RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > Scary nuts
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

RRSTDV8

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey
Scary nuts

Driving home tonight in fast, heavy traffic on the A34 I picked up a sudden and strong vibration. Pulled over in a parking bay fearing a puncture; that would be typical as I've just had two new tyres fitted!

No sign of a puncture, nothing stuck in a tyre either. Odd. Back on the road and the vibration is still there. Seems to be slightly speed related and changes depending whether accelerating or at steady speed. Thinking it might be a bearing or a caliper, I pull off the A34 and have another, safer, look. All wheels are normal temperature so maybe it's the rear prop centre bearing. Just checking the N/S/R and notice the nuts look odd. Hang on, one is loose. Very loose. A couple of others are too! Used the tyre spanner from the boot and all five nuts need tightening!

What's odd is that the loose nuts weren't on one of the newly tyred wheels.

Anyway, it's pretty bloody scary sitting here thinking back on it. Shocked The thought of losing a wheel in heavy traffic at "sorry officer" speeds fills me with dread. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders
2008 TDV8 - it was a labour of love and is much missed

Post #495878 Fri May 13 2016 5:18pm
Buckster

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Orkney Grey

Maybe you will be needing this Thumbs Up

http://www.disco3.co.uk/forum/topic145553.html?highlight=Nuts 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #495881 Fri May 13 2016 5:43pm
RRSTDV8

These are "new" nuts being only about 12 months old. Got them from AF I think but can't remember for sure. Mine have loose covers but that's because every bloody garage and tyre place uses an air gun at some point it seems.

I'll be jacking the Sport up tomorrow and loosening/torquing every nut on every wheel just to be sure. Will take off the wheel that was loose today and check just to be sure. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #495883 Fri May 13 2016 6:10pm
Buckster

Good idea mate, sounds like you had a lucky escape Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

2013 SDV6 HSE Black Edition- Orkney Grey with Ebony & Ivory. LR Facelift RAI, Genuine G4 Expedition Rack, 4x Warn SBD-160 Spotlights, Warn 9.5XPS Winch, Mantec Underbody Protection and Sump Guard, Full Easy Lift Suspension Module, LR Light Guards, Light Force HTX230 Hybrid spotlights, 18” Compomotive PD1881 on 265/65/18 BF Goodrich KO2, ARB fridge, TuffTrek awning 😎

Post #495887 Fri May 13 2016 6:21pm
RRSTDV8

Found a couple of swollen nuts on the loose wheel so replaced with a couple of spare nuts.

Did find, whilst torquing the other wheels, a few swollen nuts. One ended up needing to be removed which meant the cover came off. Luckily there was enough of the underlying nut faces to put a smaller socket on and undo it. Took a lot of effort to break it which suggests that it was monstered on with an air gun. Evil or Very Mad

Just ordered a full set (with a few spares) of nuts from Advanced Factors. Looks like the nuts need to be considered to be service items - especially if the garage or tyre places insist on using air guns on them. I just hope all of the swollen ones come off OK when I change them for the new ones.

Whilst the RRS was jacked up, I had a look underneath and found some oil around the rear diff. Looks like another driveshaft seal failure. That's annoying. Also found that the wiring loom plugs in the NSR wheel well weren't located on their fittings on the top of the chassis. Did a bit of clean up and refitted them. The plastic cover wouldn't stay in place either (looks damaged) so a tie wrap has been added to hold it in place to protect the plugs. 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #495974 Sat May 14 2016 1:32pm
Buckster

I think the swollen nuts are a bit of a common issue from what I have seen on the disco forum mate, and the locking nuts are no better either Rolling Eyes

The ones from Advanced Factors in the link I sent you look first class so I wouldn't think you will have anymore issues with your nuts Laughing Thumbs Up 2003 BMW M5 - 5 Litres of V8 Optimax Slurping Goodness in Carbon Black

Post #495976 Sat May 14 2016 1:47pm
RRSTDV8

Looking at the nuts, it's not that they swell, it's that the pressed on covers are loosened by the air powered impact wrenches "professionals" seem to use. It's a bloody poor piece of design by LR in my opinion; what's wrong with solid wheel nuts that don't have a silly cover? As they are, they can effectively strand you at the side of the road with a puncture because you can't undo the nuts! 2012 SDV6 - it's missing a couple of cylinders

Post #495987 Sat May 14 2016 3:01pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1