RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Nordic Winter Driving
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

davecg69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey
Nordic Winter Driving

I've been thinking about taking my 2012 RRS up to Sweden over the Xmas break - I have family up there. It currently has Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 275/40 ZR20 - but they're low profile and I was wondering if I shouldn't get heavier tyres, as it's pretty snowy/icy there.
What's the general thought?
Cheers!

Post #510508 Mon Nov 21 2016 9:20pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Not sure what you mean by "heavier tyres" but certainly I would be looking at winter tyres. Fit them now and benefit from them all winter long. Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #510519 Tue Nov 22 2016 8:00am
davecg69

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Cheers. I meant winter types - but I was unsure if I could fit them on low-profiles. Also in Sweden, when I drove before, I was using studded tyres (which of course you can't use on ordinary roads) and I wondered if I should get another set of wheels with those and change them over there - or am I being paranoic! Have never driven the RR in snowy/icy conditions - I live in the warm south Wink

Post #510525 Tue Nov 22 2016 10:10am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I thought that in most North European countries after October each year you have to run on winter tyres or studded tyres, even 4x4 capable cars. I've just come home from a 2 week holiday in Norway (not with the car) and nearly all the cars seemed to be on studded tyres, even the 4x4's, and that was late October early November. We had several good dumps of snow up in Kirkeness and as far south as Bergen where there was chaos after the first heavy dump of the winter!
I used to run my previous RRS's and Evoques on 20" Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snow tyres and they were great even in such a large size when combined with the Grass/ Gravel and Snow setting on the Terrain Response. I have driven from Southampton to Stirling where there was 3-4" of snow on the M6 and much more on the M74 and in GGS Mode the car handled really well, it won't let you stamp on the loud peddle (well you can but nothing will happen!) but gradually feeds in drive and as it senses the available grip allows you to slowly slow accelerate. It takes some getting used to but gives a really reassuring drive in snowy conditions, you have to remember not to get too carried away though as 2.7t of SUV takes a fair bit of stopping in snow and on ice, the studded tyres would help with that. bear in mind that in the UK it is illegal to use studs on the highways. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510534 Tue Nov 22 2016 3:10pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Pakolainen

Finland 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 Autobiography Rimini Red

In finland, where i am the law states that all cars must have winter tyres by November 1st. We had a good dump of snow recently and they do come in useful. However it has now all melted.

2 options, winter tires - the chunkier grip version - less road noise less chance of losing studs when conditions are like now ä- no snow.
Studded tires - better grip but more road noise and not so good when no snow.

as you're only going on holiday, the winter tires might be more beneficial as you can then still use them in the UK.

I was running 20" over the summer and am now on 18"'s

Steve 2019 RRS P400e Autobiography
2014 RRS 3.0 TDV6 HSE Dynamic
2006 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSe
Alfa Romeo Guillietta 2.0 JTDM 2011
Mazda 3 1.6 2010
Subaru Impreza 2.0 WRX 2005

Post #510578 Wed Nov 23 2016 6:59am
Pufftmw

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Quote:
In finland, where i am the law