Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Upgrade to Range Rover Sport
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JamesD80

United Kingdom 
Upgrade to Range Rover Sport

Hi Guys,

I think I'm going to upgrade to the Sport in the new year so I was looking for advise on specs. I've been to a couple dealers but I don't trust them to be impartial.

I have an Evoque SD4 Hatchback Dynamic 13 plate. I had a few teething issues with it but nothing too major, I'm hoping that a Sport upgrade would be more reliable?!?!!

My current spec:

2.2 SD4 Dynamic (manual)
Mauritius blue
ebony leather
Panoramic sunroof
Shadow alloys
Meridian

My initial thought is to go for the HSE and keep the spec around about the same as I'm used to but is it worth looking for a decent price on a 16 model year? From what I gather with my local dealer they haven't changed too much.

Also this is probably a sacrilegious question but would it be a complete faux pas to go for the 2.0 over the 3.0? I have concerns about the potential fuel economy?!?!?!?

So in the first instance what do we think - 16 model or 17 model/2.0 or 3.0?

Any help is greatly appreciated

J

Post #512385 Fri Dec 16 2016 2:50pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The 17MY adds the newer 10 inch infotainment system, so I'd go with that, though it has had its problems in the Jags.
Reliability, maybe expect a few more problems as the its a more complex car.
I don't think a 4 cylinder engine should ever go in a range rover personally, can't imagine it to be as half as smooth or quiet as the 3.0.

Post #512392 Fri Dec 16 2016 3:51pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Re: Upgrade to Range Rover Sport

JamesD80 wrote:
I have concerns about the potential fuel economy?!?!?!?

A 2.5 tonne 4x4 is probably not the best choice of vehicle for you then... Whistle Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #512401 Fri Dec 16 2016 4:31pm
JamesD80

United Kingdom 

LOL

I did mean with such a small engine dragging a huge car around. I'm happy with the economy of the 3.0.. I dont trust LR's official MPG figures to be anywhere near accurate. One of the girls who works for me ordered a 1.2 TDI A3 which was supposed to get 60MPG... actually gets in the low 20's

Post #512404 Fri Dec 16 2016 4:45pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I've had two Evoques (both Dynamics one a coupe the other a 5 door) and then come back to RRS 2015MY. Difference is chalk and cheese - the fit and finish of the RRS is so much better than the Evoque that they could have been made by different companies. There are a few of us here who have come from Evqoue or have both Evoque and RRS. There isn't much between 2016 and 2015MY, introduction of adBlu and a smaller fuel tank and some minor changes to the in car tech. I would steer clear of the 2.0ltr as the engine is relatively new and despite the RRS having been on a diet I think that the 2.0ltr might be an under performer on all fronts - SDv6 3.0 is a well proven engine and there are few problems with them. If your pocket can stretch to it I would go for a Dynamic over a straight HSE, the difference in handling is noticeable and is the next step on from the Evoque's Dynamic mode. If you can get a dealership to let you have a test drive of both over a weekend. One thing I would say........ if you are offered one on 22" wheels don't sniff at it, the ride is as good on 22's as it is on 21's or 20's there is a tiny bit more tyre noise. Fuel consumption is actually better on my RRS SDv6 than my 1st 6 speed auto Evqoue 2.2 and matches the 2nd one which was a 2.2 9 speed auto. The get up and go from the SDv6 Dynamic (it has a higher out put than the palin HSE) leaves the Evqoue choking in the RRS's exhaust fumes! I don't do any commuting in my cars and live in the countryside with goo roads and I am averaging 36mpg over 12 months with mixed A road/motorway/off-road use. One thing with 2016MY - the bog standard ICE is crap compared to 2015 which was a Meridian - on 2016MY Meridian was an upgrade at extra cost. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Last edited by Tim in Scotland on Fri Dec 16 2016 5:06pm. Edited 2 times in total

Post #512406 Fri Dec 16 2016 4:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

I wouldn't go with the 4cyl engine in the RRS.

Having experienced how smooth the 3.0 SDV6 was in our 2013 RRS compared to the 4cyl Igenium engine in the Discovery Sport the refinement is worlds apart. Yes the new 4cyl engine is refined for a 4cyl diesel and yes, there may be better sound proofing and dampening of the 4cyl engine in the RRS, but a 4cyl can never attain the smoothness and refinement of the 6cyl.

Post #512407 Fri Dec 16 2016 4:56pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
I don't do any commuting in my cars and live in the countryside with goo roads .

Do you get stuck very often? Wink

Post #512440 Fri Dec 16 2016 9:09pm
fullrangesims

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 Autobiography Bourneville

I have to agree, the 6cyl really is by leaps and bounds better machine. Its among the smoothest rides I've ever experienced. Particularly with a few choice upgrades. In fact, I've recently been adding some extra sound proofing and dampening elements to mine - just to ensure that its really at the top of its game. Some great deals for autozone here https://www.couponbox.com/coupons/autozone
Would highly recommend to all of you.

Post #512776 Thu Dec 22 2016 9:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1