RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > sdv6 buying advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

david555

sdv6 buying advice

Hello everyone.

As soon as my bmw sells I'm going to be buying a 61-12 plate rrs sdv6. With about 70k.

Just after some buying advice. Anything to look for in particular?
I know the obvious such as nice smooth gear changes, make sure engine sounds ok. No knocks when drove.
Will be buying one with full service history.
Any help would be great and hopefully ill soon have my first rr!!

Post #509609 Tue Nov 08 2016 8:25pm
PEACHY

England 

Welcome to the forum Thumbs Up you have come to the right place for everything RRS Whistle
Warranty essential - if your Sport is purchased from an approved used Landrover dealership it will come with 2 years warranty included. This will then cover expensive issues you may be unfortunate too encounter.

If you find any potential purchases post the links on here - advice is free Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #509611 Tue Nov 08 2016 8:54pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
david555

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-61-Land-Rover...Ciid%253A2

This is one I really like. Good car. Ok mileage
good price. Not from an approved dealer. So id probably get a standard 3 month warranty unless i paid for more.
I do tend to do alot of working on my cars and I also have a friend with a garage. (they love there discos and defenders)
So they do know a fair bit and they always help me with any bigger jobs.

Post #509614 Tue Nov 08 2016 9:08pm
PEACHY

England 

It looks factory standard - no unwanted mods or unsightly accessories. I appreciate your comments regarding mechanical know how & support but the parts are Censored expensive. The consumable parts that historically fail on the Sport start from about £150 for suspension components ( per side ) up to £1100 for ARC bars - electronic handbrake modules £350 - suspension compressors £450. I've not heard of many major engine failures on the SDV6.
Have you done your homework regarding the different model specs both interior & exterior Wink 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.

Post #509617 Tue Nov 08 2016 9:31pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
david555

Thank you for your help Smile
The only two ive come across in my budget are the se and the hse.
As far as I can tell the hse is nearly top of the range par the lux version then the other versions such as Kahn, autobiography, hst.
Ive noticed the se has smaller wheels and not as nice seats. I also believe they are some electronic differences.
I think id be more then happy with the hse spec. What's your opinion?

Post #509620 Tue Nov 08 2016 9:41pm
PEACHY

England 

It's all about personal taste - the AB has the exterior pack which can also sometimes be found on the HSE - rear privacy glass is also a nice touch Rolling Eyes the 12MY - 61 plate onwards has the powered tailgate. If you look in my Gallery you can see a few pics - there has been some forum members that have had HSE versions with a lot of extras fitted when ordered new - this may appeal too some but not all Very Happy 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Post #509622 Tue Nov 08 2016 9:49pm
david555

Yeah I know what you mean.
I like the standard hse exterior but I'm not so keen on the AB exterior.
Is there any internal tech differences?

Post #509632 Wed Nov 09 2016 7:41am
DrRob

United Kingdom 

Have Land Rover got any in your price range under their Approved Used? They come with 2 years warranty..... Thumbs Up Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #509636 Wed Nov 09 2016 9:21am
david555

Hello. Currently not. Last time I looked they had nothing pre 14 plate Sad

Post #509649 Wed Nov 09 2016 11:48am
david555

Sorry, but...
So what should I actually look out for when looking at one?
Ive read about making sure the suspension raises and lowers correctly, quietly and equally
Also stays raised and doesn't slowly sink.
To check that all the offroad modes work (diffs lock and stuff) but how would I know?
And apart from the usual stuff as you would on all cars, knocks and bangs.
Funny sounding engine. Is there anything else I should look for?

Post #509783 Thu Nov 10 2016 7:40pm
PEACHY

England 

Take this along with you - it's for the pre facelift model but the later version is predominantly the same Thumbs Up

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums/us...uide~0.pdf 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............

Last edited by PEACHY on Thu Nov 10 2016 8:14pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #509784 Thu Nov 10 2016 7:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

David, to check the "off road mode" the only thing you need to do is to start the engine, put the main gear selector to N and then move the Hi/Lo transfer switch into Low. It will then activate the transfer case by an electro hydraulic mechanism that should operate smoothly and quietly. If you wind down the driver's wind before pressing the Hi.Lo rocker switch then you might hear a quiet noise as the system changes over, it will make a quiet noise but nothing clunky or noisy. Apart from that you cannot check the operation of the Terrain Response system - it is fully electronic and as you switch betweem settings it will remap suspension/engine/ gearbox ECU's and will request activation of the Hill Dscent Control on some of them. After checking the transfer case operates OK (or not), re-select Hi and the change back should again be smooth and quiet. If the car is one with the optional e-diff fitted (or is on where it was standard fit) there is no way to test that. BTW NEVER drive the car on a hard surface road in low ratio, you cause transmission wind up that can damage the transmission system. Only other bit of the off-road gear is the suspension which should go up to off-road height quietly, smoothly and quickly. Even if you never intend to take the vehicle off-road you should still test the Hi/Lo change over operates - it isn't hugely expensive to repai but if the car has been properly looked after it should have been operated at a minimum monthly - I suspect that the vast majority of owners don't even know what the transfer box is or does and never operate the system............ it will then seizing up through lack of use. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #509788 Thu Nov 10 2016 7:54pm
david555

Thanks peachy very good document!!
Also thank you Tim, hopefully the one ive posted the link to I'm going to go see soon. Fingers crossed everything is ok on it!
Thank you again guys Smile

Post #509789 Thu Nov 10 2016 7:59pm
david555

One last question before I take the plunge and spend alot of hard earned cash (took me ages to convince the misses to give me the money!) haha
How reliable are the sdv6?
Ive seeing so many horror story's and heard about how "unreliable" they are meant to be compared to other 4x4s.
But the mainly seem to be older range rovers...
I just don't want to spend alot of money and have problems!
But if I'm correct the sdv6 is when jaguar got more involved? More reliable?
Or am I taking rubbish? Lol

Post #510129 Tue Nov 15 2016 7:36pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The later models seem to be more reliable than the 2005 -2009 (pre-facelift) L320's , but you really must be prepared for a disaster with any used LR product............... having said that I also own a 1996 Defender that has been seriously abused off-road - it has never broken down, in 20 years it has had a replacement chassis (a known issue with 1996 TDi300 Defenders) due to severe corrosion (cost me £2000 including a new galvanized chassis to repair), a new transfer gearbox (because I ran it for 100 miles with no oil in it after landing heavily on an underwater rock while off-roading in deep water), a replacement rear door last year and 1 new battery. It was delivered with the optional cat on the exhaust but when that went I had the EGR blanked and the electronics removed about 10 years ago. That's been it in 20 years! It does about 2000 miles a year but 90% of them are heavy off-roading - i.e. Using the car for what it was designed to do! It also has no fancy electronics to go wrong. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #510130 Tue Nov 15 2016 7:46pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>