RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 15 123 ... 131415>

The doc

United Kingdom 
SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...

Last Saturday night I was driving up a mountain on normal, wet and windy roads when my air suspension fault light lit up along with a 30 mph max speed warning.

I slowed down and pulled over , then stopped and started the vehicle a number of times and eventually the light went out.

Since this happend my car has developed a "knock" from the front suspension and its driving me nuts - the thing is only 3 weeks old and has covered less than 1000 miles!

I booked my car into LR for the problems to be fixed.

Having just got my (dirty) car back from my local Land Rover garage they have fixed the electronic fault on the suspension but have said that the "knocking" sound from the suspension is a characteristic of the dynamic response system and that there was nothing further that they could do.

The sound coming from my car is reminiscent of a failed shock absorber on mildly bumpy or holed roads.

If Land Rover think that a noise like this is "not a problem" on a 47k car they must think we are mugs!

I have booked it into another Land Rover garage for a second opinion and if the result is the same I shall be rejecting the car as it has only covered 700 miles in the 3 weeks that I have owned it.

When LR buttered me up on a test day at gaydon (great day out BTW) all of the vehicles were equiped with dynamic response ond not one of them made a sound like this!

Am I the only person with this fault?

Post #69667 Fri Dec 08 2006 1:11pm
MAC

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Suspension noise.

I have the same problem as The Doc. My vehicle has been at the dealers 3 times so far to try to solve the noise from the suspension. Last night I collected my car from the dealer after them having it for 3 days. On collection I was told it is a characteristic of all RRS vehicles fitted with Dynamic Response and was shown a document from LR to that effect.

As far as they are concerned there is nothing further they are prepared to do - although they have not heard the noise on any other vehicle despite claiming to be the largest LR dealer in the area.

I consequently now have to assure the banging noise under my car is not dangerous!!!!!!

I find this situation frankly disgusting for a vehicle of such a value.

I suggest that all owners in this situation contact LR and also the motoring press to see if we can push for some resolution to the problem.

This problem only relates to vehicles fitted with dynamic response as far as I am aware.[/b]

Post #69678 Fri Dec 08 2006 1:35pm
Brocklebank

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I also have the same problem, and my car has been back to the dealer numerous times.

Latest 'cure' was to update the software for the suspension, but no difference.

I am told LR are aware of the 'problem' but do not accept its a fault.

I cannot always repeat the fault, varies according to how the car feels on the day.

Good news is that if this dynamic suspension is now going to be 'standard' on all the TDv8 cars, there will be huge numbers of cars back at the dealers, and maybe LR fill be forced to admit the fault. If it is not a problem on the new cars then it is not a charactristic of this type of suspension so WE have a fault!

Post #69685 Fri Dec 08 2006 2:06pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

If it cant be fixed it will be rejected.

Post #69833 Sat Dec 09 2006 1:05am
NY S/C

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Zermatt Silver
Re: SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER...

The doc wrote:

Since this happend my car has developed a "knock" from the front suspension and its driving me nuts - the thing is only 3 weeks old and has covered less than 1000 miles!
The sound coming from my car is reminiscent of a failed shock absorber on mildly bumpy or holed roads.
When LR buttered me up on a test day at gaydon (great day out BTW) all of the vehicles were equiped with dynamic response ond not one of them made a sound like this!

Am I the only person with this fault?

I noticed the same thing on my second day of ownership. I brought it back to my dealer with 200 miles and they looked the car over and gave a me copy of a service bulletin that didn't apply to my VIN. I was told that this noise is normal from the dynamic response system. The s/c I test drove didn't make this noise. If it did, I would've never bought this vehicle. You described the sound perfectly...it does sound like a bad shock absorber or bushing. I'm bringing it back in again Monday. If they tell me to live with it, I'm dumping it. No way can I drive a car that sounds like its got bad shocks nYc

2006 Range Rover Sport S/C
Zermatt Silver Metallic w/Ebony interior

Post #69852 Sat Dec 09 2006 6:35am
Smarticus

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I don't think this issue is limited to vehicles with Dynamic Response. My TDv6 HSE hasn't got Dynamic, but it does have the knocking front end. That issue has been there almost from new. It was temporarily fixed when the dealer replaced a "faulty bush" but returned about a month later. I have almost got used to the noise / feel of the knocking (it feels just like a worn ball joint, out of tolerance suspension or steering link somewhere or damaged bush) and just try to ignore it now. A friend borrowed my vehicle for a test drive the other day and I had said nothing to him about the issue. He noticed it straight away and said "that cannot possibly be right". It seems like it is only Landrover who feels this knocking is "ok". I think "OK" in this context means that LR recognise the issue, have assessed it as not compromising saftey, but have no idea how to fix it.

FWIW, my guess is that the RRS front end suspension and steering has a very complex geometry, and within that set up there are various linkages, adjacent componets and bushes. A tiny amount of out of tolerance or wear anywhere in that whole system could easily manifest itself as a knock (noise and very very slight physical feel) which is almost impossible to trace back to source. Different speeds, road conditions, gradients, temperatures and loadings can all enhance or surpress the knocking. As usual, the precise conditions that minimise the knocking sound are those to be found within a 5 mile radius of any Land Rover Dealership (don't ask me how that happens - its just a fact of life Confused ) whereas the worst possible conditions are found in precisely the area in which you are showing off your marvellous new(ish) car to a friend, colleague or potential buyer. Rolling Eyes RRS TDv8 HSE Rimini
Disco 4 TDv6 HSE Ipanema
Defender 90, 200tdi CSW

Post #69854 Sat Dec 09 2006 8:37am
MAC

As far as I am aware all MY07 RRS's are fitted with Dynamic Response so we should see a significant number of complaints if this is an inherent "design feature."

I will be trying another vehicle of the same spec on Monday week to make a comparison with mine.

I have raised the issue with LR customer service who have promised to respond early next week. Will keep you informed.

Post #69855 Sat Dec 09 2006 9:31am
Kaine

United Kingdom 

FYI, my 07MY HSE does not make any knocking noise

Post #69858 Sat Dec 09 2006 10:07am
MAC

Kaine - Interesting, what type of roads do you drive on?

Post #69867 Sat Dec 09 2006 11:14am
The doc

United Kingdom 

Neither did mine untill the thing lowered itself for no reason whatsoever! Evil or Very Mad

Its not the sort of noise that you expect a new premuim brand car to make!

Post #69869 Sat Dec 09 2006 11:27am
The doc

United Kingdom 

I have booked my car into Hillendale landrover Nelson Colne (as per AUTOLINES POST) in the hope that Bill their head techy can help!

Post #69951 Sun Dec 10 2006 3:46pm
ENVOY

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Arctic Frost

Mine got the dynamic response system and guess what,

yep you guessed it it to has a slight knock from the front suspension Crying or Very sad

On a recent visit to L/R Stafford for some other warranty issues they agreed that it had a knock, on collection they said that they had checked all the front suspensoion linkages and tightened them all up. It was as quite as a mouse for about 50 miles but then it returned.

I have noticed that it only seeem to be apparent in dry conditions and when its raining or with water on the road it is silent. Has anyone else noticed this or am i imagining it.

When Landlord collected his from new i noticed his was knocking and with only a few miles on the clock.

NOT GOOD for a luxury motor. Its more like an old FORD. Big Cry Big Cry some of my Previous cars
--------------------------------
P38 Range Rover Autobiography
RRS 2.7 HSE Silver
RRS TDV8 HSE silver
FFRR Vogue black
Disco3 HSE silver
RRS 2.7 HSE silver
RRS 3.0 HSE BALTI BLUE
AC Cobra
Landrover Defender 90
Landrover Defender 110
Suzuki Jimney

Post #69966 Sun Dec 10 2006 6:11pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

UPDATE:

I took the my bus to Hillendale land rover Nelson Colne today and they confirmed that the noise was NOT A NORMAL SOUND - There is supposed slight clunk when the steering wheel is moved side to side when DYNANIC RESPONSE is fitted but the noise I have is apparently not the norm!

I have booked it in for next Monday for two days for them to try and find the noise!

As per AUTOLINE's posting my name was on the welcome board (nice touch) and the staff were polite and had an excellent attitude and did not look at all surprised that I was not happy with my knocking sound - nice!

I will update you all next week so fingers crossed all will be well - I love my car and don’t want to change it but I can't live with that noise!

PS Mine always knocks be it cold, hot, wet, dry, up hill, down dale...

Post #70130 Mon Dec 11 2006 2:45pm
MAC

UPDATE

Just had a call from LR customer service. Apparently the suspension noise is perfectly normal and they are not prepared to take it any further. Surprise, surprise.

Obviously they have not heard the level of noise and are not interested in doing so. My dealer was not aware of the problem until I complained and he reviewed the technical bulletins. He has not compared it with another vehicle so can not comment if mine is abnormal or not.

I cannot believe other owners experiencing the level of noise mine exhibits would not complain hence I assume mine is abnormal.

What do I do? Neither LR or the dealer is interested now they have my money.

I suppose I will have to place a notice in the vehicle telling passengers that the noise is not the vehicle falling apart it normal Land Rover quality.

Post #70148 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:01pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

More dealer/LR bad news Mad 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #70154 Mon Dec 11 2006 4:04pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 15 123 ... 131415>