RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Anyone used these 22" tyres?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

J2D

United Kingdom 
Anyone used these 22" tyres?

Anyone used these 22" tyres?

Post #499873 Wed Jun 29 2016 8:39pm
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Chinese ditch finders.

Why put cheap tyres on your expensive, high speed and very heavy 4x4? Bizarre. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #499880 Wed Jun 29 2016 9:38pm
Tyrefitter

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 Autobiography Fuji White

Don't put these on your sport,or any other car come to think of it,,they are cheap tyres & won't last long.if you don't want to go top end then put something like General Grabbers or Hankook they are good mid range tyres & will last.

Andy. Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2012 RRS Red Edition Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #499882 Wed Jun 29 2016 9:44pm
J2D

United Kingdom 

RRSTDV8 wrote:
Chinese ditch finders.

Why put cheap tyres on your expensive, high speed and very heavy 4x4? Bizarre.

Chill out! I was only asking! I have no idea about tyres, noticed they had a C & B rating, so thought I'd ask

Post #499883 Wed Jun 29 2016 10:07pm
J2D

United Kingdom 

Tyrefitter wrote:
Don't put these on your sport,or any other car come to think of it,,they are cheap tyres & won't last long.if you don't want to go top end then put something like General Grabbers or Hankook they are good mid range tyres & will last.

Andy.

Thanks for the advice. Been looking at the Toyo's after the recommendations on here.

What's with ratings?

Toyo's below

Post #499884 Wed Jun 29 2016 10:14pm
SH0X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

I have some budgets similar to these for my wheels as I was fed up with quality part worn scene from my past cars where I always changed up the wheels and never bought new tyres as felt if they got cut or a bulge they would technically be no good so why buy brand new better to buy quality 6MM part worn but problem was greedy tyre shops and also hard to find a pair...

anyways back to the point I can understand why you would want to try these and I more of less have and can tell you that unless you drive erratically or let's say spirited then you will be ok. If anything its probably just a bit more skittish in the wet. I doubt many people will get into that situation and most of us will never mount a kerb let alone get off road ... city drivers!

I have had that brand as a mixture of tyres on some 200 hp plus cars and they were again fine in all fairness

Post #499890 Thu Jun 30 2016 4:17am
Tyrefitter

With the grip it depends how you drive,,as for the economy they work it out over say 10,000 km's you might use a couple of litres less.ive got Pirelli 285/35r22 on my 2012 sport & I don't get more than 23mpg.if I wanted something that was econominal I would have bought a fiesta diesel.I only use mine at the weekend so I'm not bothered about economy,,in fact if I could drop on a nice rrs2 supercharged id buy it.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #499903 Thu Jun 30 2016 9:21am
Tyrefitter

you could look at the Nexen as they are a decent tyre for the money.

Andy Andy.
21 Ford Ranger
Gone but not forgotten
Focus RS Red Edition
2015 RRS AB Fuji.
2014 RRS SC Santorini
2016 VW Amarok
2014 RRS AB Fuji
2015 Nissan Navara
2012 RRS SE Santorini
2008 RRS White
2007 RRS Santorino

Post #499905 Thu Jun 30 2016 9:29am
junior

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

Andy, also had the Nexens on my missus' Freelander for the past 3 years and no complaints whatsoever. They were fitted by the (LR) dealer when we bought it and a main dealer wouldn't fit duff tyres would they.................

Seriously though would avoid these cheap Chinese tyres like the plague. Had a new set of Kinforest already fitted on an XK I bought a few years ago and these would spin-up when accelerating in a straight line on barely wet roads. Never heard of them before so I googled the name, read a few reviews and promptly ditched them for a new set of Michelins.

Post #499907 Thu Jun 30 2016 10:38am
SH0X

United Kingdom 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Java Black

As you guys say depends how you feel driving with them. I find it very hard to drive this tank in a spirited fashion enough for it to make a difference but then again im sure many of you will use country roads etc so it may make a difference for you but for me 99% city start stop occasion dual carriageway driving they are OK 6 months on.

Ratings are for grip, fuel efficiency, road noise and rated from A downwards

Another reason for newbudget tyres over part worn branded for me was also to keep an eye on the tread wear and have a matching set of tyres which I thought would probably help economy as same tread pattern throughout...

Post #499923 Thu Jun 30 2016 5:22pm
junior

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

SHOX, the problem is not with driving on these budget tyres (esp. Chinese ones) but stopping 2.5 plus tonnes of metal on wet roads. You don't have to blow the bank on premium tyres as the Hankook, Nexen and Grabber tyres mentioned above will all do a decent job without blowing the bank on branded tyres or resorting to part-worns.

Post #499931 Thu Jun 30 2016 7:10pm
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

Always found mytyres.co.uk very good big saving ,but people are saying tell your local tyre supplier that you can get the tyres
on the Internet and they will price match .

Post #499932 Thu Jun 30 2016 7:20pm
RRSTDV8

SH0X wrote:

Ratings are for grip, fuel efficiency, road noise and rated from A downwards

The ratings are fairly pointless as they are done by the tyre company not an independent third party. The ratings, other than noise, don't really allow you to compare tyres between companies.

If I only drive around a city I would be less worried about fitting ditch finders although a better tyre will still be better at 30-40mph than a poor one. But then, if I lived in a city and that's all the driving I did, I wouldn't buy a RRS in the first place. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #499950 Thu Jun 30 2016 9:56pm
RRSTDV8

J2D wrote:
RRSTDV8 wrote:
Chinese ditch finders.

Why put cheap tyres on your expensive, high speed and very heavy 4x4? Bizarre.

Chill out! I was only asking! I have no idea about tyres, noticed they had a C & B rating, so thought I'd ask

Sorry, pet hate of mine. Embarassed

I wouldn't read too much in to the ratings, to be honest. It's easy to make a low fuel-use tyre for the ratings. Making one that can also stop in a hurry is the tricky bit. If you look at tyre reviews, the ditch finders almost always get shown to be poor performers under braking and slalom testing. These are the bits that separate the "phew, that was close" moments from the "I need an ambulance" moments.

On a premium 4x4, the cost difference between good and bad tyres is minimal compared to the other costs you will be covering. This is especially true if you do big mileage - at 20-22mpg my 27,000 miles last year was, ahem, pricey. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #499951 Thu Jun 30 2016 10:01pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I'm afraid anyone that tries to save money on a tyre is really very silly, it's only those four tyres that keep you and a 3 ton vehicle glued to the road, more so in snow, ice, heavy rain, poor surfaces, higher speeds, reverse camber etc and the RRS isn't a cheap car to own or run, if the only way you can run one is to purchase cheap naff Chinese tyres, then you should get rid of the car, before you kill yourself, or someone else. A program was done shoeing the much poorer stopping distances of cheap tyres like these. The label means nothing much in real terms, most cheap and Chinese tyres are made purely to meet a reasonable standard label, not to get the low rating, when in fact, the best tyres that cost several hundreds of pounds per corner, have some of the worse label grades on them, but the main areas of safety are not covered by that label. When during your course of work, you attend many fatal accidents, the number that cheap tyres have hugely contributed to is extremely high. They are now the 60s equivalent of remoulds.
It's your backside of course, but these cars deserve respect on and off road and these tyres shown here should never be fitted on one of these cars IMHO. You can get a safe tyre only costing around £150.00 but ensure its never Chinese, at £77 for a 22" tyre or £32 for a 17" tyre it gives an idea of quality, build and research. They have managed up to 2star on test review, but on small sizes. Smile John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #499955 Thu Jun 30 2016 11:03pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>