Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Wheels & Tyres > TPMS for those that don't have OME
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

IRBails

Australia 
TPMS for those that don't have OME

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Bluetooth-TPMS-...SwbwlXBXDB

This system interested me as I always have the phone in the car. Wondering if anyone has tried these out ? M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Last edited by IRBails on Thu Apr 07 2016 10:05pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #493058 Thu Apr 07 2016 2:43pm
Beancounter_74

England 

There's a similar system available (albeit fixed inside the car) for the tin tent brgiade, I believe npinks bought it and posted on here too.
The one you list seems quite a reasonable solution for those without factory TMPS Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #493064 Thu Apr 07 2016 3:49pm
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

Had this one fitted to my old Sport, although not the prettiest it certainly worked well.

http://www.tyrepal.co.uk/

Cheers
Col

Post #493067 Thu Apr 07 2016 6:33pm
IRBails

Australia 

I like the Bluetooth to the phone idea as there really is nowhere to mount a read out device in the RRS. I did see a device that links to the DV outlet and this would be an option that would make it look like it was standard. It really p!sses me off that for a few pound this isn't standard on such a high end Off Road Capable vehicle. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #493098 Thu Apr 07 2016 10:04pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

TPMS is a legal requirement on all new cars built after January 2013 IIRC and sold in the EU. You need to to persuade the Australian Govt to make it a legal requirement down under too. The system now fitted is also streets ahead of what used to be a hugely expensive optional extra that would only tell you if your tyre was deflating rapidly instead of telling you the actual pressures. Mind I've still seen recently produced cars with way underinflated tyres driving around so even the latest systems still don't tell people that that they have a slow puncture or dangerously underinflated tyre. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #493111 Thu Apr 07 2016 11:50pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

Tim although the government does not require this all other cheap ar$e brands have it as standard , Subaru Liberty 16 thousand pounds in your money that my daughter just purchased has it. I just think that for Tarta to say they have a world leading 4WD without the simple low cost stuff like TPMS means the management are Censored !! Going Off road means surviving, without TPMS you can destroy a tire . I purchased my car knowing it was not on the vehicle , but I do try and add constructive views to help the next buyer. I can say that I really like the car , but as stated before the Touareg, even for it's age ,was miles in front of the RRS in many ways. I give an example of German thinking 8 yrs ago:-

A/C went to re circulation on reverse to stop fumes coming into the cabin.
Wipers lifted off screen automatically.
Key programmed to seats and steering.
Lights that turned the corners.
TPMS
Double sealed doors
Three driving modes , similar to RRS but user can select combinations,
Height and suspension adjustment on the go.
Hill descent
Heated seats front and rear
Torque vectoring
Auto Boot
Sun Roof
Rear seats that fold flat
Load cover and safety barrier net for rear compartment.
On board air compressor and air hose for use to change tire pressures.
Dual Sun Visers

To think all these things standard on an Old 4 WD but are options on a RRS ,

So for me as a person who wants to go bush and not be a city poser some of the feature matter now and some don't TPMS is the one.

I would also think that if you never intend to go off road then there are much better cars than the RRS , this was one of my big issues when considering my next vehicle. If it was about on road only then I most likely would have gone for the v8 diesel R-Line , a very fast SUV at 60% less cost and more features.

Anyway Tim a rant just to help others, I appreciate your input and help. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #493112 Fri Apr 08 2016 12:18am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Just to add to this discussion, I paid for the TPMS as an optional extra on my new 2016 RRS HSE Dynamic (Code 062AD).

The base cost of the option was $629 before Luxury Car Tax, Stamp Duty and GST (add up to $900 RRP).

Unless I am missing something in the controls, it is only a basic system which will let you know if the pressures have changed. It does not show a read out of the individual tyre pressures. I have asked the dealer (who don't always know everything) and their view was that the car will not show tyre pressures.

I'm pretty upset that for $900, I get a bog basic system. It will not take away the pleasure I get from the car however it's just one of those gripes that JLR need to fix. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #493115 Fri Apr 08 2016 6:24am
IRBails

Australia 

Another version. Full details and well priced. I like this idea non intusive,

http://www.tomtop.com/steelmate-tpms85-wir...Aq518P8HAQ

M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Last edited by IRBails on Fri Apr 08 2016 8:33am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #493121 Fri Apr 08 2016 8:02am
Tim in Scotland

DrFox, interesting, what you describe was what I had as the optional extra system on my first Evoque, the 2nd one also had the optional extra system but like my RRS it shows not only the actual tyre pressure for each wheel but it shows what the pressure should be and I can alter the setting for what the pressure should be in the info Centre settings for different loading conditions.

One question regarding air con recirc - yesterday I used it in my 2015MY car and on pressing the recirc button I got the message "Timed air re-circulation ON" after about 10 minutes the recirc switched itself off. Is this the same in Aussie spec cars as it must be a pain in the conditions that IRBalls has highlighted having to continually reset the recirc.

IRB, I agree all those things should be standard on a vehicle as expensive as the RRS and it p#sses me off that when they are available as optional extras they are hugely overpriced (just like the basic vehicle is becoming!). Regarding better off-road vehicles, there maybe and it is why I have a 20 year old Defender that is simple and has no complex electronics that can go wrong out in the wilds, although if I were to pit my Defender against the RRS in the same conditions (if I were stupid enough to want to take an £76,000 RRS on a winch challenge or rock climbing) I think that it would be a pretty close run thing. I do take my RRS off-road has I bought it with the intention of replacing two SUV's with one............. But the cost to repair off-road damage on the RRS would bankrupt me and now that there are old and worn out RRS's I do see more of them being used on off-road days, often by people who originally condemned them as city poseur's SUVs................. Discovery 3 and 4 is the same.
Apologies for taking this off topic 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #493124 Fri Apr 08 2016 8:31am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
IRBails

Australia 

My A/C works that way. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #493127 Fri Apr 08 2016 9:04am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
DrFox, interesting, what you describe was what I had as the optional extra system on my first Evoque, the 2nd one also had the optional extra system but like my RRS it shows not only the actual tyre pressure for each wheel but it shows what the pressure should be and I can alter the setting for what the pressure should be in the info Centre settings for different loading conditions.

One question regarding air con recirc - yesterday I used it in my 2015MY car and on pressing the recirc button I got the message "Timed air re-circulation ON" after about 10 minutes the recirc switched itself off. Is this the same in Aussie spec cars as it must be a pain in the conditions that IRBalls has highlighted having to continually reset the recirc.

IRB, I agree all those things should be standard on a vehicle as expensive as the RRS and it p#sses me off that when they are available as optional extras they are hugely overpriced (just like the basic vehicle is becoming!). Regarding better off-road vehicles, there maybe and it is why I have a 20 year old Defender that is simple and has no complex electronics that can go wrong out in the wilds, although if I were to pit my Defender against the RRS in the same conditions (if I were stupid enough to want to take an £76,000 RRS on a winch challenge or rock climbing) I think that it would be a pretty close run thing. I do take my RRS off-road has I bought it with the intention of replacing two SUV's with one............. But the cost to repair off-road damage on the RRS would bankrupt me and now that there are old and worn out RRS's I do see more of them being used on off-road days, often by people who originally condemned them as city poseur's SUVs................. Discovery 3 and 4 is the same.
Apologies for taking this off topic

Thanks for your feedback Tim.

I cannot find the setting for this in the instrument panel menu on my car. Could you possibly tell me which heading it is under?

On the back of your feedback, I have also just e-mailed my dealer service centre for comment. 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #493129 Fri Apr 08 2016 9:32am
Col

New Zealand 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Santorini Black

DrFox1969 wrote:

The base cost of the option was $629 before Luxury Car Tax, Stamp Duty and GST (add up to $900 RRP).

Unless I am missing something in the controls, it is only a basic system which will let you know if the pressures have changed. It does not show a read out of the individual tyre pressures. I have asked the dealer (who don't always know everything) and their view was that the car will not show tyre pressures.

That sound just like the system on my MY13 RRS1 £400.00 option and as much use as a Chocolate Teapot, it doesn't tell you anything Checks the System on Start Up and if Tyre Pressure drops to Low Twenties in a wheel Flashes a Amber Light in Instrument Cluster.

Cheers
Col

Post #493131 Fri Apr 08 2016 10:22am
DrFox1969

Australia 

Agreed Col, I expected more for the dollars!!

However I wait with anticipation for the dealer to come back to me. Rolling with laughter 2016 Range Rover Sport SDV8 HSE Dynamic (Indus Silver/Santorini Black Pano Roof, Ebony/Cirrus leather, custom grey Style 508 alloys)

Post #493155 Fri Apr 08 2016 1:31pm
Tim in Scotland

Due to workmen in my tiny garden at the moment I cannot get at the RRs but here are some pictures of my 2014 Evoque's system step by step through the dash board menu

[URL=]

Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

[URL=]
Click image to enlarge
[/URL]

I'll replace these with the RRS2's very similar system later today. Don't know why the images are not showing on my iPad, but if you click on them then the links to my Photobucket album works! The great mysteries of computers..........

Admin note: this post has had its images recovered from a money grabbing photo hosting site and reinstated Mr. Green  2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #493159 Fri Apr 08 2016 2:11pm
IRBails

Australia 

I am seriously considering ordering one of the Blue tooth smart phone systems. I would go for the sender that is in wheel as I don't think the screw on cap ones are that functional. The receiver can just plug into the rear lighter socket and this is a set and forget system. Trying to get some reviews on my preferred one but so far this has been difficult. I always have my Phone in he car and it is mounted so I can see it. The drive app I use can have other apps started when in car so I think this would be perfect and give me more info than the expensive RRS system.

Found a review:-

https://www.choice.com.au/transport/cars/t...ng-systems M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #493172 Fri Apr 08 2016 10:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>