RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Off Topic > well, its a goodbye from me too.... soon...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

big pimp

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Santorini Black
well, its a goodbye from me too.... soon...

so after 6 years of Range Rover Sport ownership (2010 HSE for 3 years, and a 2014 model since November '13) i'm hanging up my muddy boots for a while.

was looking at a new 2017 model, but prices (in my opinion) have gotten just silly.

for the same spec as my current HSE Dynamic, I was looking at a further £6k+ just for a model which was going to look essentially the same as my current one. that was pushing it to over £80k

When I took an honest look over my last 6 years of ownership, I haven't used either of my two vehicles to their full capacity. Well, I actually have used my new '14 model a lot more, having taken it properly off roading 2 times....... I know, that sounds silly, but the thought of pranging a £74k motor just to prove how capable it really is isn't that appealing.

I have towed with them both regularly, and they were both fantastic at that.

I have used the low range gearbox twice....

so I have done a lot of test driving over the last few weeks and months, because as I have said, my L494 is the best vehicle I have ever owned. It is amazing at what it does and is capable of and it looks fantastic into the bargain.

I have driven a new Q7 (good engine, but horrible) new X5 (not for me) Discover 4 Landmark edition (loved it, but felt very agricultural compared to either of my sports) new XC90 (fantastic machine let down by a Censored pot 4 cylinder diesel engine) and a Jaaaaaaaggggg F-Pace 3.0 S which was amazing to drive and looked superb....

So I have put a deposit on a new F-Pace 3.0d S - so I'm not leaving JLR as a brand!

its their top of the range model, and I have ticked most of the boxes and its still coming in £20k cheaper than a new sport was going to be.

[url=]

Click image to enlarge
[/url]

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #506296 Sat Sep 24 2016 9:38pm
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Excellent choice Thumbs Up I am considering downsizing too after my current Sport. Well I tried last time as well but Mrs. made it a bit difficult.

As there were no "regular" service department loan cars available, I was given an F Pace 3.0 S sales demo car when my Sport went in for 1st service couple of weeks ago. The other smaller JLR SUVs I have driven (Freelander, Evoque and Discovery Sport) were not at all nice to drive or be in. The F Pace is a fantastic vehicle IMHO. I really like how it looks. The 3.0 suits the car well. It is lively and a lot of fun to drive. The only bad feeling it gave me was when I drove over some road humps the same way I do in my Sport and all of us, including the kids, really felt how bumpy it was and made us appreciate the air suspension in our Sport even more. It shouldn't be compared to RRS anyway as it is in a different price bracket and one has to compromise somewhere. Slight driving style adjustment may be. Oh and Jag mood lighting puts RRS "mood lighting" (which I call a scam) to shame.

I haven't looked at prices & options yet because I am not going to change in the near future but will seriously consider an F Pace whenever the time comes. All depends on what else is out there at that time. Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #506306 Sat Sep 24 2016 10:42pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Gentlemen,

You are not alone! I too have been making some casual plans about my next vehicular purchase. I would love it to be another RRS, but feel the cost of a new one is not justified.

I too have test driven the new F-Pace and found it to be a highly enjoyable drive. It will most probably be my next car. However, as an ex-Porsche Cayenne owner, may be tempted back to the Porsche stable by the Macan, a contemporary of the F-Pace. The only thing that sways me towards the F-Pace is the availability of support should anything go wrong, which is a possibility regardless of manufacturer. It was the one of the reasons I sold the Cayenne as it was a logistical nightmare to get technical assistance with Porsche. Fortunately, I have nothing but exemplary service from my LR dealer, who also happens to be the local Jaguar dealer as well.

At least I have at least another 12 months to go before the change becomes seriously considered.

Good choice big pimp, enjoy your new motor when it arrives.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #506308 Sun Sep 25 2016 12:26am
Paulcp

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Atacama Sand

I am also leaving RRS ownership on Tuesday for very similar reasons, I could not justify in my head paying the difference between my 2013 Black Edn and a new RRS.

The 3.0 F Pace is a wonderful car but I also decided that, if I was downsizing, I didn't want to pay the price that was coming out at with the requisite options. So I decided the 4 pot F Pace would be the way to go .................. until I drove it Wink I was left very unimpressed with the "gruffness" of the engine which wasn't anywhere near as smooth as the same engine in the DS.

I also considered the Lexus RX, very nice inside but decided I couldn't live with that awful CVT gearbox so in the end I decided to opt for a high spec DS. Still not 100% sure it's the right decision but as the wife will use this one more than me I'll live with it for a while.

Post #506316 Sun Sep 25 2016 9:11am
big pimp

jeepers - i thought i was going to be lynched!!!!

@fkarim - like I mentioned in my original post, I have test driven quite a few vehicles, and the F-Pace felt just right.

It was more lively than my L494, and more 'road focussed' if you understand me.

I know exactly what you mean when you talk about the suspension though - I run 22" wheels on my Sport, and its really comfortable compared to the harder sprung F-Pace which was also running 22" wheels.

something I'm going to have to get used to again!!!

@JOCK55 - really interesting that there are several of us on here (and on the F-Pace forum there are a few ex RRS owners) are leaving the brand, and it's down to pricing.

My 2010 Sport HSE which was pretty much fully specced was £55k
My 2014 Sport HSE Dynamic which is again, pretty well specced was £74k
A 2017 Sport was going to be costing me £82k (and it didn't have all the spec I would ideally like) with an Autobiography costing £90k

It's a pricing plan which is causing them to lose customers. Having said that the upcoming 2.0 diesel engine with no low-range etc (and even talk of a steel sprung model) will make it more affordable, however, these changes take away from what a RRS is for me.

The macan was one I looked at also - although I didn't drive one after taking a 48hour test drive in the F-Pace I knew then that was the new vehicle for me.

@PaulCP - the DS is a lovely motor, and when specced up they look really really smart.

I would have loved to have waited to see what the new Disco5 brings to the table, but I also tow and the F-Pace is capable too in that aspect.
The Lexus is lovely looking - my mrs really likes the look of them, but I'm still not convinced with hybrids. The XC90 T8 hybrid I drove returned a mere 31mpg combined over the 2 days I took it too.

Had there have been a larger diesel option the XC90 would have been my choice, but as I said, the 2.0 4cyl just didn't cut it for me. MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #506318 Sun Sep 25 2016 9:35am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

2009 - paid £19k for a brand new FL2 GS
2010 - paid £46k for an ex LR fleet RRS HSE
2013 - paid £54k for new HSE Black Edition

When I priced RRS2 with the Black Edition spec and considered the Censored I put up with during ownership I decided it was time for a change - I expect a jump in quality and service to coincide with prices rocketing but it's been the opposite Rolling Eyes

As someone who took the plunge I'm happy I did Cool Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #506319 Sun Sep 25 2016 10:02am
malcolmw

United Kingdom 

@big pimp

I have just changed from RRS to the new Lexus RX for exactly the reasons which you give in your original post. The cost to change is just unacceptable now.

I will do a review of the RX in a few weeks after I have put a few miles on it and post in the "other makes" section along with the PHEV stuff. It looks very good so far (500 miles). Regards

Malcolm

Post #506491 Tue Sep 27 2016 7:51am
big pimp

Thats great to hear @malcom

The RX was also a contender for me, but after driving the F Pace, I knew I had my mind made up.

Really interested in reading your thoughts on the RX though as my wife loves them MY10 HSE 3.0 TDV6 : Santorini Black : Ebony Interior w/Anigre wood : Privacy Glass (total) : Sunroof : Sidesteps : Hybrid TV : Detachable Tow Kit : Spare Wheel Cover : 22" Dished Supersports

Post #506554 Tue Sep 27 2016 9:43pm
harrygh60

England 2010 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Fuji White

muddywheels wrote:
2009 - paid £19k for a brand new FL2 GS
2010 - paid £46k for an ex LR fleet RRS HSE
2013 - paid £54k for new HSE Black Edition

When I priced RRS2 with the Black Edition spec and considered the Censored I put up with during ownership I decided it was time for a change - I expect a jump in quality and service to coincide with prices rocketing but it's been the opposite Rolling Eyes

As someone who took the plunge I'm happy I did Cool

Hi,Muddy are you sure it was only £19k for your 2009 FL2 I paid discounted price of £29K for my new 2007 HSE Auto December 2007. I am also thinking of having a PHEV. Only thing about them is passenger seat has not got height adjustment. My missus likes to sit high up itisme

Post #506590 Wed Sep 28 2016 11:49am
muddywheels
Milk Float Man

England 

This was an advert at the time I bought mine - I managed to get local dealer to beat it Mr. Green

Phev prices are set to increase by £1500 in October apparently on MY17 but the £8400 discount I got ends this week so I'm glad I bought when I did even if I don't have EPB, upgraded touchscreen and EV switch to override ICE Wink

You may get height adjustment on MY17 passenger seat but unsure Confused

MY16 has height adjustable seat belts though unlike the DS Rolling Eyes Wanted a Series 2 LR since childhood but previously owned MY16 Disco Sport HSE TD4 Auto, MY13 RR Sport Black Edition TDV6 Auto, MY10 RR Sport HSE TDV6 Auto, 2007 Freelander 1 Freestyle TD4 Soft Top, 2009 Freelander 2 GS TD4 Auto, 2007 Freelander 2 GS TD4, 2004 Disco 2 Metropolis Auto, 2002 Disco 2 GS, 2000 Freelander 1 SE TD4 SW

Still hoping for a S2 one day!

Post #506607 Wed Sep 28 2016 2:10pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1