Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Newbie/ Wannabe looking for advice
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Ice Cube

United Kingdom 
Newbie/ Wannabe looking for advice

Morning All
I'm currently a member of the JLR family, I own an S Type Jaguar (apologies for swearing) but have had a yearning to own an RRS for many, many years.
My current car is set up as a sports model with very stiff suspension, which I'm getting tired of, and now I'm looking for a much more comfortable ride, my missus also needs to feel safe in a car, I believe when she sits in an RRS there will be no other car for her in the future. I am considering the V8 / Supercharged (used)
So if you don't mind, could I ask some possibly very stupid questions? Is the ride in an RRS "Stiff" I won't be going off road in it. I haven't been in a Range Rover since I was a kid, and know practically nothing about them.
I don't know what further info too provide at the moment, but I'm more than happy to give more detail, if it helps you guys, in helping me decide.
I will apologise now for the numerous idiotic questions that will ensue Bow down
Any guidance, greatly appreciated
Regards
Steve

Post #508629 Wed Oct 26 2016 11:03am
Andrewuk1986

Wales 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I'm relatively new to a 3.0 tdi2010 so can't give lots of info but I wouldn't say it's stuff nor spongey. It handles wel for a big old lump. I went from a mondeo st tdci so anything was a plus in the suspension side of things but you'll find you'll drive totally different. I now poodle around town casually enjoying the drive instead of giving it the beans.

My advice is to go and try one as you'll fall in love I'm sure

Post #508632 Wed Oct 26 2016 11:20am
dpg123

United Kingdom 

Hi, my wife chose a 2010 TDV8 which we got about 5 months ago. I have a Boxster which is low and stiff, so the RRS is very different! I find it extremely comfortable, the ride is surprisingly compliant, consistent and smooths out potholes and speed bumps very well. Motorway cruising is a breeze and I was pleasantly surprised at how well it gets along a B road.
In terms of engine, I find the TDV8 just about perfect. It sounds great, especially for a diesel, and I'd argue it's about as powerful an engine you'd want in a car of this type.
I'd go for a facelift model if the budget allows as the interior is really a lovely place to be.
Good luck!

Post #508636 Wed Oct 26 2016 11:42am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

The S type sport are uncomfortable / hard ride.

You will not have that issue with an RRS.

The 2.7D & 4.2 engines are very similar to an S type.

Fuel consumption is a lot worse though (due to weight)

Post #508639 Wed Oct 26 2016 12:09pm
Ice Cube

United Kingdom 

Thanks Chaps
For such a quick response.
I have to wait for a month or so, before I can go sit in one (doing that before the funds are available would just wind me up)

My budget would be circa 10 - 15k would that get me a facelift? Probably not I think,
Most of my driving is at weekends, and strangely enough B roads are involved, with certain sections being quite rutted, from farm vehicles. The back end of my current car actually leaves the ground over some speed bumps at speeds of about 5 MPH, so the suspension is really stiff, in a perfect world I'd want a car that would drive over these so I wouldn't notice! and poodling around in comfort is exactly what I'm looking for, I do have a heavy right foot when I fancy it, so having that power under the bonnet is a bonus! Running costs not to much of a concern, I do approx 3-4K a year, lower tax band would be preferred, I don't know what servicing costs are to be expected, and it would be good to hear from any members that live in the London area to get an idea of insurance costs

Post #508644 Wed Oct 26 2016 12:26pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

Just to disagree with everyone else... I've found the ride to be surprisingly firm on both my sports, 09 and 10MY. I'm sure it'll be more compliant than an S Type, but don't expect to waft over everything like a FFRR.

Post #508645 Wed Oct 26 2016 12:35pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Insurance and servicing will be more.

Post #508649 Wed Oct 26 2016 1:00pm
Andrewuk1986

Wales 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

If it's a weekend toy I'd forget about how much it costs. Just get in it and enjoy it. Life's for living Wink

Post #508654 Wed Oct 26 2016 1:27pm
Ice Cube

United Kingdom 

HemoRRS wrote:
Just to disagree with everyone else... I've found the ride to be surprisingly firm on both my sports, 09 and 10MY. I'm sure it'll be more compliant than an S Type, but don't expect to waft over everything like a FFRR.

FFRR?

Post #508657 Wed Oct 26 2016 2:00pm
HemoRRS

Full fat Range Rover Thumbs Up

Post #508660 Wed Oct 26 2016 2:18pm
dpg123

United Kingdom 

Ice Cube wrote:
Thanks Chaps
I have to wait for a month or so, before I can go sit in one (doing that before the funds are available would just wind me up)

My budget would be circa 10 - 15k would that get me a facelift? Probably not I think,
Most of my driving is at weekends, and strangely enough B roads are involved, with certain sections being quite rutted, from farm vehicles. The back end of my current car actually leaves the ground over some speed bumps at speeds of about 5 MPH, so the suspension is really stiff, in a perfect world I'd want a car that would drive over these so I wouldn't notice! and poodling around in comfort is exactly what I'm looking for, I do have a heavy right foot when I fancy it, so having that power under the bonnet is a bonus! Running costs not to much of a concern, I do approx 3-4K a year, lower tax band would be preferred, I don't know what servicing costs are to be expected, and it would be good to hear from any members that live in the London area to get an idea of insurance costs

Our insurance (me and my wife, both 35 years old, living in SW12 London is £500 p.a. We've just had it serviced (intermediate B sefvice) for £500 or so, I think a major is closer to £800 if belts need changed etc. We get 16-18mpg in town and 26-30 on the M Way. Tax was £550 for the year I think. It ain't cheap, but it's a pleasure to drive/be driven in!

Out of interest, what alternatives are you looking at?

Post #508670 Wed Oct 26 2016 4:14pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Bear in mind also that TDv8 and S/C (both 4.2 and 5.0) and the 4.4 V8 all had what was called Dynamic Handling Pack as standard - these are electro hydraulically operated antiroll bars that do an excellent job of holding so much weight flat and reducing roll in spirited driving. The airsuspension isn't adjustable like many of the German cars with air springs - it only adjusts for access/normal and off road heights. Wheel sizes above 20" and skinny cross section tyres can really have a horrible effect on the ride too so stay with the standard biggest 20" wheels and tyres for L320 RRS (2005-2012) cars. L494 which is the current version has been designed from the start to take up to 22" wheels/tyres and rides amazingly on them.
BTW you might get a high miles 2011 5.0 V8 S/C almost down at your price range but it would have to have a huge load of miles on it. TDv8's though are almost as fast, a whole lots less profligate on fuel and just as much fun. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #508683 Wed Oct 26 2016 7:36pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
m8ch1n

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Alaska White

Ice Cube wrote:
Thanks Chaps

You'll be looking more 20K mark for a decent low mileage 2010 facelift model.............well worth the extra money though Surprised The interior is much nicer and looks smoother on the exterior. Plus you can get the 3.0 V6 in this model???

Post #508719 Thu Oct 27 2016 1:29am
Ice Cube

United Kingdom 

Apologies gentlemen for delay in replying

Dpg123
Very useful information it's appreciated, strangely your insurance is less than my S Type, I have 8 years NCB, clean license, and I'm a lot older, it's got to be a postcode thing, mind you my car is parked on the road/ away from where I live, which won't help
In brief, I'm not looking at anything else, However I don't know if the Vogue provides anything different?, Before I got the Jag I was looking at all sorts (saloons and 4x4's) I did a bit of research on the RRS & the BMW X5 they are very popular with the thieves Big Cry Big Cry does your insurance require a tracker? I've read some companies want it.

Tim in Scotland
Thanks for the info on tyres, ride quality is very important to me, so I was wondering about tyre / rim size, what size rubber should I be looking for in an ideal world? And is there a particular manufacturer to favour?

M8ch1n
I could nudge the top end of the budget, but SWMBO Bow down would go into meltdown

Andrewuk1986
Hadn't considered it as a weekend toy! Which I suppose it would be Thumbs Up it would tick so many boxes for me clearly a much bigger interior, better ride height, boot space enormous compared to the Jag

Post #508738 Thu Oct 27 2016 8:40am
Russben

Mine is on 275/45x20 Goodyear Eagle's. Standard size is 275/40x20. I had these fitted in order to soften the ride slightly but it is still on the firm side. Then again it does weigh over 2.5 tons and you wouldn't want anything too soft, otherwise it would wallow all over the place. I find the ride comfortable enough. I'm in the shed, I'll be back in the real world in a minute.

Post #508761 Thu Oct 27 2016 12:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>