RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Engine failure -crankshaft bearing -SSM 71816
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

Hog

Netherlands 2012 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Lux Buckingham Blue
Engine failure -crankshaft bearing -SSM 71816

Took my 2011 RRS TDV6 3.0 from Europe to Nigeria December 2015. I am assigned here for a couple of years.
The car has 125000 km on it and is meticulously maintained. At 122000 km it had- while still in Europe/Germany - an inspection/ oil change. 5w30 Ford spec full syn.

However without any warning it developed a engine failure: crankshaft bearing (see: LR TOPIx SSM 71816) while driving on the freeway. OIL warning light came on and in seconds boom, loud noise under the hood. Immediately pulled over and shut down the engine. Had it towed to the dealership in Lagos.

Local dealerhip is not familiar with diesel engines. Most RR's here run on cheap fuel. However they are doing their best, contacted LR UK for engine replacement authorization. I will wait and see. The car is at the dealership now for 2 weeks and no temporary car available. I am not amused to say the least. LR does not take responsibility for any inconvenience its warranty says! I hope they will take responsibility for the (factory) faulty assembly of the bearing.

I know that in SA and Australia some of these engines suffered the same problems

Hog Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Post #490774 Sun Mar 13 2016 2:35pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Hog

Good news. LR will replace the engine under warranty. Thank you LR! for me a good reason to stick with the brand in future. (this is my fourth one in 20 years)

Dicovery I V8 1996
Discovery II V8 2002
LR3 V8 2006
for now: RRS TDV6 2011

Post #493690 Sun Apr 17 2016 4:00pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
jmcvs

Scotland 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Buckingham Blue

Good result Thumbs Up 2006 4.2 Supercharged Buckingham blue
2003 BMW X5 4.6is Estoril blue
2006 Yamaha FZ6

Post #493938 Tue Apr 19 2016 12:26pm
Hog

The dealership swapped the engine. It took them 3 months. since the replacement engine did not come complete , they had to wait for parts from LR UK, several times. I.e. the new engine had a different crankshaft sensor, which was not included.
After all being said and done, the car was running and on the road for a test drive,
And then it turned out that the new engine was knocking. The dealership did not know the exact cause, but advised me not to open it up and have it returned to the UK. Swap it once more.So here I am again, waiting for a new
engine....feeling sorry for myself ,but also for the mechanics and guys at the dealership in Lagos, Nigeria. They tried their best but LR UK did not perform in providing the right parts and a reliable and tested replacement engine.
I am puzzled and shocked.

Post #498835 Thu Jun 16 2016 8:40pm
Hog

To put an end to the story: The dealership swapped the engine again for a new one and this time everything is fine Very Happy Thumbs Up
I am driving the car now since August and it's running smooth like velvet.
However I changed the oil that they put in it( Castrol 5W40 edge titanium)myself for Motul 5W30 f D913 full syn, A5/B5 low HTSC, full saps. ford/lr specs.
The dealership insisted on Castrol 5W40 for the African conditions, and the high sulpher diesel, but I was not convinced.
One crankshaft bearing faillure is enough!, and a 40 grade maybe to thick to flow and lube the bearings.
Interestingly I forwarded this particular question to JLR UK, custom services, but never got an answer!

PS I know that the car needs a C1 or C2 low saps oil, like ford 348B, but given the high sulpher content of Diesel fuel here, I went for 913D, which has 10,1 TBN en 1.0% ash.I deem acceptable, may not the best choice for the DPF en catalic converter, but more importantly, keeps the engine free of damage.

Post #510681 Thu Nov 24 2016 4:44pm
DrRob

United Kingdom 

I'd be a bag of nerves driving my Sport around Lagos having been there a few times Sad Neutral Visitor from fullfatrr.com
* GONE. 2012 RR Sport HSE SDV6 Orkney Grey. Now being piloted by RRSTDV8
* Current: 2011 4.4 TDV8 Full Fat. Amazing piece of kit.
* Current. 1974 Lightweight 2.25L petrol. Old skool
* GONE. Freelander GS TD4 Manual MY2013. Orkney Grey with privacy, cold and clearview packs, armrests (a must!) and a spoiler.
* GONE. Range Rover Classic '93 200Tdi Factory fit
* 1949 80" in family since 1975

Post #510698 Thu Nov 24 2016 9:05pm
Hog

I agree. it is a permanent challenge. The worst place in the world to drive a car Cool

Post #510746 Fri Nov 25 2016 2:26pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Post Reply
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1