RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > 275/40/20 or 295/40/20?
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

DDX

United Kingdom 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black
275/40/20 or 295/40/20?

Hey Guys!

Posted a while ago about possible changing the Cayenne for an RRS 2.7TD and I did it last week.

Managed to find an unregistered cancelled order through a broker and have the spec I was looking for. HSE Java/Alpaca with PTI and side steps.

I've only had it since Friday and been making good use of the search button on this site!

I'm having trouble finding answers for a question I was faced with when looking for Stormers (replica).

Do I go for 275/40/20 like the originals (-10mm circumference difference of 19"HSE Alloys and tyres)

or do I go for the 295/40/20 option that alot of people are offering (+6mm difference)?

The next question is tyre brand? On the 275/40/20 its Hankook which sound good after reading a few previous threads. On the 295/40/20 its either Conti's or Pirelli Scorpions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post #67241 Tue Nov 21 2006 10:51am
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

HI DDX - congratulations on the new car! Very Happy It's just a personal opinion, but I'd go for the 295/40/20 - I have the factory Stomers and they are extremely vulnerable to scrapes and scratches with the low profile tyres. The 295's would give you some extra sidewall and hopefully reduce the risk of damage. I cannot imagine that the replica Stormers are any less vulnerable than the OE ones.

On the tyre brand, I have the Conti's and am happy with them. I've had Pirelli's in the past and felt they wore out quickly, although that was on a 250 bhp front wheel drive car... Wink 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #67256 Tue Nov 21 2006 12:07pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Hmmmm Confused How can the wider 295's give any extra sidewall protection ??? they are both a "40" ratio tyre ?

I have previously emailed LR direct to quiz them over what tyre or tyres they could recc for my S/C and they would only recc. the conti's.

You can "over" tyre a car Confused 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #67263 Tue Nov 21 2006 12:23pm
Singletrack

Belgium 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

A tyre's aspect ratio is in relation to width. If the width is greater then this value is relative. The sidewall of a 295mm would be 177mm versus 165mm on a 275mm wide tyre. Based on a 40% aspect ratio.

Therefore, the sidewall is 12mm higher. I agree, you can "over tyre" a car although, the most commonly seen sin is to over wheel a car (23" Shocked Shocked ) 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE, Java/Ebony/Cherry, Privacy, Sunroof, PTI, Premium Sound, SatNav, Cold Climate, Tow kit, CarStyle coded grill and vents, Tasmods, Stormers, JE Exhaust, Autobiography badge

Post #67267 Tue Nov 21 2006 12:34pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Your quite correct singletrack Embarassed ...... this could be the way to go then Confused 

Post #67269 Tue Nov 21 2006 12:37pm
Driller

Australia 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 SE Java Black

Definately go with the 295's. I have them and not only do you have a bit more sidewall, the extra width will help with curbs etc as the tyre has to be squashed more before you can damage the rim. Wink

Post #67408 Wed Nov 22 2006 12:25am
JE Engineering

United Kingdom 

JE would strongly recommend the 295/40 20 option, and this size is availble from Hankook in RH06 type Smile . Our further recommendation is to fit this to a 10 inch wide rim as it make the side walls more vertical. The normal LR rims are only 9 inch which tends to make the side walls a bit 'tucked in'.

The tyres are rated as '106W' which is nominally good engough for the wieght and speed of the vehcile, but LR have stated that the reason for the speed limiter on the SC cars is that the tyre companies are wary of warranting the tyres on such a heavy fast car. Ford, of course, are very cautious about tyres following their fight over the tyre failures on the Explorer Crying or Very sad . JE recommend keeping a close eye on tyre pressures and perhaps not using maximum speed if the car is heavily laden.

Post #67421 Wed Nov 22 2006 10:40am
DDX

Thanks alot for all your responses. I think i'm gonna go for the 295 option and probably with conti's. The replica's seem to be 9.5 wide so the side wall won't be perfectly straight but close enough!

Thanks for the help guys Very Happy

Post #67424 Wed Nov 22 2006 12:22pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Would the difference in the overal tyre ratio affect the final readings on speedometre / trip computer etc etc ? 

Post #67431 Wed Nov 22 2006 12:53pm
DDX

MDP wrote:
Would the difference in the overal tyre ratio affect the final readings on speedometre / trip computer etc etc ?

I was wandering this aswell. As the OEM 20" are -10mm, do Land Rover re-programme the speedo and trip computer for cars with those wheels? I very much doubt it!

Check this out:

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/tyresize.html

It seems that any change which is within +/- 2.5% is pretty insignificant. Once I change wheels I'll hook up my Garmin GPS to check how precise the cars speedo is.

Post #67433 Wed Nov 22 2006 1:34pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

I've recently upgraded from 275/40 to 295/40 Goodyear F1 Wranglers onto my 20" Supercharged rims without any problems. The extra tread width looks great, the higher tyrewall fills the wheel-arch better, and the ride seems more sure-footed without feeling heavier.

I have noticed that it's now improved the +/- speedo tolerance significantly to the point where it's almost spot-on (accuracy established vs Road Angel readout). Previously, the speedo was a full 10% ahead of actual (ie reading 80mph when doing circa 73mph). Also, as rolling circumference has increased and the speedo readout reduced, I'm informed the recorded mileage may theoretically diminish by the corresponding percentage (ie 10,000miles would drop to 9,000'ish.., please correct me if I'm wrong).

Whatever the case, with 295's it handles nicely, it looks much better, and the speedo is now more reliable!

It's a winner.., I think!!? Confused

Post #67555 Thu Nov 23 2006 4:04pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
MDP

United Kingdom 

How about some nice close up pics etc Very Happy 

Post #67692 Fri Nov 24 2006 11:36am
bigdwarf

India 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Java Black

"[Also, as rolling circumference has increased and the speedo readout reduced, I'm informed the recorded mileage may theoretically diminish by the corresponding percentage (ie 10,000miles would drop to 9,000'ish.., please correct me if I'm wrong).

Whatever the case, with 295's it handles nicely, it looks much better, and the speedo is now more reliable!]"

Sure sounds like a winner in the looks/handling department but good luck with reduced recorded mileage! Shocked RRS 2.7TDV6 HSE Java Black, Sun Roof, Tasmod Sills

Post #67704 Fri Nov 24 2006 2:27pm
Brian Mason

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Sumatra Black

Whilst the increased circumference = reduced mileage principle is sound, I share your suspicion that it'll probably be negligible, if anything (more wishful thinking perhaps??). With regard pix, there appears no facility for normal picture uploading onto this website without complications? Shame, because I also wanted to show the recently installed Rossini drilled and grooved discs alongside the 20"wheel+295/40 tyre combination.., nice! Sad

Post #67908 Sun Nov 26 2006 6:06am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
DDX

Ok, I saw a car with 22" Stormer replica's and am now toying with the idea!!

After seeing the car, the 20"s look so small in comparison!

Will I lose that much ride comfort on a 285/35/22?

Post #67921 Sun Nov 26 2006 12:37pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>