RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General > steering knock
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

autolines

2005 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 SE Cairns Blue
steering knock

Hi, i recently purchased a 2005 sport ex demonstrator from bradford with 12k on the clock. Having served my time in the garage trade i am quite familier with the mechanics of most vehicles so when i had driven my new sport for about a week i realised that i had 2 noticable steering issues.
1/ was the shimmer thats most noticable when hovering the throtle in top gear at about 30-35mph and again at about 50mph. this is not really a noise (but almost) and you would swear it was comming from the gear box as i can pick it up just as 3rd gear is selected (auto box). its almost like the spigott bearing in the back of the gear box. i note that most forum readers have a similar problem. To add to this i had a knock which again could not be heard but felt when backing off my drive then powering away whilst straightening the wheel (you got a dink through the wheel).
I live nearset to Brock near Garstang but after trying to purchase there to no avail decided to travel to Hillendale landrover Nelson Colne.
I called & explained that i had 2 steering problems & they booked me in to see the technician next week.
On arrival i noted my name on a board in the entrance which was nice (had 2 new BMW 330ds & 530dS & neaver had my name up in lights).
I was then met by Bill the head techy who asked my if we could go out together. i sat in the passenger seat & showed Bill my notes on the 2 issues, Bill read them & said the shimmer was a problem that hadnt been fixed as of yet but the knock was the steering arm which due to the air suspension, bottomed out when lowered which in turn caused the joint to wear. there was a new replacement part available but to clarify it we went on the perfect little track that Bill had laid out after finding this problem lots of times. We drove the route & Bill said yes i feel it i will order the part.
1 week later i dropped the car off & they lent me a landrover tdv6 whic had 2k on the clock i drove back the 40miles & noticed straight away the shimmer which was identical to mine, i called at a friend on the way who had just taken delivery of a sport HSE which had 6k on the clock & i drove it for about 10miles he had the shimmer also & again it was identical to mine, none had the knock though.
3.30pm Hillendales called to say the job was done so i headed back, my car was washed & vacuumed & my knock was gone (still is gone as well) Bill m Very Happy entioned that my rear tyre was on the wrong way round & he had flipped it for me.
well done Hillendale & Bill.

Post #69024 Mon Dec 04 2006 8:10pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Glad that you seem to have found what appears to be one of the better dealers...... they aren't all that good as some on here will tetsify! Are they part of a big chain or are the family "independant" set-up?
Oh and welcome to the foums. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #69025 Mon Dec 04 2006 8:15pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
autolines

Thankyou for the welcome.
I belive they are family & they came highly recomended, i found that having had BMW for some time my major worry buying Landrover was that most dealerships are in semi rural areas which feed the farming community with there vehicles. this is there bread & butter & lets face it farmers don't go back with a steering knock therefore the service departments look at you a bit silly when we compalin with a rattle etc. (Note James Edwards Brock, dont go there!) Now BMW are geared up for you comming in with a rattle they almost expect you to come. But this said Hillendales seem to be just on the outskirst of town & they have a great set up & Bill whome mentioned is in his mid 40's & been with Landrover since leaving school. His words were i wouldnt work for any other company than Landrover.
I will buy from them next time & definatley have service there.

Post #69035 Mon Dec 04 2006 8:48pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

The dealer I have used for the last 12 years and 6 Land Rover products is also a family run show with no ties to one of the big chains - their service is excellent although when it comes to buying a new car from them discounts are rare! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #69038 Mon Dec 04 2006 9:09pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Lateral5

Australia 
Re: steering knock

autolines wrote:
1/ was the shimmer thats most noticable when hovering the throtle in top gear at about 30-35mph and again at about 50mph. this is not really a noise (but almost) and you would swear it was comming from the gear box as i can pick it up just as 3rd gear is selected (auto box). its almost like the spigott bearing in the back of the gear box. i note that most forum readers have a similar problem.

Hmmm sounds like my problem to a T. Feedback through the steering wheel which feels like something is out of balance. It has gone back to the dealer and they are replacing my torque converter. Will let you know the outcome.... RRS TDV6 Bluetooth, VR, Roof

Post #69081 Tue Dec 05 2006 9:34am
The doc

United Kingdom 

MOVED

Last edited by The doc on Mon Dec 11 2006 2:57pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #69086 Tue Dec 05 2006 11:20am
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

Doc - is the knock occuring when the steering is on full/partial rather than straight? 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #69142 Tue Dec 05 2006 3:28pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

The knock non existant until you drive along the road and go over a pot hole or a man hole etc

The noise seems to be comming from cront center(ish) and seems to be triggered by either of the front two wheels hitting pot holes / etc

I HATE IT Evil or Very Mad

Post #69171 Tue Dec 05 2006 6:29pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

Just got my (dirty) car back from my local Land Rover garage.

They have fixed the electronic fault on the suspension but have said that the "knocking" sound from the suspension is a characteristic of the dynamic response system and that there was nothing further that they could do.

The sound coming from my car is reminiscent of a failed shock absorber on mildly bumpy or holed roads.

If Land Rover think that a noise like this is "not a problem" on a 47k car they must think we are mugs!

I have booked it into another Land Rover garage for a second opinion and if the result is the same I shall be rejecting the car as it has only covered 700 miles in the 3 weeks that I have owned it.

Am I the only person with this fault?

Post #69663 Fri Dec 08 2006 1:05pm
Very Annoyed
Site Moderator

Location: bat-wielding monkey-spanking tough-love zero-tolerance Euro-sceptic moderator - So just watch it!

United Kingdom 

I don't have this problem. 2005 Zambezi TDV6 - Gone but not forgotten
2009 Alaska TDV8 - Gone and much missed.

WINNER - 2009 �Idler Of The Year� Award
Runner Up - 2009 �Just Doing What It�s Designed To Do� Award

DO NOT CLICK HERE!

Post #69668 Fri Dec 08 2006 1:13pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

UPDATE:

I took the my bus to Hillendale land rover Nelson Colne today and they confirmed that the noise was NOT A NORMAL SOUND - There is supposed slight clunk when the steering wheel is moved side to side when DYNANIC RESPONSE is fitted but the noise I have is apparently not the norm!

I have booked it in for next Monday for two days for them to try and find the noise!

As per AUTOLINE's posting my name was on the welcome board (nice touch) and the staff were polite and had an excellent attitude and did not look at all surprised that I was not happy with my knocking sound - nice!

I will update you all next week so fingers crossed all will be well - I love my car and don’t want to change it but I can't live with that noise!

Post #70318 Tue Dec 12 2006 12:15am
noddy

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

Doc - sounds promising.. just sent you a pm..

Nod RRS Supercharged
Java/ Ivory

'94 F355, '90 M3 Evo, '95 Integrale Evo, '97 Cooper S Works, '84 911 Cab, '89 911 Speedster, '85 6R4, '59 Routemaster and something sensible for the Mrs

Post #70370 Tue Dec 12 2006 6:11pm
autolines

Hi Doc,

glad you found something of use that i posted re-steering knock. I must say i am keen to find out how you went on with yours?

1 month in from my repair and all is still well (fingers crossed)

George.

Post #71747 Wed Dec 20 2006 8:53pm
The doc

United Kingdom 

COPIED FROM "SUSPENSION PROBLEM - SOUNDS LIKE A U/S SHOCK ABSORBER..."

Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone

I Collected my car today at 4pm from HILLENDALE in NELSON (FAB GUYS - THANKS AGAIN) and guess what????

NO knocking sound!

They replaced the Anti roll bar drop link bushes which were U/S - and that’s it - no excuses - no LR said - Just drop it of and they fix it!

I was so please I went on a 4 hour tour through Manchester etc to find all the potholes that I could and NO KNOCKING!

So...

The knocking sound on my car sounded like...

du du du du dump - long and drawn out over holes etc this is the noise it made when knocking was there.

du dump (the normal noise as the front and rear wheels hit the holes etc now)

Does this help ANYONE?

Thanks goes to AUTOLINES for suggesting Hillendale LR - I 'd have sold the car if it were not for Hillendale - and thanks to all you guys that have helped and supported me - now its time to sort the rest of you out!

I absolutely without reservation recommend and will be buying my next LR from:

HILLENDALE LR Nelson
www.hillendale.co.uk
Tel 01282723723
Steve Marsden on Service knows all about it and was really helpful!

AND FFS steer well clear of the chiseling tw8ts at:

JAMES EDWARDS St Helens or Chester as there Censored hawks.

Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone Milestone

Post #71769 Wed Dec 20 2006 11:26pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1