RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Road Trip - Great Ocean Road
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

DrFox1969

Australia 
Road Trip - Great Ocean Road

4.5 months and 6500 km's into ownership and loving the car. No real gripes apart from a few minor warranty issues early days.

Just completed a 2000 km plus road trip from Adelaide to Melbourne, then back over 4 days along the Great Ocean Road. 2 adults, 2 kids and a weeks’ worth of clothing/gear. The car never missed a beat although I did think the luggage space was a little smaller than my Mercedes ML with luggage piled high so I could not use the rear mirror. I rarely fill up the luggage space in general use so not really a long term issue.

Very comfortable long distance cruiser from Adelaide to Melbourne......stick it in cruise at 110kph and relax. Only used 2/3 of a tank doing 750km so was impressed by the economy which was something close to the claimed JLR Extra Urban figure of 7.6L/100KM (37mpg).

Then on the GOR it was great along the twisty roads although with the family in tow it was not a time to be putting the foot down. A few shots below of the Rangie en route.

Went through some horrendous weather on the way back from Mt Gambier with monsoon rain and heavy winds but the RRS was firm and steady, even at speed through standing water.

Great road trip in a fantastic car. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #502639 Fri Aug 12 2016 6:55am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Thanks for sharing ... very nice shots. These cars are great long distance cruisers as you said. Can't wait for our 2000+ miles trip starting in just a few days! Done many similar holidays in this and both the previous Sports. Is it sad that I am looking forward to the drive nearly as much as the scenery? Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone
Gone: MY13 RRS 3.0 SDV6 HSE Black Edition, Orkney Grey/Ivory
Gone: MY09 RRS 2.7 TDV6 HSE, Santorini Black/Almond

Post #502640 Fri Aug 12 2016 7:35am
sagalout

We've just got back from the South of France and the car was awesome. 4 adults and a dog, luggage for all and 2 road bikes which were stored in the car not on bike racks. The lack of spare wheel in the SVR actually gives a huge amount of storage in the wheel well (I liken it to the smugglers hatch on the millennium falcon haha).

On the way back we did the journey, 1020 miles, non stop apart from fuel and tunnel. Even managed an astonishing 26mpg overall for the 2500 mile trip.

Had one brown trouser moment when driving enthusiastically up a mountain road and looked in my rear view mirror the see the flashing lights of the gendarmes. I slowed down and they just carried on, giving me a 'slow down' sign out of the passenger window!

Sounded immense when I started it up in the train too haha.

Post #502642 Fri Aug 12 2016 8:52am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Glad to see you guys are enjoying/looking forward to your road trips.

Be good to hear of more experiences on this thread.

fkarim - its not sad......its expected!!! Rolling with laughter

sagalout - sounds like the car would have been packed, although I like the idea of using the wheel well. Mine has a full size spare so not really an option. With the amount of gear my wife and daughter took away with us for a week (and the kitchen sink!!!) if we had gone for any longer I would have needed a trailer!!! Travelling light is not an option. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #502646 Fri Aug 12 2016 9:44am
sagalout

Yeah, it was very packed! Couldn't see out of the back window at all. The bikes took up a huge amount of room but I got the wife and kids to pack soft bags instead of hard cases. Got 2 of the full size bags in the wheel well, as well as a case of wine and cheese on the way back!

Post #502650 Fri Aug 12 2016 10:04am
IRBails

Australia 

Good going Doc. Love the GOR especially on my GS. I now have 21,000 Kilometers up and will be up for first service soon. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #502660 Fri Aug 12 2016 12:20pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

You have been getting about a bit IRBails.......21,000km in 5 months!! 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #502699 Sat Aug 13 2016 1:54am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

Just adding to this thread as DrFox1969 asked ...

Got back from our trip last night. Faultless car, amazing comfort Bow down I drove close to 2,500 miles (~ 4,000 km) in 10 days including almost 1,000 km on the first day and over 800 km on the last day. Didn't tire me one tiny bit, despite getting stuck for hours and hours in multiple horrendous traffic jams on our way back. Handles so well on the twisties in dynamic mode. Plenty of power whenever you need it for overtaking at any speed and at any gradient. Very confidence-infusing on the Autobahns as well.

Some photos:

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge
 Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top
Gone: MY16 RRS2 3.0 SDV6 Autobiography Dynamic, Carpathian Grey & Santorini Black Sliding Pano/Ebony & Ivory 2 Tone

Post #504114 Tue Aug 30 2016 8:00pm
DrFox1969

Australia 

Fantastic photos fkarim.

Where are they taken, some of the scenery is stunning!

Some solid mileage driven to give your car a real blast in the mountains. I certainly agree with your comments on comfort, the RRS is a great tourer. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #504154 Wed Aug 31 2016 1:46am
fkarim

United Kingdom 

1 & 2: Susten Pass, Switzerland
3: Lake Lungern, Switzerland
4 & 5: Falzarego Pass, Dolomites, Italy Current: Volvo XC90 T8 Inscription Pro PHEV with some optionals on top

Post #504160 Wed Aug 31 2016 8:03am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1