RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > In Car Electronics > Android Auto for Tablets or Automate...
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

Guyzer73

Oman 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Vesuvius Orange
Android Auto for Tablets or Automate...

Well I’ve left the car alone for a while now, simply because the family was taking precedence what with a newborn and that... Wink

Now that I have a bit of time on my hands I revisited my failed tablet build and discovered that there are now a couple “want to be” Android Auto copy applications on the market so thought I'd give them a try and see which is best.

Option One: The App “Automate” available through the Play Store and is basically a 3rd Party version of Android Auto allowing standalone operation without a head unit, ideal for tablets and large screen smart phones then. However, the tablet would need a SIM card to get full functionality…

Option Two: The second option is from what I understand a recoded version of Android Auto that can be installed on tablets and then using an OTG “Y” cable connected to an Android phone with Android Auto Control App installed. This product is called “Head Unit” and has to be purchased via the XDA Labs App.

I’ve currently gone with option one and have to say I like the simple interface of Android Auto and with a bit of playing around have a very usable system Smile . Better than before to be honset. The only downside is that I have to put my phone into airplane mode every time I drive the car because I’m using “twin SIM cards” with the same number. Otherwise it’s hassle free once set up. If you're installing the tablet you will want to root the tablet and use the Tasker App with Security Settings to further automate some tasks… Oh and Battery Saver Pro to put the tablet into “deep sleep” meaning almost zero battery drain overnight.

Here are some pictures of the install and the various screens:

Nav Screen (For proper navigation you can choose what app to use Maps, Sygic, HERE, etc and set it as your default App, this is basically Googles Maps used for tracking):

Click image to enlarge

Telephone Screen (you have the choice of dial pad, favourites and recent calls here. Dial pad accesses your contacts as a normal phone would):
Click image to enlarge

Home screen (Shows various Google Now style cards which are configurable with day and night etc.):
Day:
Click image to enlarge

Night:
Click image to enlarge

Music (the 3 bars in the top left hand corner open a menu that lists all multimedia apps installed to select from):
Click image to enlarge

Extras (Here’s where Google Android Auto and Automate differ. Automate allows shortcuts here for Apps and tasks like volume, exit, apps navi shortcuts etc.):
Click image to enlarge

I’ve currently got the tablet running from the cigar lighter until I find a solution to the battery dump on start-up. But it looks like I have a solution insofar that I can use Tasker to set delays on the actions. E.G. If Tasker detects a battery drop that triggers the screen to turn off it will wait 10 seconds and check again. If confirmed then screen goes off, if not then it stays on. This is going to take some time to do but should give the desired result. Then I’ll hard wire the tablet via a suitable power source behind the dash – probably the cigar lighter…

I’ve also installed a PAC LD10 which is a line driver signal amplifier. Basically, it amplifies the audio signal allowing me to adjust it to 80% of tablet volume and 80% PAC volume to give the same level of output as the OEM CD player at the same volume.

This is again temporarily wired via the rear cigar lighter and tucked away beside the passenger seat. But it works and sound quality is very good. By playing with the volumes I’ll be able to use an Equaliser App and adjust tone etc. also without losing volume Cool Again once I’m happy with it I’ll tuck it away somewhere.

Same goes for the 3,.5mm audio cable that runs from the tablet to the rear Aux In. This will be run internally through the central tunnel and connected to the cable running from the socket instead of using the socket. A dummy 3.5mm jack will be used to ensure the circuit is completed.

Hope you like the build, it really is the simplest I can think of especially using the Automate, Tasker and Battery Saver Pro Apps in conjunction. To be honest it’s more about the Apps then the build as it has been done before.

Look forward to any questions, opinions or comments.

Cheers

Guy

PS. Had a play with “Headunit” and whilst a great App am disappointed with the resolution of the display as it’s default is 800x480, with an option of 720p. This stems from the fact that Android Auto would only be at 480p resolution on aftermarket head units or even in most OEM car stereos… Even 720p is poor compared to the Automate App.

Also, can’t find a solution for the phone draining the battery of the tablet as the Y cable isn’t providing charge as it should.

I’ll provide more info as I experiment with Head Unit 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...
1994 RRC 4.2l not LSE sadly gone but not forgotten
LR Defender 300Tdi - affectionately know as "The Black Beast"

Post #491080 Wed Mar 16 2016 8:44pm
Guyzer73

Well, over the past two weeks it very quickly showed which App I preferred. The clear winner was the “Automate” app found in the regular Google Playstore. Whilst the “Headunit” app has real promise and is basically a copy of Android Auto as found in some cars nowadays, the limitations of Android Auto and therefore Headunit compared to Automate and even Car Play by Apple is the deciding factor.

Automate can be customised a great deal and that’s its advantage. Also, it can operate as a standalone unit but works best IMHO when “tethered” to your smartphone using data via WiFi and phone/ sms via Bluetooth.

I’ve basically, finalised my build per se but still need to do the final wiring and installation of some hardware. The overall look won’t change from the outside but additional functionality will be added. Depending on how well this additional functionality works will determine if I further customize the interior from an aesthetic point of view as a separate project.

So I guess best to start with what hard- and software I’m using or will use in this Project. Currently installed and operational are:

Hardware:

1. Nexus 7 2013 model with Android 5.1.1 (Rooted)
2. OEM Touchscreen “housing” – basically the metal housing for the screen and circuit boards etc. for support, installation and holding the peripherals. Plus the OEM touch screen surround.
3. Targus 4-Port Smart USB Hub (ACH112) – for peripherals (EasyCap, SDR, FiiO, etc.) - Working
4. 2x 12VDC to 5VDC 3A power supply converters – 1 for Tablet, 1 for powered USB hub - Working
5. FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier – equalizes volume with CD/Radio of OEM stereo - Working
6. Good quality OTG Y cable - Working
7. Various other cables, connectors, etc. as required

Software (all working):

1. Timur’s Kernel for Nexus 7 2013
2. Super User (SU) by Chainfire – is installed with Timur’s kernel
3. Tasker App (on both Tablet and Phone)
4. Tasker Secure Plugin (on Tablet only)
5. Tasker Tablet Talk Plugin (on Tablet only)
6. Automate Car Dashboard (on Tablet only)
7. HERE Maps (Optional) (on Tablet only)
8. Backspin Media Player (Optional Google Play Music is default) (on Tablet only)
9. Tablet Talk (on both Tablet and Phone)
10. IID Control – For RRS vehicle diagnostics and programming (optional) (BT IID Tool required)

The current setup is as below:

I may need to do some additional wiring on the power supply front in due course to ensure I don’t get power loss on cranking however this is relatively minor and can be done later once I have all the apps and hardware working properly.

This is shown below:

* Note that the power will go directly to the tablet and a duplicate setup for the USB hub. This should prevent the EasyCAP USB having issues during cranking. However I’ll see if this is needed.

The final setup will look something like below:

The biggest change is that I’m using my Nexus 7 in lieu of the LG tablet. This has the advantage of allowing me to use car specific ROMs and kernels, but means I can’t make telephone call directly per se.

To get round this I’m using the Tablet Talk app plus the Tablet Talk Plugin for Tasker on my phone. Basically, now when the phone connects via Bluetooth to the Sport it triggers the Tablet Talk connection between phone and tablet. Job done I can make and receive calls via the tablet as well as receiving sms on the tablet Smile

For the custom ROM I’m using the Timur Kernel designed for Fixed Installation Nexus 7. Timur’s kernel takes care of putting the Nexus 7 into deep sleep mode when power is lost and also keeping the screen on. This means I lose less than 1% battery per day off charge. It also wakes up the tablet on power connection and reinstates the pre deep sleep status. Smile

It also has power up/ down animations. I’m currently using the jpeg below (which is also my standard boot up and Automate wallpaper), but considering adding a proper animation for power down, as per the link as I can't upload the file:

Click image to enlarge

So what’s next? Well I’ve got a SDR FM Radio USB stick on the way as well as an EasyCAP USB stick. This should allow me to get real FM radio over the tablet using an App like SDR Touch or Spirit 2. EasyCAP should allow me to auto trigger a reversing camera on the Nexus’ screen.

So hardware for these items are:

1. Eastvita DC60 - USB 2.0 Video Capture Adapter (EasyCap) – For reversing camera not yet proven
2. NooElec NESDR Mini 2 SDR & DVB-T USB Stick (RTL2832 + R820T2) – For FM Radio not yet proven
3. Krator® Hidden Amplified AM/FM/WB Antenna – Allows me to retain OEM FM antenna connects to 12VDC supply not yet proven

And software:

1. EasyCAP viewer for the camera
2. SDR Touch or similar for the FM Radio
3. RTL2832U Driver app for the SDR USB stick

So I think based on usage ( I use it all the time) this really is the way to go for me and would in theory allow the hiding of the OEM stereo completely if I can get the future SDR USB stick (FM Radio) working reliably, which is a nice touch to finish the build off…. First off though is once it’s all working to gget the garage to tidy up my cabling. I can then post some pics of what I’ve done there with further explanations if required. However, key to this is really the Automate App and the Nexus 7 2013 with the Timur Kernel as without these you just couldn’t do all of this.

Finally a couple of better pics of the screens from Automate.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

Enjoy, comments welcome Very Happy

Cheers

Guy

Edited once to correct Driver App reference to RTL2832U. 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Last edited by Guyzer73 on Wed Apr 06 2016 6:07pm. Edited 1 time in total

Post #492952 Wed Apr 06 2016 1:59pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

That's SO impressive, mate. Excellent job. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #492968 Wed Apr 06 2016 5:33pm
Guyzer73

Thanks Wojtek Thumbs Up

Haven't progressed much but here's a link to a video over the system run through and powerdown (If you like AC/DC turn up the volume Twisted Evil):

I've also now got the SDR FM Radio working but need to wire in the additional 12VDC antenna to get reception in the car and also need to install the drivers for the reversing camera. Once I have the reversing camera working then I'll wire it up with an FTDI card to trigger the camera when the reversing light is on. This will then automatically switch to camera on the tablet Very Happy .

So getting there... Only issue I have right now is with the interface between Tablet Talk and Automate. They work together but I don't get either SMS notifications or recent call logs on the cards on the home screen because Automate works with the OEM dialer and SMS apps which the N& doesn't have as it doesn't support voice.

To get round this I may go with Automate for short journeys and Headunit for Android Auto for longer journeys but this is not ideal either. I'm hoping I can get RemoDroid working or Mirrorcast and run everything from the phone this would be the best solution, and use the BT connection to the Sport as the trigger for Automate.

Cheers

Guy 2006 RRS S/C CONSTANTLY under modification...

Post #493903 Tue Apr 19 2016 5:22am
Beancounter_74

England 

Guyzer, your determination to this project truly impresses me Bow down

I struggle to change interior bulbs so eve contemplating something like this on a car is WAY above my skill set. Laughing

Brilliant work Thumbs Up ON THE WAY: BMW F21 M140i
MERCEDES GL350 - Metallic Navy Blue w/Grey interior

GOING: BMW F31 335D MSport+ xDrive Touring
GONE: Land Rover Discovery 4 HSE - Stornaway Grey w/Black Interior (wish we'd kept it Banging Head )
GONE: BMW F10 520D MSport - Carbon Black
GONE:MY12 RRS SDV6 HSE Sumatra/Ivory/Grand Black Privacy glass

Post #493911 Tue Apr 19 2016 9:35am
Guyzer73

Thanks BC Thumbs Up

I think I might be a little OCD, or just plain pigheaded, but probably a bit of both as I don't like to fail if I start something even if it takes years like this Project.

A lot of this I've taught myself by trial and error, mostly error... Embarassed and hundreds of hours researching the net about other peoples builds and ideas.

Now that it's nearing completion it'll take time because of the fine tuning which is annoying as I want it done now...

However hopefully in the end it'll be worth it...

Cheers

Post #493927 Tue Apr 19 2016 11:19am
Guyzer73

Ok so a small update for what it's worth.

I've had the FM/AM radio working on the tablet but due to the poor UI found on the Apps, I've decided to use the FM radio on the OEM stereo and not waste my time with this, even though the reception is good it's just another point of failure.

The reversing camera works but is currently waiting a new camera that fits into the AB rear roof spoiler in lieu of the one located by the number plate light. Once it's installed I'll post pics to prove it works, because I know no pics means it didn't happen Laughing

I've also permanently done the power wiring, audio is still to be decided.

Just waiting for the final piano black trim pieces and then I'll tidy the dash up finally.

On the UI side here is the updated layout and screens of the tablet:

Overall view:

Main screen:

Click image to enlarge

Second screen:
Click image to enlarge

Boot image:
Click image to enlarge

Overall view:
Click image to enlarge

The main influence of the home screens is actually the simple Apple Carplay layout. I have Automate as an App to give me Google's Android Auto functionality in one App, but unlike before it now doesn't boot automatically to that it boots to the home screen.

Hope you like

Cheers

Post #497880 Sun Jun 05 2016 11:57am
Johnski

Wales 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Sumatra Black

All I can add is well done. Expertly carried out. Thumbs Up
I wouldn't have the patience, skill or time to do something like this.
I blame it on getting old. John

RRS MY12 SDV6 HSE. Sumatra Black/Ebony & Walnut + Dynamic Pack, + Cold Climate Pack + Memory Pack, Digital TV/DVD, Premium Leather, Cornering Lights, Cooler/Fridge Box, & most Options.

Post #497939 Sun Jun 05 2016 10:42pm
Guyzer73

A very belated Thanks for all the comments and compliments Very Happy

Well I've been running the set-up for a couple months now and whilst I generally liked it a number of things grated me.

1) Even at over 6ft when seated comfortably I have to reach forward to operate the touchscreen. Audi et al have got round this by using their MMI/ iDrive interface, but this isn't an option here as there's no way to integrate that with Android easily and no ergonomic place to locate such a controller in the RRS.
2) Even with the brightness cranked right up, the screen is all but illegible around noon because of the direct sunlight through the windscreen - poor design by LR originally.
3) Because it's installed where it is both the light sensor and mic are covered rendering them useless... and unrecoverable as they are 'buried' behind the AC vent trim well back from the front of the dash.
4) I realised I prefer having telephone functions on the tablet rather than FM and Reversing camera - the former is provided by the OEM stereo, the latter by the after market rear view mirror with reversing camera function.

So how to resolve this???

Well first step was to lose the Nexus 7 and replace it with an Huawei MediaPad X2 LTE - better brightness, telephone function, rootable, faster and more compact. It doeesn't however easily allow for FM radion or reversing camera. But as I said I prefer phone function over these and can toy with these in due course. It's also a 7", but in the new location plenty big enough Very Happy

Next was to consider how to resolve the other problems... and here I happened across this Twisted Evil :

Click image to enlarge

It's the CIC monitor from some Beemer, 6.5inch screen in a 16:9 ratio. So doesn't fit the tablet but the housing is nice Very Happy

Once I had the dimensions I did a quick mock up and it seemed to fit perfectly, and could accommodate either a 7 or 8 inch tablet Very Happy

From there I've now done a quick trial fit of the tablet and the front fascia to see how it looks:

Now some basic side/ top views to show fit:

Looks pretty good to me. Will now trial the midday legibility of the screen to see whether there's any point progressing. Functionally, the screen is within easy reach. Due to the proximity it's also much more legible and user friendly, no need for a bigger (8" screen). Very Happy

Cooling will be via the back. Both the light sensor and mic will be 'opened' up to allow them to do their job. The light sensor via drilling a small hole, the mic via either locating and installing a small 'grille' to allow the voice commands to reach it, or by using a 3.5mm audio cable with built in mic...

Wiring up is the same so nothing new there. Ditto for the UI on the tablet. However, it will be adjusted to be more user friendly.

So if I go ahead, I'll then need to tidy up the dashboard and AC vent trim but that should be straight forward.

So what do you guys think? Sacrilege or a good idea?

Cheers

Post #504633 Tue Sep 06 2016 6:11am
Guyzer73

So some small progress in the mock-ups.

Had a drive around over lunch and the display is now no longer effected by the sunlight, so a good start. I've also moved the housing marginally forward (1cm).

The tablet is temporarily secured with double sided tape, but if I decide to make it permanent then it will be held in place with screws and strips of plastic as a brace.

I've used an app called "screen shift" to change the resolution of the screen from a 7inch 1200x1920 screen to a 6.5inch screen so it fits the OEM opening. I will play around and see what looks best including trying an 8inch screen 'shrunk' to fit the original height opening but full width. Also depends if the other Apps on the tablets play nice with the revised resolutions as to whether it can work.

Here a few photos of the tablet mocked-upin the housing and working. Shows the gap at the back and the interface with the AC vents etc.

Click image to enlarge

Click image to enlarge

And here the view from outside showing roughly what you'd see looking in:

Enjoy!!

Look forward to comments.

Post #504684 Tue Sep 06 2016 6:44pm
Forexman

Czech Republic 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Tonga Green

Hi Guyzer, nice mod Smile I installed Nexus 7 2013 into original screen position, just facing interesting issue with OEM radio after navi removal - I can turn on radio and switch functions, but no sound is coming out as well, as volume knob does nothing but switching radio on / off on push. It even doesn/'t show volume numbers on screen. Did you experienced this? I disconnected all connectors from original navi while balttery was disconnected. (I waited 10mins to discharge everything before disconnecting battery).. Thanks for hint

Post #505873 Mon Sep 19 2016 9:27pm
Guyzer73

Forexman,

Sounds like you haven't passed through the Fibre Optic MOST cable from the back of the OEM Touchscreen.

You need to buy one of these and connect it on to the FO cable you removed from the back of the Touchscreen, its the twin orange cable with a black plug.

Once you connect this the volume control and sound should return. This is because the MOST circuit is a 'ring' and any break will prevent it functioning.

Hope this helps.

Post #505896 Tue Sep 20 2016 7:35am
Forexman

Hi, that would be the case! I just ordered the loop and I'll try when it'll arrive. Thanks a lot for help!

Post #505901 Tue Sep 20 2016 9:23am
Guyzer73

No worries, glad o help. Good luck with finishing the build Thumbs Up

Oh and post some pictures, always interested in other peoples solutions and ideas Exclamation

Cheers

Post #505902 Tue Sep 20 2016 9:36am
Forexman

It helped Smile Almost done with my build, waiting just for new rearview camera. I'll post some pics then Wink

Post #506303 Sat Sep 24 2016 10:28pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>