RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Rear courtesy lights
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

ASH555

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver
Rear courtesy lights

Am i missing something or can you only turn on the overhead rear courtesy lights on manually. This is extremely annoying when carrying rear passengers at night. Has anybody else found this a problem

Post #70247 Mon Dec 11 2006 9:02pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Ditto 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #70248 Mon Dec 11 2006 9:03pm
ASH555

I have been to 2 dealerships both unaware of this fault. Has anyone sort LR opinion on why this has not been sorted (my RRS 2 months old) I cannot think of a vehicle i have owned were this happens

Post #70250 Mon Dec 11 2006 9:15pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Ash I have had mine 15 months & things never cease to amase me with LR 

Post #70255 Mon Dec 11 2006 9:31pm
ASH555

Has anyone else approached LR about this?

Post #70295 Mon Dec 11 2006 10:52pm
umbertob

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Chawton White

Calling them "courtesy" is a stretch... I mentioned the issue back when I bought my Sport over a year ago, according to the salesperson the feature is one of those "small things" that the Sport doesn't have compared to the FFRR, as buyers of the big Range are more finicky and look at those details... It sounds to me as if they left some basic features out of the Sport on purpose, so as not to cannibalize sales of the big Range too much! Sad

Anyway, it is an inexcusable design flaw, I don't know or care what LR was thinking. They stay off when you open any door, so (especially if you have black seats) it is virtually impossible to see anything back there when it's dark outside. The itsy bitsy, teeny weeny 2-watts Christmas light in the boot/trunk is no help. They can't even be operated manually with a switch near the front seat either, so I basically cannot see what my 2-year old daughter is up to on her back seat when I am driving at night, which is annoying at best, dangerous at worst. Sooner or later someone will sue, then they will turn those jokes into real "courtesy" lights. Meanwhile, if someone comes up with a homemade solution (which would likely involve a rewiring job), I am all ears.

On a more trivial note regarding the same lights, have you noticed they used the same light fixtures and switches on both sides of the car, just reversed? So you have to flip the switch in the opposite direction depending on which side of the back seat you are occupying... That's cheap! 

Post #70590 Thu Dec 14 2006 4:39am
MDP

United Kingdom 

umbertob wrote:
LR.... RRS... That's cheap!

Compared to the build quality of Audi Q7's I couldn't agree more Confused 

Post #70616 Thu Dec 14 2006 10:45am
The doc

United Kingdom 

MDP wrote:
umbertob wrote:
LR.... RRS... That's cheap!

Compared to the build quality of Audi Q7's I couldn't agree more Confused

Do you find the Q7's build really good or really bad?

Post #71252 Sun Dec 17 2006 8:04pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

The Audi Q7 is built like all other Audis - Excellent fit/finish and superb choice of materials used. 

Post #71298 Mon Dec 18 2006 1:54am
mnederlof

United States 
Possible fix for rear "courtesy" lights?

OK, I too am p*ssed about the rear reading/courtesy lights. It would seem as though it is possible to fix. The front lights have a switched wire that lights them when the doors are opened. Wouldn't it be possible to run a wire from the front lights to the rear lights and hack them so that they light when the front courtesy lights come on?

There is usually a gap between the headliner and the roof (there is one on my FFRR...I needed it to wire my radar detector to switched power), so running wires should be possible.

Sitting here at my desk, I don't recall whether thee courtesy lights come on gently or instantly (in the FFRR they brighten up as opposed to click on)...but if we intercept the wire near the bulb, that wouldn't be an issue. I doubt it'd blow a fuse.

I guess there is a risk that a rear passenger turning on the switch would cause the *front* light to come on....also, I guess the rears would come on when you turn on the front reading light?--I have to look at this/think about it some more.

I don't suppose anyone has tried this yet? I have a good (special) relationship with my dealer--I'm going to ask them about it too.

M[/quote] 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #71610 Tue Dec 19 2006 8:20pm
ASH555

let us know the outcome

Post #71725 Wed Dec 20 2006 5:52pm
simonsi

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
Re: Possible fix for rear "courtesy" lights?

mnederlof wrote:
I guess there is a risk that a rear passenger turning on the switch would cause the *front* light to come on....also, I guess the rears would come on when you turn on the front reading light?--I have to look at this/think about it some more.

I'm thinking about this too - maybe wiring them to the bootspace light would avoid the front courtesy lights coming on when the rears are switched on??? Obviously if the boot light comes on when the rears are switched on that wouldn't be an issue (certainly not if the boot blind is shut), I guess that some diodes will be necessary in any case otherwise both rears would come on when either is switched on (may or may not be an issue). Certainly it >looks< fixable by piggy-backing off another courtesy light..... Cheers

Simon

2007 2.7HSE 20" Wheels
2005 TDV6 D3 S Auto - Zambezi Silver - JE Tune - RRS 19" - Sidesteps - Roof Rails
Body Side Strips - Xenons - Bright Pack - Cold Pack - Premium Stereo
Alpine Roof - Towpack - Alpine Touchscreen Satnav - Veba Rear DVD changer
Alpine Roof Monitor - Webasto FBH Timer - Brembo Frt & S/C Rr Brakes

Post #71729 Wed Dec 20 2006 6:09pm
mnederlof

United States 
Tapping the bootspace lights

Quote:
I'm thinking about this too - maybe wiring them to the bootspace light would avoid the front courtesy lights coming on when the rears are switched on??? Obviously if the boot light comes on when the rears are switched on that wouldn't be an issue (certainly not if the boot blind is shut), I guess that some diodes will be necessary in any case otherwise both rears would come on when either is switched on (may or may not be an issue). Certainly it >looks< fixable by piggy-backing off another courtesy light.....

That's a much better idea---it might be easier to run the wires too. I'm going to poke around behind the covers this weekend. I'll report back. 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #71739 Wed Dec 20 2006 8:20pm
jimrrsport

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

It's always confused me why they're not linked, at first I thought it was a fault. I seem to remember they were even linked on a vivaro van I once had! bad move lr, once again 2007 TDV6HSE, Java black, 20" 10 spokes, super charger grill and vents, Sunroof, tv, fridge, brembo's plus all the other 2007 bits, Limo Priv glass, turbchipped

04 XC90 Gone
04 CBR1000RRFireblade Trashed
04 Freelander Sport Premium Gone
03 Freelander 1.8 Kalahari Gone-should have been blown up!!
02 Lexus IS200 Gone

Post #72306 Sun Dec 24 2006 7:17pm
mnederlof

United States 
linking courtesy lights

I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to you all...my RRS has been in service since last Wednesday due to the famous suspension fault (height sensors on order...sigh)....so needless to say, no results yet. I'll get back to you when I get my baby back. 2006 RRS SC
2006 RR HSE

Post #72372 Tue Dec 26 2006 6:45pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>