RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Faults & Fixes > Strange transmission thump finally FIXED!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black
Strange transmission thump finally FIXED!!

Thanks to the excellent Dave and co at Bristol Transmissions I'm absolutely delighted to report that the odd transmission fault that has plagued my RRS ever since I have owned it (4 years!) is finally fixed.

I've posted about this before so if so inclined you can read previous posts or look in my gallery for a detailed description but basically the facts are these:

There was a brief thump from the transmission after about 20 minutes from a cold start and it would repeat thereafter about every 20 miles.

If cruise was engaged it would be cancelled and sometimes the 'HDC fault system not available' warning would flash up on the dash. The fault code 'U0101-87 lost communication with TCM' would be recorded for the Transfer Case Control Module (TCCM). There was also an apparently unrelated fault code of B1B70 'local interconnection network bus circuit 2' from the Body Control Module (BCM).

Using the IID Tool to monitor live values revealed it was caused by the torque converter unlocking and re-locking within a second or so.

Further monitoring of live values ruled out various reasons for this including the wheel speed sensors and the EGR valves.

The first thump always seemed to coincide with the engine and/or gearbox reaching full operating temperature. Further live monitoring and recording of all available temperatures and related voltages showed that there was something odd about the gearbox temperature sensor voltages especially the supply voltage which spiked to zero coinciding with the thump.

Unfortunately the gearbox temperature sensor (which is the thermistor type) is built in to the transmission control module (TCM) which is an integral part of the gearbox mechatronic which is situated inside the gearbox sump. So changing it is not a small matter.

Finally after trying many simpler fixes the job was handed over the the experts. The gearbox sump was dropped and the mechatronic replaced with a good used unit fitted with a new set of valve bodies.

The problem is now resolved. None of the fault codes and messages mentioned above now re-appear. Hallelujahj!!

Big thanks to Bristol Transmissions who did the job at a very fair price. Bow down Bow down 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #507822 Fri Oct 14 2016 4:36pm
panda

2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Must be like driving a new car. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 

Supporting the London Air Ambulance with my Brothers

Post #507866 Sat Oct 15 2016 2:43pm
CANROVER

Canada 2010 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Congrats!!!! Isn't it nice to know you can now get into your car without fear of some fault popping up...

Thumbs Up

Post #509071 Tue Nov 01 2016 11:23am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1