RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > Police Check - Private plate question....
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White
Police Check - Private plate question....

Hey folks, hope you had a good Christmas!

Got pulled in my RRS at one of those spot checks the other morning. Tyre check, breathalyser etc.

The police officer told me my plate was not legal - which i kinda knew as it didn't have the postcode proper BS stamp etc.

I agreed to have it changed and was sent on my way. I do have the proper plates already made up in the boot tbh.

I did some research on private plate layout and from what i can see from the DVLA site -
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications...ber-plates

...there is nothing specific about which numbers and letters need to be in which group on a cherished plates. It goes on about letter spacing and group spacing 33mm etc, but nothing about which numbers and letter combination are to be in which group.

e.g. my cherished plate is D1 6HRS (for Di and Chris). I purchased it as D16 HRS.

As there are loads of different cherished plates its impossible to adhere to 1 Letter, 2 numbers, 3 letter rules.

Can someone clarify the rules on this? I saw that a poor chap was fined 1000 for having W1LDN as one long combination when it should have been W1 LDN as you can't have more than 4 letters and numbers together apparently. But again i can't even see this rule?

I can't honestly see whats wrong with D1 6HRS with the appropriate spacings, letter heights etc. But i wan't to remain legal.

Cheers Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #513088 Thu Dec 29 2016 9:22am
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

I would say you have answered your own question, you purchased it as D16 HRS and that is exactly what it is Thumbs Up

2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #513091 Thu Dec 29 2016 10:02am
Camelrock

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Tangiers Orange

Check out the MOT tester guide section 6-3 registration plates- additional information. 2008 G4 RRSport TDV8 current
2009 TDCi 90 current
2018 Discovery 5 HSE lux current
1994 Dakar current

Post #513093 Thu Dec 29 2016 10:17am
Mr Rusty

Scotland 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Thanks guys

The Police officer said it would pass an MOT ok when he mentioned it. I checked 6.3 and it does not state about particular groupings. Just the gap again.

However as Buckster mentioned i guess the DVLA as sold format is the original layout and it does state any alteration from this is an offence. Its likely more to do with revenue than it is for a need to be legible i woulds suspect as D1 6HRS is as legible as D16 HRS at any distance. If people could make up names by moving characters into groups then they wouldn't need to buy expensive plates from DVLA. However arguably V1CKY for instance is more memorable than V1 CKY.

Oh well. Thumbs Up 2015 RRS AB SDV6, Fuji White, Ivory
2012 RRS HSE SDV6, Sumatra Black and Ivory
Audi A5, 3.0 TDI, Gone
Audi TT, 3.2 V6, Gone
BMW 5 series tourer, Gone

Post #513097 Thu Dec 29 2016 11:28am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1