RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > My first RRS.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

grey17

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey
My first RRS.

Hello all.

Though I'd just drop a quick hi to all on here as a newbie RRS owner. Bought a gorgeous, 1 owner, full main dealer history 4.4 Sport 6 weeks ago and love it to bits!
Gave it a major service including an engine oil change to Castrol fully synthetic, main gearbox oil and filter change with genuine ZF parts and oil, transfer box, and diffs.

New spark plugs, mass air flow meter, pcv valve, front pads and wheel bearings.

I cleaned the throttle body as it sometimes gave a "reduced engine power" warning on the dash in conjunction with slightly rough running and cutting out at very low speed.
Since cleaning its never missed a beat and runs super smooth.

On a recent run back from Devon to London it was hovering around 27-29mpg which I though was pretty good.

Fabulous car Very Happy

Post #501119 Mon Jul 18 2016 3:33pm
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

May I be the first to welcome you to the forum ,
I'm relatively new here also but have found lots
Of great advice, the search button is your friend Laughing
P.S your sport looks lovely Thumbs Up

Post #501128 Mon Jul 18 2016 4:44pm
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

27 MPG ? Confused Were you doing 50MPH ?

Post #501143 Mon Jul 18 2016 7:28pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

I've never got 27 out of my 2012 3.0 diesel.looks a nice motor for a 2006.

Andy.

Last edited by Tyrefitter on Mon Jul 18 2016 8:50pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #501153 Mon Jul 18 2016 8:24pm
grey17

DEVON wrote:
May I be the first to welcome you to the forum ,
I'm relatively new here also but have found lots
Of great advice, the search button is your friend Laughing
P.S your sport looks lovely Thumbs Up

Hi Devon.

Many thanks for the welcome Smile

Are you from that County?

Post #501155 Mon Jul 18 2016 8:43pm
grey17

Andy K wrote:
27 MPG ? Confused Were you doing 50MPH ?

Hi Andy.

I was doing around 70 give or take a bit the whole way home.

I did notice a big difference in the figures as the fuel burned off. I brimmed it when I left and struggled to get 22mpg but as the needle slowly came down the gauge, so the figures went up.
At half a tank, going along on the flat on the M4 it indicating 27-29 mpg.

Tyre pressures were checked at the garage and 35psi all 'round giving a slightly firmer ride than normal.

I decided to do a little research on the weight of petrol and how much this affects performance. One litre of petrol weighs 0.711kg and the Sport has a 88 ltr capacity.
If you roughly halve that to 44 ltrs and multiply by 0.711 you get about 31kg of fuel, 60 odd kg when full which is a lot of weight.

In a separate test, I dropped my full size spare wheel off (32kg) and this had a similar positive and very healthy effect on the few consumption.

I may go for a space saver to try and reduce the weight a bit.

The really annoying things are those harmonic balance weights swinging from the rear end! Now if I could loose those we'd be really talking Wink

Post #501157 Mon Jul 18 2016 9:03pm
grey17

Tyrefitter wrote:
I've never got 27 out of my 2012 3.0 diesel.looks a nice motor for a 2006.

Andy.

Hi Andy.

Thanks for your message. I was beginning to think I'd done the wrong thing in buying a petrol but I'm starting to think otherwise now!

Any ideas what the TDV8 is like around town and on a run?

Cheers.

Post #501158 Mon Jul 18 2016 9:05pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

grey17 wrote:

I decided to do a little research on the weight of petrol and how much this affects performance. One litre of petrol weighs 0.711kg and the Sport has a 88 ltr capacity.
If you roughly halve that to 44 ltrs and multiply by 0.711 you get about 31kg of fuel, 60 odd kg when full which is a lot of weight.

In a separate test, I dropped my full size spare wheel off (32kg) and this had a similar positive and very healthy effect on the few consumption.

The really annoying things are those harmonic balance weights swinging from the rear end! Now if I could loose those we'd be really talking Wink

You bought a 2.5 tonne, large capacity engine 4x4 and you're thinking of trying to save fuel by cutting off a handful of kg? You don't think that perhaps you bought the wrong vehicle in the first place? Rolling with laughter A nice 60mpg Focus diesel sounds more like it... Whistle Rolling with laughter

Anyway, did you get your mpg figure from the onboard computer? Don't necessarily trust it too much.

Oh, and your RRS looks very nice. Nice and unmolested. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #501160 Mon Jul 18 2016 9:18pm
DEVON

England 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Devon.

Many thanks for the welcome Smile

Are you from that County?[/quote]

Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter
Unfortunately not !!! Although I've visited many times .
My Farther who is Jamaican made a deal with my Mother to choose
the name of a son , my Mother got to choose the name of a daughter
That's why my name is Devon and not Vanessa Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter

Although my Mother did put ribbons in my hair ??
And I've got pictures to prove it Embarassed

Post #501167 Mon Jul 18 2016 11:24pm
grey17

RRSTDV8 wrote:
grey17 wrote:

You bought a 2.5 tonne, large capacity engine 4x4 and you're thinking of trying to save fuel by cutting off a handful of kg? You don't think that perhaps you bought the wrong vehicle in the first place? Rolling with laughter A nice 60mpg Focus diesel sounds more like it... Whistle Rolling with laughter

Anyway, did you get your mpg figure from the onboard computer? Don't necessarily trust it too much.

Oh, and your RRS looks very nice. Nice and unmolested. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good morning RRSTDV8 Smile

Thanks for your reply, good to hear your views!

You would be staggered at the difference it makes by removing excess weight from your motor, seriously.

I checked the fuel computers accuracy on paper when I bought it to compare with how it reads on the car and it was very close, actually reading under so happy with that.

As a rough example, I bet you are most likely running with 20" rims? Supercharged rims possibly? These weight in at 22kg each making 88kg in unsprung weight.
My 19" rims weight 15.4kg making 61.6kg unsprung.

The difference is 26.4kg already and thats just a start with the wheels and is similar to driving around with a second spare wheel.

Compomotive PD1880 alloys come in at 12kg so you can see its easy to shed weight quick.

Drop your spare wheel off for a day and see the difference Smile

I grew up with Land Rovers so I know all about their foibles but love 'em all the same.

Have a great day!

Post #501173 Tue Jul 19 2016 6:57am
grey17

RRSTDV8 wrote:
grey17 wrote:

Oh, and your RRS looks very nice. Nice and unmolested. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Good morning RRSTDV8 Smile

Thanks for your reply, good to hear your views!

You would be staggered at the difference it makes by removing excess weight from your motor, seriously.

I checked the fuel computers accuracy on paper when I bought it to compare with how it reads on the car and it was very close, actually reading under so happy with that.

As a rough example, I bet you are most likely running with 20" rims? Supercharged rims possibly? These weight in at 22kg each making 88kg in unsprung weight.
My 19" rims weight 15.4kg making 61.6kg unsprung.

The difference is 26.4kg already and thats just a start with the wheels and is similar to driving around with a second spare wheel.

Compomotive PD1880 alloys come in at 12kg so you can see its easy to shed weight quick.

Drop your spare wheel off for a day and see the difference Smile

I grew up with Land Rovers so I know all about their foibles but love 'em all the same.

Have a great day!

Post #501174 Tue Jul 19 2016 7:01am
RRSTDV8

I run 19in rims with AT tyres. Any savings from a 10kg weight change are likely dwarfed by the loss caused by the ATs. Rolling with laughter

I'm not going to drive without a spare or even with space saver. I've got a full size spare with full size AT tyre for a reason! Whistle

As I said, if you want to save fuel you bought the wrong vehicle. Buying an inefficient RRS (especially the 4.4) and then trying to save 1 or 2 mpg seems like folly to me. You could have bought e.g. a Tiguan and got 40mpg out of the box. Whistle 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #501182 Tue Jul 19 2016 8:27am
grey17

Ah well, AT tyres do make a difference and each to their own.

If you need AT's then thats fine and of course makes sense to have a spare of the same type if you are off road, however, I am not.

Even Land Rover are interested in making fuel savings and their products more economical to make them more appealing to potential customers so I don'y buy for a second that most of us wouldn't be interested.

As I said, drop your spare for a day, for an hour and see the difference Smile

Given that you run AT 's, what's your TDV8 like on a run at 70 ish?

Cheers

Post #501183 Tue Jul 19 2016 8:36am
Slim444

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I ran 19's with ice and snow tyres on over winter (and beyond) and it raped the fuel consumption, about 10% more than with 20's wearing Hankook boots. Then again, to be expected!
Probably going to return to the 19's when the tyres are shot on the 20's, but put normal tyres on. I wouldn't mind the fuel consumption if it did the quoted, but measured consumption is still no-where near book, even on long runs, so any gains welcome!

cheers

Post #501201 Tue Jul 19 2016 10:28am
RRSTDV8

I run 255/55/19 Grabber AT at the moment and I get maybe 22mpg over all. On a steady run with not too much acceleration that goes up to maybe 26mpg. I'd expect a couple of mpg improvement if running on road rubber.

I'm thinking of going back to Pirelli ATR for summer use with Duratrac for winter/ play times. The ATR is probably a better tyre for me most of the time. Lack of supply was the issue previously but seems to be sorted now. The Duratrac looks to be an excellent all rounder but perhaps a bit too off road for most of my use.

I also use the BAS FBH controller every morning to start warming the vehicle before I set off. That will impact the fuel economy figures too as it runs for 30 minutes and uses maybe 1/2 litre each time. That's half a gallon each week straight away.

But I never bought the RRS with fuel in mind. If I did, I wouldn't have used it to do 27,000 miles last year! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #501206 Tue Jul 19 2016 11:53am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>