Page 1 of 2 12>

muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 
2 minutes (posting) silence at 11am on the 11th

The chaps on Disco do this and I think it's a fantastic gesture Bow down

6 minutes to go and hope everyone will join me in observing this Thumbs Up

Click image to enlarge
 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #509825 Fri Nov 11 2016 11:54am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Still get shivers hearing this despite being a bugler many years ago and playing it on many remembrance days Sad

?t=26 Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #509826 Fri Nov 11 2016 12:14pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Totally agree, we should not forget the fallen. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #509827 Fri Nov 11 2016 12:31pm
BKHK

Australia 

I think that it would be appropriate after the 100th anniversary that we should move on. A century of honoring is enough.

Post #509828 Fri Nov 11 2016 12:47pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Shocked

My Grandad fought in WW2 and survived but with mental scars - I still miss him terribly and think of him today specially. Swmbo lost her grandad 3 weeks before end of WW2 in merchant navy torpedo attack (he was exempt as a fisherman but enlisted) - she never knew him but her Mum said her life was never the same afterwards Sad

100 years from WW1 isn't the whole picture - for many it's even less - Falklands/Gulf/Iraq/Afghanistan has taken too many and they are remembered today also Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #509829 Fri Nov 11 2016 1:01pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Muddy you point out something that many people forget about Remberence Day - it isn't only the members of the Armed Forces we commemorate but also the civilian services like the Merchant Navy, Fishermen and the Auxilary services who have given their life in time of conflict - just look at all the groups who will be parading at the Cenotaph on Sunday, they are not all Soldiers, Sailors or Airmen. I am very proud to have been asked to lay the wreath on our village war memorial on Sunday on behalf of everyone in the village 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #509836 Fri Nov 11 2016 2:23pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Zilch

Australia 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

Its to commemorate the losses over the last Century, not just a century ago, In Germany the Army/RAF jointly commemorated the hour/day with our colleagues in the Bundeswehr .. so other nations too recognise the poignancy,..
its a time to reflect and ensure people understand the sacrifices others have made.. Tomorrow after the remembrance
Sunday service, many veterans , be they military, merchant navy, auxilillary will raise a glass to those who cannot be with them .. i for one would not like to see it diminished, its a point in time where people can gather their thoughts.. Another Pommie Bar Steward down under

MY20 Defender 110 SE P400 Eiger/Ebony
MY10 3.0 RRS TDv6 Fuji/Ebony/Anigre

Post #509889 Sat Nov 12 2016 11:16am
BKHK

Australia 

I know and I am not trying to be horrible, but why don't we remember other battles and wars further back in history? It just seems odd that we seem to start rememberance time in 1918.

Post #509891 Sat Nov 12 2016 12:15pm
Blueskye1

Wales 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Doesn't make for good reading Crying or Very sad

UK numbers according to Wiki...

Click image to enlarge

Dad was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers based in Wrexham (not Welsh & hardly ever spoke about the war miss him a lot R.I.P. Pop)

One reason for now living in Wales Thumbs Up

Respect to all Bow down

Andrew My first RRS HSE Purchased June 2016
Java Black 2.7
Date of first registration 22 February 2008
Cousin of the King of Stamford Bridge R.I.P. Ossie

Last edited by Blueskye1 on Sat Nov 12 2016 3:35pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #509892 Sat Nov 12 2016 12:43pm
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

I think it's because WW1 the losses were so massive it affected everyone (some villages lost all the young men) and there was a strong feeling something was needed to commemorate this Confused

Nobody expected WW2 would follow and their sons would be lost next - the effect on 2 generations so soon is incomprehensible to many now - I was born in the 60s and my Gran told me some of what they went through but my Grandad spent the war in France mainly and didn't talk much about it - my auntie was 5 when he came home and they said this is your Dad but she didn't know him Sad

I remember in the 80s Grandad had a neighbour who was a German soldier in WW2 and they were great friends despite or perhaps because of what they both experienced. He didn't receive his medals automatically but refused to ask for them - my brother applied for them after his death and now has them.

Swmbo has her grandads medals and log books from the convoys and the telegram announcing his death - we always intended to take her mum to the Merchant Navy memorial but sadly never found the time before she died

I think as numbers of those who fought, their children and grandchildren like myself dwindle the next generations are probably going to lose interest which is sad but I hope they never have to experience another WW - it's been terrible for people I know who served in the Falklands and Gulf War but it hasn't touched so many lives as WW1/2 - people have become so used to hearing of deaths in Afghanistan/Iraq that they don't even notice now - I think that's terrible especially for their families but this is the age we live in

I'm as guilty as the next of moaning about 1st world problems and at times like this when we remember it puts everything in perspective Bow down Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #509895 Sat Nov 12 2016 1:00pm
ravingmad

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

Very well put Muddy. MY13.5 Autobiography, Santorini Black, Privacy Glass. Gone
Driving a milk float for now.

Post #509896 Sat Nov 12 2016 1:20pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Muddy if your grandad served on merchant ships in the Arctic Convoys he may be entitled to (if his family have not already applied) for the Russian medal struck to honour those who served on those awful awful convoys. The medal is called the Ushakov Medal and I have several MN colleagues who served in the Arctic Convoys who were very surprised to find that they were entitled to the medal, especially after OUR civil service refused to allow these men to be honoured by Russia until two years ago.
http://rusemb.org.uk/ushakov/

BTW if you are ever near to Arawas in the Midlands then you should take some time out to visit the National Arboretum which has a vast area set out as a "living" war memorial - there is a Merchant Navy "Convoy" with a tree that represents every Merchant Ship that was sunk during the last war and a lovely memorial garden 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #509898 Sat Nov 12 2016 2:06pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

Cheers Tim Bow down

It was SWMBO Grandad - only 30 when he died on S.S. Crichtoun but we have his old log books and know he was round Iceland much of the war so will look into this Thumbs Up

This thread prompted me to do some research and found a bit more information which we have saved and also decided to get his things out of the box (left by her mum) and see about displaying them somewhere Embarassed Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Post #509899 Sat Nov 12 2016 3:30pm
BKHK

Australia 

It's a difficult subject. My maternal Grandfather fought in WW2, he was wounded and died at a relatively young age in the late 1960s. I was just a boy. He didn't like Remembrance Day, he just wanted to forget and tend his allotment. He would always be in his shed on 11/11 so he didn't have to remember it.

Post #509933 Sat Nov 12 2016 11:37pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Id like to start by saying I've served in the army, but I think its all a joke to be honest (rememberance day), don't get me wrong I have the up most respect for anyone who has served their country. I've lost friends myself and would never belittle the things people have done.
But what do we get for our service, nothing...
People have sacrificed lives, families and their health to serve for their country and just tossed aside and forgotten about in the end. They do more nowadays, but nowhere near enough. Look at the homeless veterans.
Serve 18 years and you get a Censored pension.
The people who have lost their lives for our or even just our governments benefit are just forgotten hero's.
I choose to remember these hero's on a daily basis.
We need to pay our military more and supply long term viable options for them when they leave.

Post #509935 Sun Nov 13 2016 12:44am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>