RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > TO ALL RRSTDV6 OWNERS: IS IT POWERFUL ENOUGH FOR OVERTAKES?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Vicente

Spain 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Arctic Frost
TO ALL RRSTDV6 OWNERS: IS IT POWERFUL ENOUGH FOR OVERTAKES?

I just bought a 2007 RRS Tdv6 HSE. I´ll have in 2 weeks. It was a compulsory buy since I saw it in an auto fair. I didn't know about the new Tdv8 (i didn't even now about the RRS really, my father always used to drive RR and I've always loved the car). I am sure the Tdv8 will be a better car, although I can't believe it will have the same consumption figures as the specifications suggest. If I had gone for the tdv8 i would have choosen the SE version since the price is almost the same as the Tdv6 HSE and I think I can live without the extras. The tdv6 resale prices may also suffer a lot since the tdv8 hits the roads. I don't drive too fast, maximum cruise of 140/150km/h (here in Spain, legislation is now very hard on speeding), but I like to have enough power for overtakes when needed. I keep reading everywhere that the RRS is too heavy for the tdv6 engine. Is it really so? I understand critics push the cars when tested to limits that maybe are not realistic in everyday use. Is it really that lazy? Does it have enough torque for critic overtakes? I am afraid I may regret the buy and not waiting 3 months for that tdv8 SE.
Regards,
Vicente

Post #70101 Mon Dec 11 2006 12:58pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

The TDV6 is a little under powered but a simple solution is to get the engine chipped - by all accounts the chipping makes a huge difference. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #70112 Mon Dec 11 2006 1:53pm
Supertrotter

United Kingdom 

In general day to day use, the TDV6 is fine.

I have had no real issues overtaking dawdling tourists over here.

VA is correct though, chipping is a relatively cheap way to BIG power gains.

PM Josh - he's a big advocate of chipping. Realistic improvements from 190bhp to 230-235bhp seem to be the norm with increases in torque too.

This (Allegedly) reduces 0-60mph time from c. 11 secs to c. 8.5 secs. Mid range acceleration increases are noticable too.

This will mean you can have a HSE, but with (Most) of the TDV8 performance.

Only real difference then is the noise of a V8 vs a V6 Runner up - 2009 Best Avatar Award Sad
Joint runner up - 2009 Outstanding Contribution Award Sad
WINNER - 2008 ‘Best Thread’ Award – Beautiful Women Of The World Very Happy
Runner Up - 2008 Comedian Of The Year Award Sad
Runner Up - 2008’s Funniest Incident Sad

06 RRS TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony, PTI, Running Boards, Privacy, S/C Grille/Vents, Stormers, Tasmods - GONE - Surprised(

Post #70115 Mon Dec 11 2006 1:59pm
hartleyhair

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

The TDV8 is noticably faster at pulling away and when overtaking on the faster German motorways I've noticed and appreciated the extra power. It may be considered excessively powerful by those with points on their licence.

Whilst I was fairly happy with the V6 engine on my old car, I think the V8 is the engine that the car needed in the first place.

I've only done 1500km or so of mainly motorway driving but the fuel consumption is about the same at 25.5 mpg (haven't looked at the metric equiv). The auto gear shift can seem a bit vague at high speeds 120kmh+ but it will kick down if you give the pedal a good push.

There is a slightly nicer engine tone but not enough to sway a buying decision - this is no TVR soundalike!

I was away this weekend and don't drive to work either so it will probably be a while until I can write anything more meaningful. In short however, the first impressions of this engine are very, very good. Driving - TDV8 HSE in Stornaway / Ebony / Brunel
Sold - 56 TDV8 HSE in Java Black EBONY/RHODIUM/PRIVACY GLASS
Sold - 05 TDV6 HSE BONATTI/BLACK/RHODIUM 20''STORMERS, PTI AND FACTORY TINT.

Post #70125 Mon Dec 11 2006 2:24pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Vicente

Very Annoyed wrote:
The TDV6 is a little under powered but a simple solution is to get the engine chipped - by all accounts the chipping makes a huge difference.

I've never heard about "chipping". How does it work? I'll lookout and see if this can be done in Spain. Does this affect fuel consumption? Does it alter the manufacturer's guarantee or maintenance?
Vicente

Post #70164 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:16pm
shmoogle

Location: ... and for every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!

United Kingdom 

Depending on what product you choose, the method changes. Sometimes it's plugin devices, sometimes it's actually a "flash" upgrade to the engine management system. 

2009 Outstanding Contribution Award - Joint Runner Up
2009 'Tech-Head Of The Year' Award - Runner Up

Like it here? Then Donate to RRSPORT!!

Post #70186 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:50pm
Vicente

shmoogle wrote:
Depending on what product you choose, the method changes. Sometimes it's plugin devices, sometimes it's actually a "flash" upgrade to the engine management system.

I already contacted TURBOCHIP Denmark since there are no dealers in Spain. They tell me I can send the ECU, I am considering it. Is any chipping brand or system better fot the Tdv6 or are they all the same?

Post #70189 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:55pm
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I'm surprised Turbochip DK do not handle it as an exchange unit. You buy their ECU which they have programmed for your car based on data you can generally find on your own ECU. Then after you have successfully installed the new ECU, you send them yours and they credit you for it. This keeps you from having your car off the road the whole time the ECU is out of it. Not to mention, it being lost during shipping Shocked

I have found that Rica tuning also provide an ECU upgrade for the TDV6 but have no dealer in Spain.

BSR in Sweden have a reversible upgrade which you upload via the OBDII connector (you can even download updates from the internet!) but they don't have an upgrade for the TDV6 Crying or Very sad 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #70191 Mon Dec 11 2006 5:03pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

JE Engineering and Turbochip are 2 companies that sponsor this site - both products are excellent I have been told. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #70192 Mon Dec 11 2006 5:03pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

I had my tdv6 chipped a while ago and i can honestly say that it does make a big difference, the car feels much sharper and trust me when i floor it from a standing start it goes like hell and through the gears very quickly,people who have been in my car cant belive it is a diesel.it was the best £400 i have spent in a long time. Its only a shame that it doesnt rev more in the gears, but you cant have everything. some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #70227 Mon Dec 11 2006 7:56pm
Josh

United Kingdom 

It's a hell of a car with the engine modified by JE. Highly recommended Very Happy Boy can it overtake Twisted Evil
I'm sure the TDV8 will be even better, but it won't be significantly quicker in unmodified form than my TDV6. Also doubtful whether it will be as economical Laughing
So therefore the extra cost isn't justified. IMHO TDV6 - gone
TDV8 - gone
Audi Q5 3.0 Tdi Sline wef 6/11/10

Post #70342 Tue Dec 12 2006 12:32pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1