RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Locked out -Fobs & Manual unlock door not working
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

SH0X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black
Locked out -Fobs & Manual unlock door not working

Hi guys

Range Sport 2005 - Im locked out, superlocked out I think is the LR term Censored

- My fobs both stopped working - the car does not respond
- The manual unlock turns but doesnt not open the passenger door (UK)
- I have done several searches and tried an external access Re-sync with no luck (indicators should flash to confirm its done but it didnt?)
- The Cars battery is charged and alarm is active

Is there another way to get the car to unlock manually?
Any way to access the tail gate latches?

I have dismantled the boot / tailgate upper trim to see the switch but no way in.

I feel that if I can get into the car, my keys will start the car and everything will resync & I will look at the RF unit and wiring to ensure it is OK as have read this can randomly go wrong on these cars.

Thanks in advance, this is truely one of the the worst situations to be in - luckily it is on my driveway

Post #503062 Wed Aug 17 2016 2:34pm
adameverett

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

I was locked out of my car the other week, flat battery. The passenger door would not open at first, took about 3 mins turning the key and bumping the door a bit. I have read other people say they had issues with passenger key not working first time. No idea but maybe worth a try.

Post #503177 Thu Aug 18 2016 9:16pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

Can't you use the (emergency) key (inside fob) to get inside the car?
Just reread your opening post and don't think you have keyless entry? John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #503196 Fri Aug 19 2016 1:10am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

Yes remove the cover on the passengers front door handle.

Use the key blade to slide in the hole underneath.
Lift cover off.
Then use the key in the exposed door lock

Post #503211 Fri Aug 19 2016 12:25pm
SH0X

Hi guys thanks for taking the time to respond

As I say, I'm lucky the car is in a safe place out of the way and have access to another car.. otherwise this would be very stressful.

I tried the manual unlock with the key in the passenger door which is the only key entry point on the car but nothing happens when I turn either way.. I have tried some Plusgas which is like wd40 but supposed to work miracles woth sticky locks but no joy. Will try bumping and hitting the lock as you suggest... anythings worth a try..

Rac came to assist me.
They air bagged the door corner top to allow a rod inside to reach the hazard button and unlock button aswell as the handle but neither of these worked.

Rac chap did say there would be wires in the spoiler area which May possibly be accessed to gI've a feed to the central locking from the boot but there are many wires so would not be easy to work out and the spoiler would need to be damaged to access..

There is no entry to the boot.. I stripped it to see if I could access the latch.

An auto locksmith says cant do anything unless they can gain physical access to the ignition and obd2 port to code a key.
As the car seems to be deadlocked I don't know if that's why the key doesn't do anything when turned? so could a manual lock picker do anything ?

What a headache.

Smashing the rear window or quarter window and squeezing in is my idea... I'm not a big guy so I'll get through with a few grazes if I have to...

Does anyone know what the easier glass window to replace would be ?

When I sort this... I will work out a way to avoid this happening to anyone again and I'll post a how to or discussion regarding it.. its not acceptable !

Post #503264 Sat Aug 20 2016 10:34am
Andy K

There is little point you getting in via the 1/4 window. What do you think you will do once you are in ?

Personally I would get someone skilled to have a go at the passenger lock, as it's either broken or not changed when your key was.

If you think the key blade has been changed since the factory, you could try and get a key code from a dealer, check its not the same as the key you have, and order a blade off ebay for £12.
I guess that is quite a lot of work. Now where's a brick Rolling with laughter

or you could smash the passenger front window.
That door card needs to come off, you can undo the bonnet release, and put the key in the ignition if you think it will resync

Post #503266 Sat Aug 20 2016 11:07am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

What a problem!

Isn't it possible to remove the upper tailgate switch by pulling off the rubber boot and then levering the switch out? Just wondering if using another 12v battery to apply current to the wires thus exposed wires would do anything. Think it would be wise to check the wiring diagram first as there might be a risk of frying a module if you apply current to the wrong side? 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #503268 Sat Aug 20 2016 12:01pm
Andy K

No. Don't do that !

It won't work and will break something expensive.

Ripping the top spoiler off is the way to get in the back. If you want to get in the back!

Post #503275 Sat Aug 20 2016 1:35pm
SH0X

Hi

my intention was to get in with little damage and then use the key to start the car and then I would unlock doors via button as car would recognise the key and that I am the owner.

The tailgate middle switch is nearly a switch with two wires and I got to it by removing the plastic plinth above number plate but it does nothing.

This is a terrible terrible design and rather pointless as if a theif wanted to get in they would smash the window so why make it so hard for a caring owner to get back in...

The range is not the only car with one keyhole only and deadlocking as I checked out my friends cayenne turbo mk1 it is the same...

I guess the spoiler is a good option as you say and can always repair or upgrade but you need to know your wiring or get an auto electrician to do so.

Guys.
thanks for the help and suggestions

I am now in with the help of an angle grinder, pliers, hammer, multimeter, bit of wire , some jump leads and a porsChe cayenne turbo mk1

The doors did not unlock from inside until, as I hoped , I inserted the key and started the car.. then I was able to unlock via dash button.. This car was truly deadlocked and there was no way to open doors from inside unless you were the owner with the key...

After this the key was back to life and I was able to lock unlock the car.. very lucky.

I will look at the rf unit and see if this is wearing or damaged as per the splicing method on other threads as I am not sure how this could just happen out of the blue..

If anyone gets stuck and requires entry it's best to do as suggested above and go via spoiler.. its probably less messy but a little more time.

I'm sure this thread will help others.

Ps I think everyone should get to their boot tailgate switches and feed a wire off of the 12v and stick it somewhere accessible wit a little work eg not obviously hanging out but perhaps behind the tail light or consealed and fused away under the bumper?

Please do think about it. Don't let yourself or the next owner get into this situation because of a poor design.

Post #503308 Sat Aug 20 2016 7:34pm
Andy K

Or you could just check the passenger lock works before you need to use it.

Much easier.

Post #503309 Sat Aug 20 2016 7:58pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

SH0X wrote:

Guys.
thanks for the help and suggestions

I am now in with the help of an angle grinder, pliers, hammer, multimeter, bit of wire , some jump leads and a porsChe cayenne turbo mk1

Well done - whatever you did I hope there isn't too much damage to repair.

If you search the Disco 3 site for the terms 'locked out' there are some useful threads including pictures of the notorious '3 green and white wire splice' in the loom under the nearside sill plate. Apparently it corrodes and can be fixed with a bit of soldering.

Your misfortune prompted me to make sure the passenger door lock key emergency access is working and give it some lubrication. Noted that it unlocks the door by turning CLOCKWISE which is counter-intuitive and lock/unlock is a movement of only 45 degrees each way from the vertical. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #503411 Mon Aug 22 2016 12:04pm
SH0X

Youre right, best to make sure the mechanical lock functions - Im sure it did but I will have to double check when I move the car

The other slight problem I had was the car was parked right up close to the wall on the passengers side, so even if I got that open it would still have been an issue - in which case having access to the boot is another option (im sure there will be times when you cant lift the boot due to restrictions too but the more options the better!

Thanks for the tip re Disco3 - I think I saw that very guide posted and have this on my to check list

Thanks for all the help and replies again
Happy ranging Thumbs Up

Post #503425 Mon Aug 22 2016 4:42pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1