RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Navigation GPS position
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Very easy (if you have small hands, that is).

1. Open the tailgate to full extent.
2. Gently remove the thick rubber gasket starting at the top and in the middle (right lined up with the shark fin antenna). Do not remove it fully, some 20 inches will do.
3. The scary part: (almost) blindly stick you tiny hand between the roofliner and the actual roof. You'll see/feel the shark fin wiring loom. Disconnect the two connectors.
4. The scary part, contd.: use your tiny hand to undo two nuts holding the shark fin in place. This takes time, love and patience. Do not lose the nuts.
5. Lift the shark fin from above.

6. Gently disassemble the shark fin an put your el cheapo GPS antenna inside the shark fin. You may use (hot) glue, zip ties etc.
7. Route the el cheapo cable through the small hole in the shark fin base.
8. Put the shark fin together.
Continue from 5 to 1 (just put the surplus antenna cable under the roof) as installation is reverse of removal. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #518820 Fri Feb 24 2017 4:19pm
lazysurf

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks for that! Not sure I'll fit the bill for small hands, especially not slim ones either Smile

I have a 3 or 5m cable for my cheapo gps antenna that ends in a blue Farka connector. So may have issues hiding that cable in the roof. Also, will there be another Farka connector there in the roof?

Post #518842 Fri Feb 24 2017 8:04pm
TheWojtek

Yes, the shark fin loom ends with two colour-matched Fakra connectors (just one in later models, I believe, as the shark fin is GPS-only, contrary to earlier models in which the shark fin also works for FM).
I've had a 3 meter cable, so I just wound it up to a nice loop (i have no idea if it then works as an sort of "signal amplifier" or not, never had any GPS errors though), zip-tied it and left on the roofliner. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #518934 Sat Feb 25 2017 12:39pm
Heremyjill

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Firenze Red

Good morning all, restarting an older thread as I was unable to find anyone with the symptoms I am now experiencing.

For a few weeks now I have been starting the car and the Sat Nav system has been making contact with a number of satellites only to find that after about 5 minutes into the journey the link to all the satellites is lost.
I have an aftermarket Android screen set up and the app included in the software shows connectivity to over 20 satellites initially and then they become discontented one by one. Selecting the OEM screens again shows my true location at the start of the journey, but I eventually see the GPS sign with a red line through it.

Taking the advice in this thread and others, I have now bought a new GPS aerial (Shark Fin) and yesterday installed this into the car only to find that it has not resolved the issue and I am experiencing exactly the same symptoms.

Questions:

Are there any other modules that I need to check/replace that help to operate the GPS signal?

I am using a FAKRA splitter rather than having a separate GPS aerial for the new Android system, is it possible for these to be intermittent with their signal to the two units?

Do I need to either disconnect the main battery or pull the relevant fuse to reset the Sat Nav system so that it connects to the new aerial?

If there are any more modules involved, where are they?

I am sure somebody out there with more knowledge than I will be able to advise.

Thank you "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB
Now 2018MY Ford Fiesta ST Line 140bhp
Gone 2006MY BMW X5 3.0d Le Mans
Gone 2001MY BMW 530d Estate

Post #639077 Wed Jan 24 2024 9:50am
jimbg

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Have you tried eliminating the splitter? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2017 Discovery 3.0 HSE Silicon Silver Nimbus interior and a few extra toys SOLD

2013 HSE Black, Orkney Grey, Ebony Seats and Ivory Interior SOLD

2006 HSE

Plus a few other cars inbetween!

Post #639089 Wed Jan 24 2024 12:37pm
Heremyjill

Hello Jimbg,

Thank you for the feedback.

Removing the FAKRA splitter and even replacing it with another is on my To-Do list, but wanted some more input really before I take apart the dashboard again. "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB

Post #639104 Wed Jan 24 2024 5:49pm
jimbg

Silly question, but do you need a GPS input to the Android screen?

If you are using Android Auto for navigation then the GPS signal is coming from your phone. 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #639107 Wed Jan 24 2024 6:10pm
Heremyjill

The Android system has the capabilty of wireless connectivity for both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, but as I have a data sim attached to the Android system I am using that for all aspects of navigation/YouTube, Iplayer etc.

If I do connect to Apple CarPlay the GPS works as it should and I had thought that when my data sim expires, I may resort to using the phone connectivity for all. However, that is 20 months away and so would like to try and use the Android system stand alone in the mean time "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB

Post #639116 Wed Jan 24 2024 8:09pm
TheWojtek

If you connect your phone with Carplay, the unit does not use GPS at all. It works as a wireless interactive screen for the iPhone, what you see is obviously the iPhone locating itself accurately, not the main unit.

While Carplay has a functionality to query vehicle hardware (including GPS), there is no aftermarket unit that has the capability to respond to such queries, this is strictly limited to certain car manufacturers. So the aftermarket unit GPS will not take part in navigating while in Carplay.

As for the standalone mode - a GPS signal should actually not be needed at all (or may be really weak), as the position may be calculated by triangulation from cellular base towers in case of an unit with cellular data capability. Do browse the settings of the unit and try to find A-GPS (assisted GPS) settings, maybe they are not turned on? This enables the data interchanged by cell towers with the unit to be used for position calculation. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #639130 Thu Jan 25 2024 9:11am
Heremyjill

I understand that a connection using Apple CarPlay or Android Auto does allow the Android unit to use the capabilities of the phone, but there is still a red line through the GPS logo of the OEM system because that is not using the mobile phone

The Android unit does have a FAKRA socket for the GPS connection (hence the need for a FAKRA splitter) and that is presumably how the 'app' is seeing all of the satellites when the connection is working. That connection must also be used for Google Maps and Waze because as soon as I loose the GPS signal, both of those apps stop working and they do not show my true location after a few minutes. In fact the Waze app keeps me in the same position when the signal was lost for the rest of the journey

Happy to discuss further "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB

Post #639140 Thu Jan 25 2024 12:59pm
jimbg

Did your Android unit not come with a small GPS receiver?

Obviously the signal being split is giving you two weak signals, I would use the supplied receiver if you have one direct to the Android unit.

Do you have a link to the unit you are using? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #639141 Thu Jan 25 2024 1:38pm
Heremyjill

Yes the unit did come with its own GPS aerial, but trying to not have it showing on top of the dashboard I elected to use the FAKRA splitter. Using it would really be a last resort for me.

Here is the link of the unit I am using and I must admit I am really impressed with it:

https://rangeroverworld.co.uk/infotainment-upgrades

I should also add that this unit was installed in August 2023 and has performed perfectly with regards to the GPS (and the OEM system) until the start of November which was when the signal seemed to start playing up.

The suppliers are also on the case, but due to the lack of a GPS signal at the OEM unit I am not sure what they can suggest "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB

Post #639142 Thu Jan 25 2024 2:11pm
jimbg

Well in that case unfortunately all you can do is check all the connections are secure.

Sounds like you are going to have to go back in! Big Cry

Splitter are cheap enough, maybe source a new one before you start? 2023 P440e SE Dynamic on order -cancelled

2022 HSE Dynamic P400e

2006 HSE

Post #639143 Thu Jan 25 2024 2:29pm
TheWojtek

Heremyjill wrote:
Yes the unit did come with its own GPS aerial, but trying to not have it showing on top of the dashboard I elected to use the FAKRA splitter. Using it would really be a last resort for me.

No, in fact you should use it! Leaving it on the dashboard is obviously a no-go aesthetics-wise, but you can get a Fakra extension wire with a plug end and a socket end, route this extension under the plastic panels from the headunit to the back of the car and to the D-pillar, and it's not far from there to the shark fin.

Then you have options: either remove the shark fin, disassemble it, put the aftermarket GPS antenna inside, close it and fit back, or just stick your aftermarket GPS antenna in front of the shark fin (so you won't see it ever), using the shark fin mounting hole to route the cable. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---

Post #639154 Thu Jan 25 2024 7:56pm
Heremyjill

Thank you Wojtek, that is certainly an option

Another update to my predicament is that I have now used by GAP IId tool and found an error code that was not recorded before with the old aerial. It is error code "B119F-11 (2f) GPS Antenna circuit short to ground".

As it is a new aerial and I am sure I have installed it correctly I do not see how the error code is really linked to the new aerial. Does this help anybody else diagnose my overall issue?

Thank you "Every Day is a School Day"

Now 2014MY RRS SDV6 AB

Post #639218 Sun Jan 28 2024 7:55pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12