RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Trying to figure how suspension heights work
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

erickwan

Malaysia 
Trying to figure how suspension heights work

I have a problem with heights and I need to understand how this all works before I start to mess things doing a calibration......

My understanding so far is that you calibrate the corner heights so that there is a 460mm and 465mm distance the front and rear hub centres and the bottom of the wheel arch respectively. This is done when the vehicle is on flat ground.

Question 1: After calibration, and the vehicle is unmoved, would I then expect to see height readings close to "0mm". I would assume (if I am correct) that the suspension would use the last calibrated value as a datum (reference) and all height changes are measured from this there after. Is this assumption correct?

which leads to .............

Question 2: If my assumption/theory is correct in Q1, then why am I not seeing a "close to zero" value. Especially at the rear, I am seeing silly numbers like 4mm for the LHR and 16mm for the RHR.

TIA

Post #505372 Wed Sep 14 2016 3:03am
Andy K

England 2005 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Rimini Red

I expected to see zero and didn't.

The thing to do is move the suspension up and down and then remeasure and see if it's improved.

Post #505375 Wed Sep 14 2016 6:19am
Stecla

England 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Stornoway Grey

I think The height values show how far the sensor is adjusting to reach the required ride height. It's normal for them to be completely different as far as I know and will in some cases be due to ground not being completely flat etc. From experience of doing my own, the chances of finding a flat piece of ground are pretty slim so even a 20mm difference is not uncommon. The heights do not reset to zero post calibration. You adjust the current ones based on the formula provided.

I think one of the faq's on the gap diagnostic website covers this. Essentially the measured height less the adjustment is where it is trying to get to. As long as those values are close to the 461 front and 465 rear, then I suspect you are ok. 2010 TDV8

Post #505378 Wed Sep 14 2016 7:21am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1