Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > EGR Blanking
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Jock 77

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
EGR Blanking

Hi Lads

Looking to Blank the EGR valves on my TDV6 in the next week or say, Going by various pictures on the forum showing the crud build up, Is it advisable to try and clean this crud away from the main intake and the EGR feedback stubs when removing the Butterfly.

Or is there more chance of chasing this crud further into the intake whilst trying to clean it and causing more harm than good.

Another wee query, when starting from cold I seem to get a very tinny / tinkly rattle ,then if I give it a couple of gentle revs it seems to clear. Any ideas what could be causing this, have searched round but can't seem to pin point the culprit.

Cheers Jock Confused

Post #500763 Thu Jul 14 2016 1:30am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

Yes, if you gently work the butterfly housing up you can pop it out and clean out the gunk. A toothbrush, diesel and brake cleaner works well. Be sure to give the MAP sensor a clean too (ensuring not to poke anything in the hole).

The rattle sounds a little bit like one I had, which unfortunately proved to be a knackered turbo, but it was more woodpecker like than tinkly. Fingers crossed yours is something else though.

Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #500787 Thu Jul 14 2016 10:12am
cubbyno9

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Hi Jock,if you are looking to get any work done use the chap Disco Mickey on here, he is MMP Land Rover and the guy really knows his stuff and wont rip you off. I have been using him and can only thoroughly recommend him. 2017 Range Rover Sport HSE

Post #500816 Thu Jul 14 2016 3:47pm
Jock 77

Re EGR Blanking

Hi Lads thanks for the replies , as you say hopefully its not a Turbo Big Cry

Will take my time and try to give as good and careful a clean as I can. Mikey has been a fountain of Knowledge and help to me since I bought my Sport away back Bow down and have to say everyone else on the forum too.

Have ordered my Blanks from Mikey so hopefully tackling this job in the next week or say.Will have another search around for the Tinkling noise and try to pinpoint.

Any other ideas of what it could be or check would also be much appreciated.

Thanks again Jock Thumbs Up

Post #500817 Thu Jul 14 2016 4:03pm
JOCK55

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Firenze Red

Jock 77

WRT your "tinkling" noise. You don't say where about on the car this is coming from. However, I had a slight problem with a similar sort of noise coming from the passenger side under-floor area of my car. Mentioned it when it went for its first service, and dealer managed to fix it. I was told it was a bolt that holds one of the exhaust heat shields beneath the car had come loose. The heat shield rattled when the car was cold, but when hot and there was slight expansion of the metal the tinkling noise stopped. Seems like a plausible explanation to me, and could be the same for you.

All the best with your investigations.

Old Jock 2018 (MY19) Jaguar F-Pace R-Sport 300PS Petrol in Caesium Blue with many bells and whistles.
2015 RRS HSE SDV6 Firenze Red with Santorini Panoramic Glass Roof, gone but not forgotten.

Post #500909 Fri Jul 15 2016 12:29pm
Jock 77

Re EGR Blanking

Thanks Jock

I reckon the noise is from the engine bay somewhere although I reckoned it is coming from the front of the engine area ,wondered if the cooling fan could be the culprit.

Well worth a look at the heatshield though as I agree its plausible, willing to look at anything to try and remedy. Its more annoying than I feel sounding like something major ( I hope ) Shocked

Thanks again for the help Jock Thumbs Up

Post #500967 Sat Jul 16 2016 8:54am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1