RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > East Coast possible flooding
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Orange RRS

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
East Coast possible flooding

Lived in Skegness for over 7 years and went through a similar situation in 2013 with the tidal surge and luckily stayed dry, slightly more worrying this time as just had a soldier knock on the door to warn us. Just had a quick look round the town and it looks like a war zone, army trucks and Defenders everywhere.
I am 100 yards from the sea normally, might be a lot closer either tomorrow morning or evening.
Any advice would be appreciated. Life's too short to drive boring cars !
2005 Supercharged First Edition
2013 Evoque

Post #514305 Thu Jan 12 2017 10:20pm
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hope your hanging on in there. Not thought much about any preparation for your RRS itself but perhaps a full tank if fuel, and some essential supplies, sleeping bags, warm clothing and stuff ready stored onboard would be a good precaution Question Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #514318 Fri Jan 13 2017 6:59am
Orange RRS

I know they have to be overly cautious regarding flood warnings but the tide was not even remotely high this morning during high tide. It never even reached the bottom of the slipway and would of needed to be at least 7 foot higher to cause any problems.
They are now saying the storm surge will not coincide with this evenings high tide and by then the gale force winds should of died down too.
I can't believe they have got this so wrong, it has scared half the town to death, some people stayed in an emergency shelter last night. Life's too short to drive boring cars !
2013 Evoque

Post #514319 Fri Jan 13 2017 7:23am
Eaters

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Zermatt Silver

The weather people seem to be suggesting this morning that it will be Suffolk and Essex that will get it! It does seem (in hindsight) to be a bit severe to deploy the army to Skegness but I guess better safe than sorry Robin
2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8
Gone:
Jaguar S-Type V8 4.2 Sport
MGZTT 190 2.5

Post #514320 Fri Jan 13 2017 7:27am
GodivaNige

England 

Following the storms last year when the people of Cumbria & Lancashire etc lambasted the EA for lack of warning and preparation, I guess they erred on the side of extreme caution. Still, it's a good thing the forecast was wrong and nobody has suffered.
Much like Heathrow canceling so many flights yesterday, probably very unnecessary but at least travellers could make alternative plans rather than being stuck in the airport for hours on end, should the worst have happened.

Post #514321 Fri Jan 13 2017 7:35am
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Eaters wrote:
It does seem (in hindsight) to be a bit severe to deploy the army to Skegness

It's to acclimatise them for a stint in Afghanistan. Laughing

Post #514332 Fri Jan 13 2017 9:31am
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Sorry Donny,

BUT THAT ISN'T EVEN REMOTELY HUMOROUS!

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #514359 Fri Jan 13 2017 12:46pm
riverblanche

United Kingdom 

Hi Orangerrs,
from experience Big Cry
have a waterproof case with important docs (pelicase) Insurance, bank, passports and just have a think before hand IF you had to walk out of your house what would you want/be able to take with you Dogs Thumbs Up swmbo Confused

Anything you would not want to lose but can not take with you Raise off the ground or move upstairs

From what I understand a Tidal surge you don't get much warning about, its like a big Aegir

Leave your RRS parked in Off Road height and as said fuelled up

If you do a bit of prep and nothing happens it only cost you a bit of time

Thumbs Up

Post #514396 Fri Jan 13 2017 6:13pm
Orange RRS

Thanks for the advice, high tide has just passed and the sea is considerably lower than it was in 2013, the waves are huge but no water has come over the defences in Skeggy.
Hope the rest of the East Coast are as lucky
This was the Environment Agency predicted !!!!!
 Life's too short to drive boring cars !
2013 Evoque

Post #514401 Fri Jan 13 2017 6:46pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Hornsea got quite badly affected I believe. Scarborough got a bit damp along the sea front. Looks like some places got away without any flooding, which is good news. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #514407 Fri Jan 13 2017 8:28pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Yep, was a scary day, evening and night, we had swarms of police and soldiers walking about knocking on doors asking people to jump on the evacuation busses laid on. My wife and i stayed put, we live on at the southern end of the seafront in Great Yarmouth and we remember the previous 2 occasions this happened. The first time we moved everything upstairs and left, the second we moved what we could upstairs and stayed put, this time we stayed put and hoped for the best. But doing some research put my mind at ease as, the land we live is 4.2 meters above sea level, and the forecast we were given was a 3.3 meter sea level increase. If memory serves me well, the previous 2013 came in at 3.2 meters and never breached the sea wall, although it was high enough to swallow up the entire beach up to the promenade. And although extremely windy and gusty, you could tell the strength of the wind had died down and direction had changed. Also being told that it wasn't so much the concern of the sea breaching walls, but more of the river overflowing from behind us. (which is a considerable distance away compared to the sea) . So it was my gamble and it paid of this time.

I won't ever criticise the judgements made because quite frankly they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't.. For me living in this situation I would much rather be over prepared and forewarned than having something left to chance and actually be told not to worry as nothing is going to happen, *cough* Michael fish *cough*

my thoughts are with the few who wasn't as lucky.

Post #514668 Mon Jan 16 2017 12:06pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1