

After picking it up on Saturday, I've been impressed and am absolutely loving it, but have a few questions!

1. The only damage/blemish I've been able to spot is a crack on the "glass" of the dashboard (i.e. the transparent plastic/glass in front of the speedo etc). Is this possible/easy to replace, and where can I hunt out the relevant part?

2. I can't work out how the door locks work. I feel a complete and utter idiot every time I come to the car because I have no idea which combination of button pressing (or not) is likely to leave doors locked or unlocked and which ones. What's the procedure supposed to be here?

3. Bluetooth phone connectivity works excellently. But whoever hardcoded every RRS to have the same "2121" PIN clearly didn't even get as far as looking up the definition of "security" in the dictionary, let alone actually considering it. However, even more bizarre, it seems to be that I have to enter the PIN on my (android) phone each time I get into the car. Am I correct that this is normal, and that the only way to remedy this is to replace the bluetooth module (e.g. bluetoothexchange.co.uk)?

4. Is it possible to enable the TV to be watched on the move via software update? Obviously, this has safety implications, and as a driver I have no intention of watching TV whilst driving - however it may be nice for passengers.

5. SatNav update - as I have the hard drive version of the satnav (I believe), is it only possible to get the latest maps at a Land Rover main dealer? How much should I expect for this cost if I was to just drop it off purely for the purpose of a maps update?

6. Servicing - I'm used to my old BMW's "adaptive service intervals" where each time I started the car it gave an indication of when the next service was due (e.g. oil needing to be changed in 3000 miles, or annual service needed in 3months). Is there something similar in the RRS that I'm missing, or is my only way to track this via the service log book? A couple of times, on startup, I've seen a brief message flash up saying that a service was due, but it vanished nearly instantly and there doesn't appear to be a way to view these messages afterwards.

7. I love having DAB radio. However the touchscreen interface to it is awful. Does it *ever* become intuitive to use (or even something other than a brainteaser...)?

8. What's the fastest way to tell the satnav "take me home"? It seems to be about 15 presses through the touchscreen (I was spoiled in my previous car of having programmable physical buttons, one of which I set to "satnav set the destination to home").

Apologies for the long list of questions! I do genuinely love the car, despite what my moans above may seem to suggest!

Post #515536 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:16am
ilard

United Kingdom 

Congratulations on the new motor. I have a MY 2011 poor-man's diesel, so I can answer some of these.

2. Just walk up and tug the door handle, it will open as long as the key fob is in range. To lock it, close the door, place hand on the door handle, press the nipple with your thumb, pause a second, press the nipple again for double lock (hazard lights stay on for longer). I never unlock / lock withe the key fob buttons. The car will NOT lock automagically unless you unlocked it WITHOUT opening a door, in which case it will re-lock after a while.

3. All my iPhones have always paired easily and permanently via Bluetooth. Perhaps you Android device has an option to make the pairing persistent? It's not a Land Rover issue.

4. The TV signal is rubbish, good luck making it work on the move even if you vsan defeat the control!

5. Despite trying 2 main dealers I have never successfully upgraded my Sat Nav. They quoted £180 and £350 respectively, but it's never worked so I have never paid. The reported issues of errors, unable to select CAPS on the keyboard etc etc. Quite a sorry state of affairs. In the end I gave up and got a good quality vent grip for my iPhone to use Google maps. I am thrilled with it and will never use a LR sat nav again,, Google does it so much better.

6. There is a service indicator, I cannot remember how long it stays on, but I though you had to OK to clear it? I have never had a problem remembering it's due on 19 November and I do low miles, so I am not impacted by it doing it less clearly vs BMW.

7. DAB will never be intuitive to use, but you do get used to it. Main point: You have DAB1, DAB2, DAB3 which basically mean 3 pages of DAB station memory. Touch Search (is it? Something like that) to browser stations via London, National whatever. Select a station and then press & hold an empty slot on the page to save it permanently.

8. Press the voice recognition Talk button on the steering wheel and say "Land Rover: Take me home by the fastest route and don't spare the horses". Let us know how that works.

Good luck with the beast. Remember, when you swapped your BMW keys for a Range Rover you turned your back on an easy life. Thumbs Up L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #515538 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:54am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue
Re: New Owner - list of questions!

Lunar_Lamp wrote:
8. What's the fastest way to tell the satnav "take me home"? It seems to be about 15 presses through the touchscreen (I was spoiled in my previous car of having programmable physical buttons, one of which I set to "satnav set the destination to home").

The pre-facelift RRS had this smart shortcut of "touch anywhere on the map → select 'Home' icon", perhaps your satnav still retains it? Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #515539 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:59am
ilard

United Kingdom 

In Stored Locations add the home address and then you can press to talk and say "NAVIGATION GO HOME". I do not use this feature. Manually it would be Menu > Destination Entry > Home.

From the handbook:
STORING A HOME LOCATION
When storing a home location, it is advisable to store an alternative location close to your home address. This is to avoid giving away your home address should the keys and vehicle be stolen.
The Home function allows a stored destination used frequently to be selected quickly and easily. Only one destination can be allocated as home.
From the Stored Locations menu select HOME, then select Add.
Note: Select Edit to edit the details of the existing stored location, and select Delete to remove the existing stored location.
Enter the home destination in the same as other destinations, adding attributes etc as desired.
 L405 P400e Autobiography (MY2020)... Silicon Silver / Espresso
RRS TDV6 HSE Lux (MY2011)... Nara Bronze / Arabica - now gone!

Post #515542 Mon Jan 23 2017 12:20pm
crocs

Scotland 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

'Navigation, go Home' works for me. It's really useful if you'in an unfamiliar city centre, otherwise you'll probably know the way home.

Robert

Post #515580 Mon Jan 23 2017 7:01pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black
Re: New Owner - list of questions!

Lunar_Lamp wrote:
Greetings all.
I've just ponied up the cash for a MY2011 supercharged, and am looking forward to spending half of my life going forward at the petrol pump!

After picking it up on Saturday, I've been impressed and am absolutely loving it, but have a few questions!

1. The only damage/blemish I've been able to spot is a crack on the "glass" of the dashboard (i.e. the transparent plastic/glass in front of the speedo etc). Is this possible/easy to replace, and where can I hunt out the relevant part?

Apologies for the long list of questions! I do genuinely love the car, despite what my moans above may seem to suggest!

It is posible to buy just the front perspex part from L/R and easy to change, however you will need to remove the instrument cluster to do it which can be a bit fiddly, easiest way is to remove steering wheel first.

Cheers
Col

Post #515620 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:11pm
Lunar_Lamp

Ah, thanks Col - this sounds like it's an irritating job to do, but may well be worth it for me.

Do you know how I can find the relevant part number, so that I could find out the cost and order the part?

Post #515626 Mon Jan 23 2017 11:41pm
Col

I'll dig the part number out later and add to post for you, just enjoying 30 degree sunshine on the beach at the moment. Rolling with laughter

Cheers
Col

Post #515632 Tue Jan 24 2017 1:50am
Col

Part Number: LR041042 retails around £85.00 with vat. expensive bit of plastic, but inline with L/R rip off prices.

Cheers
Col

Post #515636 Tue Jan 24 2017 4:18am
Lunar_Lamp

Thanks for that Col!

And thanks for the tip on satnav crocs/Ilard. I'll also give you idea a go Wojtek.

Ilard: door handles now make perfect sense. I think my issue previously was that I was walking up to the car and immediately pressing the door 'nipple' to unlock it, meaning that sometimes I beat the auto-unlock, and sometimes I didn't - and thus was getting wildly inconsistent results.

Post #515660 Tue Jan 24 2017 11:15am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1