RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > What Thatcham
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 
What Thatcham

Hi All ,this is my first post on here .could you tell me what Thatcham my RRS L494 63 plate has Whistle

Post #497143 Fri May 27 2016 7:29pm
IRBails

Australia 

I might if I knew what one is ?

However welcome I'm sure you'll find what you are looking for. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #497231 Sat May 28 2016 9:13pm
Danv8

United Kingdom 2009 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Lux Alaska White

Thatcham is the type of security,
Category 1 is alarm and immobiliser.
Category 2 is electronic immobiliser only.
Many more category's for various types of devices follow.
But for any security device to become thatcham rated, it has to be installed and meet certain requirements. It's quite rare that any factory fit alarm is classed as thatcham cat 1, (not saying it's not possible) simply because installation requires certain parameters such as all wires the same colour, the alarm Ecu has to be installed inside a tamper proof container and be mounted in such a way it can't be accessed with in a certain time frame. So if it became factory fitted then possible thieves may use the fact everything would be installed in a common way, if you see what I mean.
Where as a thatcham cat 2 immobiliser still requires certain parameters it's quite simple and cheap to install from factory with the fact modern day cars require the chip in the key to be part of the isolating system.

http://www.thatcham.org/files/pdf/Definiti...gories.pdf

I actually used to install Clifford thatcham alarms many many moons ago. But been out the loop for such a long time things have progressed and left me behind.lol

Post #497239 Sat May 28 2016 10:24pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

I thought that L494 (like my last Evoque) was a Cat 6 when the full InControl system is fitted. It is a very clever system that doesn't use any outside components and utilises electronic systems that the car need to run. IIRC all post 2014MY onward L494 in the UK have it as standard and provided you pay the subscription the system operates until the end of the warranty period. Not sure what overseas markets get though. If you have the tracking app for your smartphone then you have the Security system. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #497244 Sun May 29 2016 12:35am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

I am now a little wiser. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #497248 Sun May 29 2016 4:48am
RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Thatcham is the name of the town, adjacent to Newbury in Berkshire, where the testing organisation is based. Thatcham Research is owned/funded by the motor insurance industry I believe.

Equipment used to be referred to as "a Thatcham approved alarm/immobiliser" etc.

Basically, if a system isn't "Thatcham approved" the motor insurers won't consider it in their assessment of your insurance policy. The result will be higher premiums or even a refusal to insure.

My RRS has a Tracker fitted and insurers would only insure if I could prove an ongoing subscription. The factory alarm/immobiliser system wasn't enough for them. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #497261 Sun May 29 2016 8:46am
Been-and-dunit

United Kingdom 

Thank you for your replies , the insurance company needed to no what grade system it has ,you would think they would no !!!

Post #497322 Sun May 29 2016 8:11pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1