RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > New order surround cameras or 360 degree pdc
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

JJF701

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
New order surround cameras or 360 degree pdc

Looking to place an order over the next couple of weeks for a 2017my sport. Was looking at getting the surround cameras to help preserve my wheels when going into car parks with those invisible kerbs. My question is, does the 360 degree pdc do the same job? Will it show where my wheels are in regards to a kerb. If so would be a cheaper option than the surround cameras.

Thanks

Post #503898 Sun Aug 28 2016 8:15pm
Violetpiano

United Kingdom 

Hi,

I don't have surround cameras and PDC is very useful to gauge front and rear distances.

As for parking, I usually have to reverse into street parking spaces and the dipping side mirrors are more than adequate assistance for that manoeuvre.

Jas Current RRS: MY18 SVR
Previous RRS: MY15 RRS 5.0L Autobiography

Post #503925 Mon Aug 29 2016 12:05am
Gerd1986

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Santorini Black

I have the surround cameras on MY12 and they are a god send especially in multi story car parks.

Only issue is having to click through 5 menus to get to the right camera view but that may be different on the new ones.

Post #503930 Mon Aug 29 2016 12:57am
wilf

I must be the only person with the surround cameras who finds them of little help while parking?

It takes forever to find a view that might help and then the area you want to examine is too small, so more wasted time while you try to zoom in (if that particular view will let you). In the meantime the drivers of the cars behind you are getting impatient.............this is an option I won't bother speccing again. The "plan" view is ridiculously small and of no help at all, unlike some I have seen in other marques. Even Nissan do it so much better.

The Sport is an easy car to park IMHO - square, straight sided, easy to judge the extremities, and far easier than any saloon I have had.

Oh - and the 20" rims I deliberately specced mean you don't worry much about kerbs.................. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #503941 Mon Aug 29 2016 9:18am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Gerd1986 wrote:
I have the surround cameras on MY12 and they are a god send especially in multi story car parks.

Only issue is having to click through 5 menus to get to the right camera view but that may be different on the new ones.

Why not add shortcut to Home Menu only have to touch one button then.

Have to agree with Wilf, although I don't know the view from them on the RRS 2, on my own RRS 1 I don't find them of much use really especially as a original 1k option, so only ever switch them on normally to see if they still work. I can see more use for them off road but that's about all.

Cheers
Col

Post #503943 Mon Aug 29 2016 9:40am
Fletcher

England 

We have a 16.5 my and the camera option. It's great we use it a lot . It shows a clear picture of the curb and the gap you have between the wheel. Great for car park barrier islands and curbs . Get it ordered . Thumbs Up

Post #503944 Mon Aug 29 2016 10:31am
JJF701

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Thanks all. Think I will go with the surround cameras as I first planned. Lets hope they are easier to use in the 17my.

Post #504005 Mon Aug 29 2016 6:42pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

The Surround Camera system is good for parking, but where it comes into its own is when driving off road.
For steep gradients, narrow lanes and going into water lanes the cameras can give you views of the individual wheels, any obstruction in front of car (although it is still best to get out of car to check for obstructions and to check depth of water before entering) with the help of the camera system driving off road becomes much safer, and a thoroughly recommended option. You cans elect any one, or multiple screens as required and with the other read outs available you can drive confident on and off road. Thumbs Up

The full 360 degree camera system is the best, it also has overhead view an excellent view. Thumbs Up John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Last edited by Johnski on Sun Sep 04 2016 8:22pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #504008 Mon Aug 29 2016 7:04pm
MAC

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

It must be great you guys can actually use the surround cameras! The display for mine is so dim it is virtually impossible to use. I have been in contact with the dealers since I purchased the car last April and eventually managed to get my display compared with another vehicle to show the difference. Now just have to wait to get a 'good resolution'!!!

Post #504213 Wed Aug 31 2016 5:02pm
MAC

Following my earlier comments on the camera display I tried to use my cameras for parking today and they were impossible to use. See attached pictures. The first is of kerb view and the second is T junction view.

I really suggest that anyone purchasing the camera option asks for a demonstration prior to accepting the vehicle. It is a nightmare trying to get it resolved after purchase.

Post #504284 Thu Sep 01 2016 12:04pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Well, as with Wilf above, I would never spec these on another RRS. Mine are useless. Low resolution and spend half their life caked in muck (as no washers) which lowers the resolution even further. If there was a forward facing camera that had a record facility, it may be worthwhile, but there isn't not even on the most recent MY17's (although the resolution of the cameras has been improved and they ae supplied with washers now!). Finally, as with everything that interfaces with the "Infotainment System" it is so slow initiating and then changing from one view to another, you could grow very old waiting for it to react.

Keep your money in your pocket or use it to buy a good dash cam.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #504311 Thu Sep 01 2016 7:46pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

The MY16 ones are much better and higher resolution.

I put a picture on before but my stupid iPad won't let me do it here. I will try later. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #504484 Sun Sep 04 2016 10:50am
MAC

Hi Dave,

It would be great to see a picture with your cameras. Mine is a model 16.5 so should have the higher resolution image.

Post #504506 Sun Sep 04 2016 6:22pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I believe there is a difference to the surround cameras and the 360 degree view surround camera system which also has the brilliant overhead camera view. Perfect. Thumbs Up

If you have a dim (dark) view display and not dirty camera lenses, you can have the brilliance turned up by some dealers.
It can also be a fault if the same on everything. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #504514 Sun Sep 04 2016 8:25pm
Dave777

United Kingdom 

MAC wrote:
Hi Dave,

It would be great to see a picture with your cameras. Mine is a model 16.5 so should have the higher resolution image.

The picture is in my gallery at the bottom of this post. September 29th 2015. Can't seem to embed it on an iPad. MY16 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography in Aleutian silver, stealth pack and toys.

Post #504529 Mon Sep 05 2016 9:26am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>