RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > My Range Rover Sport > My first RRS.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

You would be surprised how many RRS owners are running around without a spare.
Most of them are completely unaware that it has been stolen. Rolling Eyes
Once did a quick survey of my home town and of 18 Sports not one of them had the spare wheel (except mine obviously as it is fitted with antitheft device). 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #501209 Tue Jul 19 2016 1:43pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Perhaps the nickable spare is LR's answer to VW's emissions cheat device. Wheel gets nicked, emissions improved. Easy. Rolling with laughter Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #501210 Tue Jul 19 2016 2:52pm
grey17

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

Slim444 wrote:
I ran 19's with ice and snow tyres on over winter (and beyond) and it raped the fuel consumption, about 10% more than with 20's wearing Hankook boots. Then again, to be expected!
Probably going to return to the 19's when the tyres are shot on the 20's, but put normal tyres on. I wouldn't mind the fuel consumption if it did the quoted, but measured consumption is still no-where near book, even on long runs, so any gains welcome!

cheers

Hi Slim.

Good to hear from you and thats an interesting comparison with your winters vs summer boots. Winters have a much softer compound and some can increase rolling resistance quite a lot.

Have a look through something like this for a thorough review before you buy your next set.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-...e-Test.htm

I'll be buying some this year so will read up as well.

Post #501215 Tue Jul 19 2016 4:56pm
Gornal Hills

United Kingdom 2007 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Cairns Blue

I need to know truthfully..... who HAS taken the harmonic weights off to increase fuel consumption Embarassed Embarassed Rolling with laughter
someone somewhere must have tried it ?? 2007, HSE, Cairnes Blue, Factory tints, Love it !!!

Post #501217 Tue Jul 19 2016 5:15pm
grey17

RRSTDV8 wrote:
I run 255/55/19 Grabber AT at the moment and I get maybe 22mpg over all. On a steady run with not too much acceleration that goes up to maybe 26mpg. I'd expect a couple of mpg improvement if running on road rubber.

I'm thinking of going back to Pirelli ATR for summer use with Duratrac for winter/ play times. The ATR is probably a better tyre for me most of the time. Lack of supply was the issue previously but seems to be sorted now. The Duratrac looks to be an excellent all rounder but perhaps a bit too off road for most of my use.

I also use the BAS FBH controller every morning to start warming the vehicle before I set off. That will impact the fuel economy figures too as it runs for 30 minutes and uses maybe 1/2 litre each time. That's half a gallon each week straight away.

But I never bought the RRS with fuel in mind. If I did, I wouldn't have used it to do 27,000 miles last year!

Thanks for the info on your fuel consumption, much appreciated. I was starting to think I should have gone for a 3.6 but think my 4.4 is pretty damn good now Very Happy!

I've got 255/55/19 Pirelli Scorpion Zero m+s on mine, basically what it came with when I bought it and they seem pretty good. They are very quiet! I test drove another Sport shod with Supercharged rims and tyres and above 20mph the tyre noise was excessive!

Going to do a bit of research on winter or all season tyres and see whats out there for this season.

Do you use the remote heater even in the summer time? Just curious really. My RRS temp gauge goes from cold to needle in the middle, normal in about 3/4mile!
My old diesel Audi used to take about 4 miles to get the heat through and was a total pain in the winter!

Post #501218 Tue Jul 19 2016 5:15pm
grey17

Gornal Hills wrote:
I need to know truthfully..... who HAS taken the harmonic weights off to increase fuel consumption Embarassed Embarassed Rolling with laughter
someone somewhere must have tried it ??

I read on another forum, a guy over in the States had done so and reported no handling ill effects so was wondering if anyone over here had done so?

The pain is, for the D3 and first generation Sport you need to lift off the body from the chassis to remove them, later models the weights are cast in two and can be simply unbolted.

I would love to know Smile

Post #501219 Tue Jul 19 2016 5:23pm
RRSTDV8

grey17 wrote:

Do you use the remote heater even in the summer time? Just curious really. My RRS temp gauge goes from cold to needle in the middle, normal in about 3/4mile!
My old diesel Audi used to take about 4 miles to get the heat through and was a total pain in the winter!

The diesels take a while to warm up, especially compared to the petrol models. Also, the heater helps when the glow plugs get tired with age. At 130,000 miles, mine starts better with some warmth in it.

As for fuel use generally, the 4.4 petrol was dropped and, effectively replaced by the 3.6TDV8 precisely because it drinks a lot for the power you actually get out. That's one reason the 4.4 is fairly rare. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #501245 Tue Jul 19 2016 9:50pm
RRSTDV8

grey17 wrote:
Gornal Hills wrote:
someone somewhere must have tried it ??

I read on another forum, a guy over in the States had done so and reported no handling ill effects so was wondering if anyone over here had done so?

The pain is, for the D3 and first generation Sport you need to lift off the body from the chassis to remove them, later models the weights are cast in two and can be simply unbolted.

I would love to know Smile

The weights are for the benefit of the passengers, I believe, not handling.

And seriously, if you want a fuel efficient RRS buy a SDV6. The 4.4 petrol is never going to be fuel efficient. Rolling with laughter 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #501246 Tue Jul 19 2016 9:54pm
grey17

Hi RRSTDV8

The weights on the rear chassis are Harmonic mass balance weights and are for vibration damping at a particular frequency, not passenger comfort.

If it was for the latter or handling then they would not be rubber mounted and free swinging but just simply bolted on.
The rubber mounts and weights are to damp acoustic vibrations.

Anyone with a facelifted Sport of D4 can fairly easily unbolt them Smile

I'd say from your figures theres not much in it between the 3.6 and 4.4 although your tyres most likely account for a bit.

Post #501259 Wed Jul 20 2016 8:55am
deano_123

United Kingdom 

Paddi wrote:
Once did a quick survey of my home town and of 18 Sports not one of them had the spare wheel (except mine obviously as it is fitted with antitheft device).

You sound like a lot of fun Yawn

Post #501268 Wed Jul 20 2016 12:07pm
grey17

Paddi wrote:
Once did a quick survey of my home town and of 18 Sports not one of them had the spare wheel (except mine obviously as it is fitted with antitheft device).

I've seen a couple like that but most around here have their full size spares still fitted or a space saver.
Just out of curiosity, whats your motor like on fuel?
Around town and at a steady 70mph on a run?

Cheers

Post #501278 Wed Jul 20 2016 3:08pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic44946.html

Already replied to that question on your mpg thread. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #501346 Thu Jul 21 2016 10:43am
Slim444

United Kingdom 2011 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

[/quote]
Hi Slim.

Good to hear from you and thats an interesting comparison with your winters vs summer boots. Winters have a much softer compound and some can increase rolling resistance quite a lot.

Have a look through something like this for a thorough review before you buy your next set.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/2015-...e-Test.htm

I'll be buying some this year so will read up as well.[/quote]

A good read for sure, but I won't be buying any more winter tyres. They came on the 19's when I bought them, so though I might as well get the use. Ice & Snow tyres are a bit excessive for our climate unless you potter about in the Highlands of Scotland on a regular basis! Might put 'em back on if we get winters like we used to in the mid 80's Wink

cheers

Post #501349 Thu Jul 21 2016 10:57am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I cleared the mud out of the rear wheel arches to save weight Whistle

I got 2 dust pan fulls out of one side. (don't know if that is typical)

and then some anti rust treatment

http://www.rrsport.co.uk/forum/topic45005.html

Post #501391 Thu Jul 21 2016 7:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12