RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > New Battery in Aust
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

CRACKA

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Bonatti Grey

Well as I said in the last post I had to do something as mine battery had died.

Went on the Supercharge site to check out suppliers. Site locator not working Mad
Tried phoning them -Automated system for store locations . Kept putting me thru to Sunshine which is on the other side of town 50klms away Mad Mad . But then they were helpful but no stock, gave me a more local contact.
Rang them very helpful and had stock of the Gold plus MF88H and at the good price of $239 incl gst.
Picked it up . Its the taller of the 2 batteries that what the H stands for.
Got it home and started to wonder if it was goiing to fit as the old battery 'Platium 700CCA made by ????? was shorter and not as high ,as I also have some other electric cables fitted .
But all went well and as long as you put the connectors right down on the posts and squash the fitting around the bolts back together . This will enable you to get the nuts back on and keep them below the plastic cover.
P.S. the tie down rods are long enough. Short one to the engine side.

Hope this helps 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

1952 Rover 75 (Cyclops) First Car !!! Fond memories -was restored-good for 93mph.

Post #499971 Fri Jul 01 2016 5:29am
garrycol

Australia 

Car had major issues starting today so I decided it was time so off to the Battery Factory - they didn't get the Federal in as promised so I had to go the Supercharge MF88H.

I got them to test the old LR Varta first - with 600amp load and the battery held its voltage so an indication that it was maybe still OK (hmm maybe the alt was the issue). However when the CCA of the battery was tested it was only producing 300CCA so not good.

The Supercharge went straight in and started the car up so much more easily than the old battery. I guess it will not have to longevity of the original Varta but we will see.

Thanks for all the input but in the end it came down to what the shop had at the time.

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #500107 Mon Jul 04 2016 11:08am
CRACKA

Well we will have to compare notes to see how they go.
Yours will most likely be used more but in colder conditions.
Mine sits a lot as it only usually used on some weekends.
The battery had a 36month warranty so being the same brand yours should also have it. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

1952 Rover 75 (Cyclops) First Car !!! Fond memories -was restored-good for 93mph.

Post #500225 Wed Jul 06 2016 6:22am
Barryp

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 SE Fuji White

Guys,
And mine have a few months advantage on yours!
Interesting to see how they go.
Regards
Barry 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White
2011 Range Rover Sport SDV6 L320 SE Fuji White Loved but GONE
2010 TRAKKA Motorhome Fiat Ducato GONE (What a dud, don't buy one)
2006 Discovery 3 SE TDV6 Automatic Chawton White/Ebony. Loved but GONE
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, Gone after 12 years! Was Excellent.
Ex Member Range Rover Club NSW

Post #500293 Wed Jul 06 2016 9:43pm
garrycol

Australia 

As suggested by Raadar, my seller did advise that he felt the Federal would be the better battery and did promise to have one but he didn't have one there so went the Supercharge.

It will be interesting to compare notes on how the batteries go.

Of interest the old battery in my car was the original - it had all the Land rover stickers over it and it is Varta brand. It was 9 years old when I got rid of it and I have noticed it waning over the past year - mainly in cold weather. With a bit of management I could have mad it through to next winter but it is not worth the risk.

As I indicated it held voltage under load but was not generating CCA - which is effectively how quickly the electrons are available when starting - I got thinking about this and maybe the battery was sulphured up and maybe if I put it on a charger with a de-sulphur program may have shaken this off and improved battery performance but maybe not.

The new battery has certainly perked the car up - while the old battery always started the car, all faults on start have gone, the clearing of the trip meter/computer has gone and recently I was having intermittent dropping of the suspension has gone.

One this is clear though - the batteries listed in the sellers books are not suitable - too low CCA and Ah so if you were not aware of the correct specs for the battery and went by the sellers recommendation (based on the book) then to provided battery would be below specs.

Cheers

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #500296 Thu Jul 07 2016 1:09am
Barryp

Having been the unfortunate owner at one point of a Jeep Grand Cherokee I could never vouch for US quality control. (re Federal Battery's)
Regards
Barry 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White
2006 BMW X5 diesel White/Charcoal, Bought new, Gone after 12 years! Was Excellent.

Post #500375 Fri Jul 08 2016 8:17am
Meccles

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport 3.0 TDV6 HSE Ipanema Sand

Interesting I haven't been on this site a while and just saw this thread. Have just swapped out original battery in our Sport - it was 4 years old, but starting to give low battery fault messages etc. Tried charging it monthly to prolong life but it wasn't working. As SWMBO drives it most and I am away, swapped battery out. With the Supercharge unit - I came to same conclusions that this thread seems to have done. Warranty is good - dealer said that Supercharge offer the good warranty because they have history of how long their units last. For the price- if it lasts as long as warranty - that's not too bad. Funny thing was when I was at a dedicated battery supplier - not automotive, they were dead set against using AGM in engine bays- saying that heat was a major killer of AGM batteries. So maybe the Calcium batteries aren't so bad. 9 years for a battery is outstanding I reckon. SWMBO owns this car I get to drive occasionally Smile

Post #514878 Wed Jan 18 2017 10:39am
garrycol

Australia 

My Supercharge is still going great - no more funny little things going on - rear suspension has stopped dropping.

I dont think the Supercharge will last as long as some others but it is also cheaper so equivalent value for money - and it does have the right CCA and Ah.

Garry 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #515005 Wed Jan 18 2017 10:39pm
CRACKA

Well my Supercharge Battery is going good.
As I said before the RRS can sit for quite a while between starts. Its coping well with that including the drain from the electrics whilst switched off. But its still early days. 2006 4.2 S/C with Tow Pack, Side Steps, DRL's, 19" & 20" wheels, additional 110 ltr Fuel Tank Roof Rack and performance mods.

Post #515971 Fri Jan 27 2017 6:29am
Barryp

Well my Supercharge in the BMW X5 is now 27 months old and good as new. Same battery as in my RRS which has been in for 28 months.
Baz 2017 Range Rover Sport TDV6 L494 SE Fuji White

Post #515980 Fri Jan 27 2017 10:18am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12