RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > Insurance claim
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

sparky8181

England 
Insurance claim

Not RRS related but a bit of advice please..

Last night on the way home from work a young lad went into the back of me, caused quite a bit of damage to my brand new Ford Ranger pickup and completely ruined his brand new Clio.

I've spoken with his insurance co, and they have assured me they will deal with all repairs and give me a curtesy vehicle whilst its being repaired as the young lad has admitted responsibility.

I've never had an accident claim before, so is this the correct way to do it, or should I be contacting my own insurance and letting them handle it?

Also if I go through my own insurance co, is my insurance likely to go up anyway even though its a "not at fault" claim? This is my first year on a fleet policy after combining all my vehicles, so don't really want to put a claim in if I don't have to.

Thanks
Sparky Thumbs Up

Post #503112 Thu Aug 18 2016 9:11am
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Leave it to his company, if you claim off yours it will put a black mark against you even though you wasn't at fault. It will also increase your premiums even with NCD protected.

The main reasons you would need to contact your own is if the other person denied any fault and it would be down to the insurance to fight it out, or if you were injured and had legal cover they would fight for any damages. Their insurance may contact yours to inform them of the incident but other than that, leave them to it. They may also need to be notified of the incident from yourself but also make it clear the other parties insurance has accepted liability.

Sorry should of worded this better, reading it back

"Also if I go through my own insurance co, is my insurance likely to go up anyway even though its a "not at fault" claim? This is my first year on a fleet policy after combining all my vehicles, so don't really want to put a claim in if I don't have to.
"

I meant do not claim from yours I didn't mean not to inform them

Last edited by Danv8 on Thu Aug 18 2016 9:59am. Edited 2 times in total

Post #503113 Thu Aug 18 2016 9:21am
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Depends how pedantic your insurance company is, it's a material fact that you have been involved in a none fault accident and when you took the policy they will have asked that as a direct question, the terms and conditions will no doubt say you have to update them with any change of circumstances. Make them aware but inform them you do not wish to claim at this time.
Should you have an accident where you need to claim in the future they may use the fact you hadn't notified them about this incident as a reason not to honour your cover.
I reported a similar accident that occurred to me and it didn't affect my premiums but I appreciate it could, however if you don't declare and they later discover the matter they could cancel your policy as a worst case scenario.
You will then have to declare to other insurance company's you have had a policy cancelled as again it's a direct question hey ask, this makes it very difficult to obtain reasonably priced insurance.
If you decide not to mention on this occasion you need to mention it when you renew as they will specifically ask the question again. Nanocom Evo

Post #503115 Thu Aug 18 2016 9:37am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Get it repaired at a place of your choice, rather than the insurer's "approved reparier" (where the onus is on rushing everything through rather than quality) - you are entitled to do so. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #503116 Thu Aug 18 2016 9:55am
PEACHY

England 

The same happened recently to my daughter - I done most of the telephoning - running around etc - I was asked " do i want to report the accident " or " make a claim " the later being put on hold until the other party disputed the claim which never happened. My advice would be to report the incident to your insurance company but be guided by them - again you don't want too claim at this stage.

Hope that helps.

Good luck & take care Thumbs Up 16MY Estoril Blue SVR.............
17MY Autobiography Dynamic - Corris Grey - WOW.
14MY Autobiography Dynamic - SDV6 - Fuji White Smile
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Santorini Black - Dual View - Rear Entertainment - Sunroof.
12MY Autobiography - SDV6 - Orkney Grey - awesome ;(
2005 Java Black - 4.2 V8 Supercharged First Edition- will never be forgotten ;(

Post #503117 Thu Aug 18 2016 10:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
GodivaNige

England 

Completely agree with Lost for Words above, DO NOT let the insurer dictate who repairs the vehicle. The chances are they will use their own high volume repair shop, for example, if it's a RBS company (Direct Line, Churchill etc) they will likely use UK Assistance for the repair (REALLY poor, trust me I know, 3 rejected repairs on the FL I used to own and they still couldn't get it right!).
Companies like this ship the repairs through as fast as possible and the repairs are usually very sub standard. You are entitled by law to decide who repairs your car, the insurance company will probably try and talk you out of doing this (for obvious financial reasons) but don't give in to them. Find a good quality bodyshop who will accept your car and get a quote, forward the quote to the 3rd party and his insurers.

Post #503122 Thu Aug 18 2016 11:05am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The only trouble with demanding your car is repaired where you want it taken, or to a LR dealer say if you haven't paid an extra premium for this, is the fact that if you choose a different garage, they do not have to lend you a courtesy vehicle, read the small print it is always there. If you choose a main dealer for repair, it will cost more and many insurance companies will only pay out a certain amount if you don't use "their" recommended garage.
You also have to inform your Insurance company of any accident even if you don't claim. It will be listed on the Insurance data then when you claim they will refuse paying out due to non disclosure. This DOES happen frequently. No way around it, if an Insurance company is involved it will be there so your company will find out the minute you claim. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #503124 Thu Aug 18 2016 12:03pm
GodivaNige

England 

Agree. the OP should be informing his own insurer of the accident. In a rear end incident, it's always the driver behind that is at fault and the OP's insurer should take this into account

In such accidents where the 3rd party is fully to blame, the OP's insurer should act on his behalf and insist a courtesy vehicle is provided, regardless of not wishing to use the recommended repairer offered by the paying insurer.

The only reason the 3rd party's insurer is being so accommodating is to limit their financial hit as much as possible.

Post #503125 Thu Aug 18 2016 12:38pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Johnski wrote:
The only trouble with demanding your car is repaired where you want it taken, or to a LR dealer say if you haven't paid an extra premium for this, is the fact that if you choose a different garage, they do not have to lend you a courtesy vehicle, read the small print it is always there.

As above, this applies if you are claiming from your own insurer; if the third party is at fault, a hire car can always be claimed. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #503126 Thu Aug 18 2016 1:05pm
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The hire car can be e equivalent to what you are having repaired rather than the 1.2 corsa they will no doubt give you Smile, I had a van that was in for repair and it had a towbar, the hire van they wanted to give me didn't have, they had to bring one from a company in London up to Leeds as I needed a towbar Nanocom Evo

Post #503128 Thu Aug 18 2016 1:21pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Indeed, but just be careful as it has to be settled with the insurers; make sure you give them a sound reason for demanding a like for like vehicle. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #503136 Thu Aug 18 2016 1:57pm
sparky8181

England 

Thanks guys,

Spoken with my insurance co and they have advised that its fine for me to proceed with the other lads insurance for the repairs and like for like car hire.

I will now tell the other insurance co that I want it to go to a garage of my choice for the repair so as long as they agree then it should all be sorted.

Only thing I'm still mad about is I have been warned by Ford that as its a brand new vehicle model there may be a long delay in getting parts so looks like I will be without my truck for a while Big Cry

Post #503140 Thu Aug 18 2016 2:28pm
RangeRaver

England 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Some help/advice.

I want to add my son to my RRS Insurance.

Problem is he has a conviction for graffiti ten years ago when he was stupid.

I'm hitting the buffers when going on go compare and comparethemarket as both ask have any named drivers had a criminal conviction.

Any help would be appreciated. Owned MY12 Sport from new!
Previous: Evoque, Freelander 2, Freelander 1, Mercedes CLK (convertible), Porsche 911 (several). E-type.

Post #506455 Mon Sep 26 2016 4:40pm
HemoRRS

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black

I believe its only "unspent" convictions, so no need to mention, might be worth waiting for someone else to confirm though.

Edit

Quote:
Convictions considered spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 do not need to be disclosed, unless the offence resulted in a prison term of over four years
Read more at http://www.gocompare.com/car-insurance/cov...P9jh5sp.99

That will be spent now too.

Post #506467 Mon Sep 26 2016 7:41pm
RangeRaver

England 2012 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Lux Santorini Black

Apparently not if the question is broad and asks has anyone ever been convicted.... etc.
Anyhow why give them the window of opportunity? Owned MY12 Sport from new!
Previous: Evoque, Freelander 2, Freelander 1, Mercedes CLK (convertible), Porsche 911 (several). E-type.

Post #506546 Tue Sep 27 2016 6:00pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>