RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Detailing & Car Cleaning > Help & Advice please - BLACK RASH on wheels ....!!
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

rickshaw

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black
Help & Advice please - BLACK RASH on wheels ....!!

Having been shamed into giving my Sport a thorough clean by photos of members' gleaming cars on this forum I decided to tackle the wheels first.

On face value, having sprayed on copious amounts of Valet Pro Bilberry cleaner they seemed to look pretty good again BUT then I put my glasses on.....

The wheels (all four) seem to have developed a black rash - small specks on the outer rim with more extensive larger spots on the inner rim.

At first I thought it was tar spray/spots but application of Tar Remover didn't touch it. I then read on a detailing web site that it may be embedded brake dust/iron particles so tried some Wolf De-ioniser.

Having waited the suggested 5 - 10 minutes I was expecting (hoping) the liquid to turn purple as indicated and the spots to miraculously disappear but nothing happened - the rash is still there and even agitation did nothing to shift it.

Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.

I should add that the car is just over 3 years old and has not been totally neglected. I have been known to clean the wheels a few times a year (albeit without my glasses on...so not certain how long the rash has been present) and have even applied Poor Boys wheel sealer on one or two occasions!!

Post #506688 Thu Sep 29 2016 3:23pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Any chance of posting some pictures?

Post #506689 Thu Sep 29 2016 3:26pm
rickshaw

Hi Danv8

Thanks for quick response. I'll try and take some photos tomorrow - not sure how well the 'rash' will show up but I'll give it a go!

Post #506691 Thu Sep 29 2016 3:35pm
rickshaw

Photos now included. The 'rash' doesn't show up too well but may give a better idea.

[/img]

Post #506787 Fri Sep 30 2016 2:42pm
junior

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Looks like tar spots to me. Some of the so called tar removers on the market are useless, so don't let lack of success so far put you off. The only product that's ever worked for me is Wonder Wheels. If you use this stuff, just make sure you don't splash it on yourself or on any part of the car not being treated and hose the whole area down after use. Its also worthwhile applying some alloy protector to the wheel afterwards as this gives some protection to further tar attack.

Post #506800 Fri Sep 30 2016 6:36pm
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Looks like they are pitted from brake dust burning

Try something like Iron X Paste as it dwells longer and might get luckily that some is just burnt on iron/brake dust

Post #506804 Fri Sep 30 2016 7:23pm
junior

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

^^Ah, didn't know about that, explains why the tar remover doesn't work Embarassed . The Wonder Wheels does though, easy to apply but just be careful with it.

Post #506807 Fri Sep 30 2016 8:35pm
Danv8

Hmm, you say tar removers havnt removed anything and a VP bilberry wheel cleaner hasn't touched anything. What does the wheel feel like to touch? does it feel as if its contamination stuck into the paint? Rough texture etc This is some strong stuff, just check out some you tube vids of it in action
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Dr-Wack-1250-Powe...B002960U76

I will say that I had a wheel like that on my old Audi, I rubbed and scrubbed at it, it turned out to be the actual paint coming off and it was the corroded metal darkening with the brake dust, in that case the only option was a complete refurb.

Post #506808 Fri Sep 30 2016 8:46pm
rickshaw

Thanks for the comments and advice.

The surface does feel slightly rough ie as if the 'particles' are sat on the surface of the wheel.

To be honest I would be VERY surprised if it was actual corrosion due to the age and use of the vehicle and also because the spots are present on all four wheels on inner and outer rims, and I have used wheel sealer/protector in the past - honest!

I did try spraying a little WD-40 (a tip from another web site) on a small section and with a bit of elbow grease it did seem to remove at least some of the spots.

So I think I will try an alternative iron particle/brake dust remover and/or tar remover as suggested.

Wonder Wheels may be worth try if all else fails but I am slightly concerned about its acidic properties....

Post #506823 Sat Oct 01 2016 7:19am
npinks
Site Moderator

United Kingdom 

Just don't rub them and rub them, wheels are still possible to have marred lacquer which is a Censored to polish

Post #506826 Sat Oct 01 2016 7:30am
rickshaw

Thanks npinks.

I will follow your advice very carefully!!

Post #506829 Sat Oct 01 2016 8:15am
Danv8

Using wonder wheels is fine if the wheels are heavily soiled and not damaged. Defo wouldn't recommend using it for every wash, and keep it away from scuffs or bare exposed metal. Always good as a store room go to in case of an emergency.

Post #506837 Sat Oct 01 2016 9:28am
rickshaw

Danv8 - thanks for the tip about avoiding scuffs etc with Wonder Wheels !!

Post #506883 Sat Oct 01 2016 7:34pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Are you only owner of the car from new? It could be any previous owner was not so careful with alloy wheel maintenance and only took the car to the local jet wash....... Or worse to the instant scratch rotating brush washers which is hopeless for cleaning wheels.
I have had similar (and I have always owned from new) when I have left the car unused for 3-4 month while at work abroad and haven't washed the car very thoroughly before leaving it. It looks like the same problem as I had with brake dust getting embedded in the gloss coating/ clear coat sealer on the alloy. It didn't bother me as I'm not a detailing freak (I also like to use my Land Rovers how LR intended them so mud and sand also damages the alloys). I have a Defender that has a set of 20 year old alloys that also had the same problem and the best way yo get rid of it was to have the alloys professionally refurbished and new clear coat applied. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #506900 Sun Oct 02 2016 8:55am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
rickshaw

Tim - yes I have owned the car from new. Whilst I am not obsessed with cleaning the car it hasn't been totally neglected! I probably wash it every couple of months and each time the wheels are cleaned with Valet Pro Bilberry stuff. I do think the spots are on the surface so hopefully a more thorough clean will shift them - otherwise I will refrain from wearing my glasses when cleaning so the rash is not so obvious........
Thanks for all your comments. I'll update the thread when I've had another go at cleaning.

Post #506931 Sun Oct 02 2016 7:44pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>