RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > Questions regarding new Autobiography order.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

donny dog

United Kingdom 
Questions regarding new Autobiography order.

As a newcomer to this site, I have only just discovered what an 'L494' is, so ended up posting a couple of queries about a new order in the wrong place! Anyway, I have resolved one of my questions (about HUD - which I have decided to specify) but am still in a quandary about the other. This relates to whether to opt for an SDV8 instead of an SDV6. From the point of view of extra torque across a wider range of revs, and a better-sounding engine noise, I am about sold. However, a couple of comments on here have made me concerned about the handling. The big question is this - does the heavier engine and higher centre of gravity adversely affect the handling? If so, does the dynamic facility successfully control this effect, or does the SDV6 remain superior in this regard? I don't want to pay an extra £6,500 and end up regretting it! (Unfortunately, my local dealer has not been able to get one for me to test - apparently they are as rare as hens' teeth!). Has anyone driven or owned cars with both engines who can comment?

A further (minor) issue which has arisen relates to mats. The Autobiography is shown as having 'Premium Mats' as standard front and rear, yet 'Premium Mats' are shown as an accessory (front pair only) at £250. There are also tailored 'Luxury Mats' at £215. At the same time, 'Premium Mats' are listed as an extra-cost option with the HSE at £70! Despite the mats having the same name, I presume they are actually different, and that the £70 mats (i.e. the standard fit in an AB) are inferior. However, even if that is the case, why is the cost the same when purchased as an accessory when it is really an upgrade in the AB - surely the accessory 'Premium Mats' should be £70 cheaper? Also, what is the difference between 'Premium' and 'Luxury'? Can anyone who has specified these mats cast any light on this?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Post #510804 Sat Nov 26 2016 2:43pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

A friend of mine as the V8 & he has driven mine & he says mine is a lot better when throwing into corners with it being lighter on the front end,he says his a bit quicker on acceleration but hardly noticeable plus the road tax is twice as much.
When I bought my AB I asked the dealer about a V8 they had in stock & he said they are struggling to sell it because of the high road tax compared to the V6 & the V8 does about 6-10 mpg less,,if I were ordering new I would stick with the V6.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #510806 Sat Nov 26 2016 3:31pm
wilf

So little in it performance-wise. If you really want performance, go 5.0 s/c!

And I came from a great-handling Jag saloon (XFS) to the RRS, so for me, nimbleness of "turn in" was important, and I was not disappointed in the V6. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #510815 Sat Nov 26 2016 4:51pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks for your help (and the quick responses!). Your comments support some of the negative opinions I'd read, although there are some real supporters of SDV8s out there as well. I think the writing is on the wall that I should stick to the SDV6 I've ordered.

Post #510825 Sat Nov 26 2016 7:15pm
SVR575

United Kingdom 

Put it this way, if i wanted the FFRR then it would have to be the SDV8 engine. If i was to order a new Sport then i would go for the SDV6 engine. SVR 2018 in Santorini Black.

Post #510953 Mon Nov 28 2016 3:13pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Seeing as you have 'TDV8' in your forum name, you may the man to ask this question (while I display my ignorance!0 What do the 'T' and 'S' in TDV8, SDV8, etc. refer to?

Post #511041 Tue Nov 29 2016 3:05pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

TDv8 is the "old" RRS L320, 3.6l motor and SDv8 is the "new" RRS L494 with the 4.4l V8 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511051 Tue Nov 29 2016 4:17pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

donny dog wrote:
What do the 'T' and 'S' in TDV8, SDV8, etc. refer to?

Turbo

Sequential Turbo

Post #511055 Tue Nov 29 2016 4:40pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Thanks! I could only think of 'twin' and 'single', which obviously didn't make sense.

Post #511065 Tue Nov 29 2016 5:56pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1