RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Does battery need replacing
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Plazmapete

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
Does battery need replacing

Having faults in the morning. Radio and satnav going on and off for good 20 seconds. Forum suggests battery low. Had it tested at garage and results were it's OK. So I got a new 12amp battery charger and plugged it in. Battery half full. Been on charge for few hours now and it looks fine UNTIL I open a door. Then the meter goes back to half full. Do I need a new battery????. IT DOES START FIRST TIME EVERY MORNING.

Post #498319 Thu Jun 09 2016 5:38pm
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

Didn't you mention in previous posts that you were also getting the 'HDC fault system not available' . This is often the first indication of a battery that is failing or needs recharging.

Opening a door whilst the battery is charging would give you a reduced voltage reading since doing so puts a drain on the battery. Just leave it until fully charged and then re-appraise the situation.

If your sat nav boots up when you switch on and then reboots when the engine is started - welcome to the club; mine has always done that. Even with a brand new JLR super expensive AGM battery fitted. I assume it must be due to the voltage drop caused by the big draw from the starter motor and seems to be a 'feature' of my particular car. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #498322 Thu Jun 09 2016 6:00pm
Plazmapete

Thank-you. The joys of owning a RRS.

Post #498324 Thu Jun 09 2016 6:36pm
CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Just adding to this thread.
Have just had a 700CCA battery, which was fittted to the RRS when I got it, going flat. One of the obvious signs was it became harder to start. Sad
We have found that as the batteries get older they find it harder to deal with both the draw from the intial starting proceedure and the increasing amount of electronics in modern day cars. Sometimes this throws up fault codes.

I have now just installed a new 900CCA replacement battery to assist in overcoming any problems in the forseeable future. Smile
AND
We don't have the colder weather much of the time with the possible exception of Canberra where it can get down below freezing regularly at this time of year. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

1952 Rover 75 (Cyclops) First Car !!! Fond memories -was restored-good for 93mph.

Post #500121 Mon Jul 04 2016 4:43pm
garrycol

Australia 

In my other thread I have been going through this - faults - starts OK after a glow plug cycle - hard to start otherwise - sometimes the trip meter resetting - yesterday doors locked and unlocked by themselves during start.

Yesterday took the car in and tested OK - holding volts under load but failed the CCA test - only producing 300 cca when it was the original 900cca Varta battery.

Replaced it with a new 900cca/95ah battery - alternator tested OK - 14.5v just after start - now starts much easier, no faults - no hesitation.

I went and tested it first up this morning - 0 degrees c - fired up first go no issues.

I think you battery is still on the way out. The question is to you replace it while it will still start or wait to it dies and you need to call your AA.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #500160 Tue Jul 05 2016 1:33am
Plazmapete

Thanks for the reply. Just looking at the best battery for amps and cost.

Post #500163 Tue Jul 05 2016 7:24am
Lost for Words

United Kingdom 

This: https://www.tayna.co.uk/EA1000-Exide-Premi...P7488.html "D2BOYS" gets you a few extra quid off. Thumbs Up Visiting from DISCO3.CO.UK
2006 Discovery 3 TDV6 Auto HSE Zambezi Silver

Post #500164 Tue Jul 05 2016 9:04am
Plazmapete

Thanks for that. I will call them this afternoon. 😉

Post #500169 Tue Jul 05 2016 10:18am
Plazmapete

Ordered new battery from tanya batteries and mentioned D2BOYS and got 70p discount. Fitting tonight. Let's hope it sorts the satnav and radio problems out.

Post #500748 Wed Jul 13 2016 5:35pm
Plazmapete

Fitted new battery. Satnav and radio still play up. What's next???? Must be battery drain somewhere. When I fitted the battery there was a spark so something is always running. Any ideas.

Post #500786 Thu Jul 14 2016 10:11am
Paddi

United Kingdom 2008 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Java Black

You could try that other forum favourite of a hard reset ? Disconnect both leads from battery and connect them together for 30 seconds or so using e.g. a jump lead.

To test for battery drain connect a multimeter in series with the battery with everything switched off. If there is a significant current pull fuses one at a time until you find the problem circuit. There is a much more detailed method on the Disco3 site - search for Robbie's guide to quiescent battery drain. 2008 MY Java Black TDV8 HSE

Post #500796 Thu Jul 14 2016 1:02pm
Plazmapete

This sounds like the problem I'm having.

CONDITION SUMMARY:
Situation: During or just after engine start-up, the following issues may occur: • The High Line Display Front (HLDF) may 'freeze' while displaying the Land Rover logo; • The HLDF may 'freeze' while displaying the Land Rover logo and the audio system cycles 'on' and
'off' every three seconds; • The HLDF may 'freeze' while displaying the Land Rover logo and there is no audio.
These issues may be caused by a loss of communication between the HLDF and the Media Oriented Systems Transport (MOST) system, causing the MOST system to enter a continuous re-boot cycle.
Action: In the event of a customer concern of any of the above, refer to the Repair Procedure below to reconfigure the HLDF and Integrated Head Unit (IHU).
PARTS:
No parts necessary; information only
TOOLS:
Latest IDS DVD Patch File; software first available on IDS DVD116 Patch File 4 Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply
WARRANTY:
NOTE: Repair procedures are under constant review, and therefore times are subject to change;
those quoted here must be taken as guidance only. Always refer to DDW to obtain the latest repair time.
DDW requires the use of causal part numbers. Labor only claims must show the causal part number with a quantity of zero.
Description SRO Time (hours)
Condition Code
Causal Part
Front entertainment control module - configuration 86.90.79 0.80
Update integrated head unit software - with IDS connected
86.90.89/33 0.20
42 YIK500071
Normal warranty policy and procedures apply.

TECHNICAL BULLETIN
No: LTB00179 Issue: 2
Page 2 of 2
REPAIR PROCEDURE:
RECONFIGURE THE FRONT ENTERTAINMENT CONTROL MODULE and INTEGRATED HEAD UNIT
CAUTION: A Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply must be connected to the vehicle battery during IDS diagnosis / module programming.
1. Connect the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply to the vehicle battery.
NOTE: IDS must be loaded with software release DVD116 Patch File 4 or later.
2. Connect the IDS to the vehicle and begin a new diagnostic session by entering the correct VIN for the current vehicle.
3. Follow the IDS prompts to read the vehicle configuration. 4. Select 'No' when prompted 'Do you wish to read diagnostic trouble codes?' 5. Select 'tick' to continue. 6. Select the 'Vehicle Configuration' tab when Content Model is displayed. 7. From the Vehicle Configuration menu, configure the High Level Display Front by selecting from the drop-
down menu: • 'Module programming' > 'Configure existing module' > 'Front entertainment control module' 8. Select 'tick' to continue, following all on-screen instructions to complete this task. 9. IDS will return to the Vehicle Configuration menu when completed. 10. From the Vehicle Configuration menu, configure the Integrated Head Unit by selecting from the drop-down
menu: • 'Module programming' > 'Configure existing module' > 'Audio front control module' 11. Select 'tick' to continue, following all on-screen instructions to complete this task. 12. IDS will return to the Vehicle Configuration menu when completed. 13. Exit the current session. 14. Disconnect IDS and the Midtronics PSC-550 Vehicle Power Supply from the vehicle.15. Verify infotainment system operation.
File actions

Post #500884 Fri Jul 15 2016 9:07am
Plazmapete

Still playing up. I have bridged the bonnet switch and locked the car. Heavy duty charger charging battery. But it will not drop below 1.3 amp. If I remove the charger and use a smart charger the volts drop within a minute or so.must have a drain somewhere. Also noticed if I use back and front heated screens with the program button, when I switch off front screen the radio go off for second. The car starts first time every morning but as soon as I rev it the satnav screen goes on and off for a good 30 seconds and radio goes on and off. Also sometimes when I press brake pedal it won't release the gear selector.
Any suggestions??????

Post #507107 Wed Oct 05 2016 5:31pm
Plazmapete

Car must have gone to sleep as smart charger is holding the voltage.

Post #507110 Wed Oct 05 2016 6:18pm
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

I am not sure what year your vehicle is, but the early ones with seperate CD player with disc for Sat Nav, have been known to cause problems, due to not turning off properly, so still on all the time which drains battery causing all sorts of gremlins.
If the light hasn't gone out on this unit after around 20-30 seconds, when everything turned off, you may have a problem. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #507123 Wed Oct 05 2016 9:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>