RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Interesting one this concerning EGR valves, advice please
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

savi18

New Zealand 
Interesting one this concerning EGR valves, advice please

Towing with caravan last weekend with sport(2.7v6) car lost power 5 times within 50 miles with the engine system fault displayed each time , no fancy lights at all, switch off and all sweet again again each time, next day drove home around 100 miles with no problems this time, took the car into the Stealers had the car for two days and came back with this, Sir after extensive testing our technicians have found the fault to be both the EGR valves the car has done high mileage(152,000 miles) and worn out, one stuck open and one stuck closed causing the engine system fault, the cost would be approx 500 pounds N/S one and 515 pounds O/S one we can get the parts overnight Sir and fit them tomorrow, now its gets better, i said hold on you fitted both EGR valve 7 months ago and vehicle only done 8,000 miles since fitment, the phone went quite for a few seconds and when he checked on his computer he said you are right, obviously not checked the service records before he rang me, then mentioned he will have to speak to service manager and warranty lady who are not here at the moment, how can both EGR valves fail within a short period, does this sound like they are committed to replaced them under warranty, back of my mind tells me these are ok and will be rejected by Land Rover as no fault found, will be interesting now as they say its the EGR valves and they cannot change there minds and say its something else, what do you thing guys Sad Sad

Post #505248 Tue Sep 13 2016 9:56am
Socast

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Land Rover offer a 12 month warranty on parts, however they may claim that the EGR valves failure has been caused by somthing else i.e. not covered by warranty.

Post #505255 Tue Sep 13 2016 10:15am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Firstly, those prices are ludicrous! A pair of valves can be had over here for no more than about £350.

I strongly suggest you blank them - if your RRS is pre-07MY (I'm guessing it probably is since no warning light), it's cheap and simple with no software patch needed. If not, it can still be done with a software patch. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #505266 Tue Sep 13 2016 11:52am
savi18

New Zealand 

Yep the price is very stupid but thats is NZ for you, sport.is 09my and no one does the programming I think in the South Island of NZ. I took out a mechanical warranty when I bought the car so that paid for the last egr valves. Still have one year to run.

Post #505269 Tue Sep 13 2016 12:00pm
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

For that price, you could buy an IID BT, have it shipped to NZ, use it to apply a BAS remap with the EGR patch and still have money left over. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #505275 Tue Sep 13 2016 12:36pm
savi18

New Zealand 

Going to look at buying the llD tool this weekend but would the remap work on a 2009 model. Actually the vehicle build date was dec 2008

Post #505334 Tue Sep 13 2016 8:01pm
garrycol

Australia 

Do you get the fault when not towing??? If it is the EGRs then you will get the fault in all circumstances.

My RRS gets the same engine fault when I am towing and using high power - my understanding the ECU reads a too high MAP for what it thinks the engine is doing and throws up the fault. Mine only does it when towing and accelerating up hill or in other high load conditions - does not do it all in any conditions when not towing. Likewise when just driving along when towing it does not appear.

I have learnt how to switch the engine off and back on when driving so no longer have to stop to reset.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #505374 Wed Sep 14 2016 4:25am
Gornal Hills

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

Shocked i need to ask , how do you do that !! Thumbs Up 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #505385 Wed Sep 14 2016 8:10am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

savi18 wrote:
Going to look at buying the llD tool this weekend but would the remap work on a 2009 model. Actually the vehicle build date was dec 2008

Yep. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK

Post #505391 Wed Sep 14 2016 9:25am
savi18

New Zealand 

garrycol wrote:
Do you get the fault when not towing??? If it is the EGRs then you will get the fault in all circumstances.

My RRS gets the same engine fault when I am towing and using high power - my understanding the ECU reads a too high MAP for what it thinks the engine is doing and throws up the fault. Mine only does it when towing and accelerating up hill or in other high load conditions - does not do it all in any conditions when not towing. Likewise when just driving along when towing it does not appear.

I have learnt how to switch the engine off and back on when driving so no longer have to stop to reset.

Garry

Mainly use the RRS for towing and has been losing power when on straight rd never on hills, that is when towing, however on the way to the Stealers for service it did lose power after only 2 mins of driving so engine would have been still cold.when on straight rd and just taking it easy this when it appears to happen, opposite to what yours is doing, vehicle still are Dealers at the moment so hopefully hear something 2morro,
PS: you guys enjoy the heatwave in UK

Post #505394 Wed Sep 14 2016 10:40am
Coxylad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Hi all

any one got any advice Please??

I have RRS 2.7 TDV6 2007

my engine managment light has come on on plugging it in to a machine it says egr valves

has anyone used the EGR valve spray??

It says to spray it into the air intake

DOES THIS WORK????

if it does work surely that wouid only be 1 side as the air intake only runs through 1 side (I THINK)

THANKS IN ADVANCE 2007 RANGE ROVER SPORT 2.7 TDV6 HSE in silver

Post #505889 Tue Sep 20 2016 2:50am
Jaggs

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

The only real way is to remove them and clean them but often they have failed mechanically and no amount of cleaning will sort that, maybe look at blanking Nanocom Evo

Post #505891 Tue Sep 20 2016 3:55am
Coxylad

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Zermatt Silver

Thanks Jaggs

Not sure wanna go down the blanking route,

is it worth trying this EGR cleaner spray?

I had a good result with reconditioning my air compressor for the active suspension works fine

I have just refurbished a second one for a spair 2007 RANGE ROVER SPORT 2.7 TDV6 HSE in silver

Post #506024 Wed Sep 21 2016 8:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1