RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > InControl Apps connection failure
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hedders007

InControl Apps connection failure

Hi All,
I have a 2016MY RRS Autobiography which has InControl Apps fitted as standard.
I have used the App many times successfully, but increasingly my iPhone fails to connect when plugged in. The car will not even charge the phone. I have tried another iPhone with InControl Apps installed and changed the cable - same problem. If I unplug the USB cable at the car end and plug into the other socket, the phone starts charging immediately. I have tried connecting when the ignition is off, when the ignition is on, and when the engine is running. Also, phone locked and unlocked. Still no joy. But, increasingly occasionally, the system works perfectly!!
I am therefore assuming that this is a car hardware/car software fault, but would like to go to the dealer with more knowledge, so I am asking if any other forum members have had similar experiences...

Many thanks

Post #502206 Thu Aug 04 2016 9:02pm
JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black

Mine did this (albeit for hardwiring for music as MY14 didn't have in control). Changing the cable for a genuine apple job has seemed to do the trick, also weirdly sometimes pressing the start button and allowing the car 5-10 seconds before starting seems to help....as does not putting it straight in gear when starting.

Dealer said "There are too many variables to consider (phone, cable, connection etc) this a Land Rover issue...." 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #502230 Fri Aug 05 2016 10:26am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I don't have InControl apps either but in both of my Evoques and also in my L494 I had cable problems using Halfords or other brands but when I used my genuine Apple cables no problems at all. In the house I have also noticed that if I use a non Apple USB connector to Apple Lightening connections to recharge my iPad or phone I get a message on the screen warning me that a non-Apple product is inserted in the lightening connector and "might not operate correctly". Quite a few Evoque owners have reported cables that will not work in the car but will in their home! Also Evqoue owners who use memory sticks to save their playlists to and then play in their car have found that larger capacity memory sticks simply will not work - the car's processor cannot handle the number of files and takes an age to read them all - several hours for one of the modestly sized sticks as one owner found out by sitting and waiting!! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #502246 Fri Aug 05 2016 3:47pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hedders007

I'm using a genuine Apple cable 0.5 meter, and have tried other cables (all Apple) with the same result.
Ironically, InControl Apps worked perfectly today over several journeys. No idea if it will tomorrow. It's the inconsistency that makes it so hard to diagnose.....

Post #502273 Fri Aug 05 2016 10:09pm
Hedders007

Sorted!

Just to let you know that my intermittent failure problem has now been sorted. A very diligent engineer at my dealer spent some considerable time trying to replicate the fault, but the system always worked for him. The next time that I had a problem, I took the car in to demonstrate that I had no connection to InControl and my iPhone would not charge by leaving the engine running and not shutting down until the fault was witnessed. The engineer, now having seen it, was determined to sort the problem for me.

The car was booked in and the whole centre console was stripped out. Eventually, the fault could be replicated to order by gentle movement of the wiring loom that feeds the centre console. It seemed that there was a broken wire in the loom. A new loom was ordered which had to be made up specially for my car to suit my options list, and took the factory 3 months!
Once the loom was depatched, my car was booked in, and I was told it would take 2 days as the rebuild of the console takes 10 hours. Once the new loom was fitted and working, a further fault was found where it connect to the loom behind the infotainment panel, so the dealer ordered a new loom for that section, which arrived the next day.

Car was then reassembled which took a while as the engineer was determined that not only would the problem be sorted, but that he would not introduce any squeaks or rattles.

I now have the car back after having a 'loaner' Evoque for a few days, and I'm delighted to report that all is working perfectly and the interior is free of any squeaks and rattles. The bonus is that the Q634 update was also done, and the car seems considerably more lively!

A big pat on the back for excellent service from the team at Harwoods in Lewes, Sussex.

Mercy Christmas to all!

Hedders

Post #512897 Sat Dec 24 2016 12:56pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Great when the dealership staff go that extra bit to solve an issue - my local dealership are also great in that respect. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #512898 Sat Dec 24 2016 1:18pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Obviously unconnected with this problem, but I have had problems when connecting devices using USB cables - until I realised that some USB cables are only wired for charging, even OEM ones, and not fully wired for all connection functions. Beware using random USB cables!

Post #512900 Sat Dec 24 2016 1:26pm
Tinu

Switzerland 

If using a 3rd party iphone cable, just make sure it is MFi certified by Apple.

http://www.howtogeek.com/240407/why-your-i...certified/

Then it should work like an oem cable.

Cheers,
Tinu

Post #512908 Sat Dec 24 2016 4:24pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1