RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > Hit a Dustbin
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

JSR2014

England 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Santorini Black
Hit a Dustbin

So...last night, it was late and I was rushing home after a 13 hour day at a clients, anyhow, I had a colleague move my car earlier in the day as it was blocking the director into his space, I jump in the car at 20:30 and reverse too quickly and wasn't paying sufficient attention, ended up scraping the bumper on a metal dustbin (pic below). It was completely my fault and the first time in about 15 years I have hit something, I am livid with myself!

Now, I took the ALA scratch and dent insurance with the GAP insurance when I bought the car, it appears they only cover smart repairs, do you think that this is repairable by smart repair? Its scored the plastic but assume that this can be sanded etc? I have sent them the photo as requested and paid my £15 excess (lol), they reckont they'll get back to me within 3 working days...

Click image to enlarge
 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #490446 Wed Mar 09 2016 10:16am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

JSR, naving just had mine in the dealership for an estimate for repair of damage on the front bumper caused by a careless parker, I feel for you, and Marianna will be more difficult to get color matched than Corris. I was quite surprised that my local LR dealers reckoned that they could do a sanding and repainting job in situ while the car is in the workshop for its first service at the end of the month, no replacement bumper needed. If we had had a franchise in this area my first port of call for a quote would have been Chipsaway as I have had great chip and scratch repairs done by their operators previously. Your scrape is somewhat deeper and larger than mine but still should be possible to repair without a replacement bumper. FYI a replacement front bumper in body colour is 500quid + VAT + Fitting etc and I have been quoted !95 all in to sand and repaint (at dealership rates!)

2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #490449 Wed Mar 09 2016 10:26am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
JSR2014

Thanks Tim, fingers crossed. The bumper replacement cost isn't as scary as I feared then - I was guessing circa £1000!

I'll see what ALA say, then I will try chipsaway or someone of that ilk, as you say Mariana is going to be hard to match and that worries me greatly, however the excess on my main insurance would make claiming a silly idea...I wonder if Duckworths can get the bumpers at a discounted rate...and what is involved in replacing it.. 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #490450 Wed Mar 09 2016 10:32am
Tim in Scotland

One of the repairs that Chipsaway did for me was of a Giverny Green RRS when a friend unhitched a well loaded trailer and the thing rolled forward into the lower tailgate. The Chipsaway guy had to do some filling as well as priming and painting. The colour match was fantastic and to such a high standard that when I took the car for a trade in the dealership manager came out to inspect the car and asked if it had had any damage.................. I was surprised when he said he couldn't find it could I show him! That was how good the colour match was, even looking at an angle over the repair it was very very hard to see it. My brother also used Chipsaway to repair keying damage to his Astgon Martin Rapide and that was also invisible unless you knew where it had been attacked. 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care

Post #490452 Wed Mar 09 2016 10:40am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
Cantona

United Kingdom 

That is one of the most annoying things that can happen.
Going back about 6/7 years I arrived home in my brand spanking new 911 & drove the nose straight into a tiny brick wall that is at the back of my car port. Anger is replaced by despair all in about 5 seconds flat.

Post #490462 Wed Mar 09 2016 11:45am
jim4244

England 2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Santorini Black

The last time I used my ALA scratch and dent insurance the guy who came out tried to touch up the stone chips I had claimed for with a black sharpe felt pen.......

He was asked to leave the property.

Jim

Post #490468 Wed Mar 09 2016 12:52pm
JSR2014

Just took the call, these guys are coming out to repair as soon as possible, they look ok:

https://revive-uk.com/

I might get him to do a few bits which I can pay him extra for as he'll have the paint mixed up 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #490471 Wed Mar 09 2016 3:33pm
Tim in Scotland

Pity I have now committed my car to the local LR workshop as there is a Revive franchise quite close to me! 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it

Post #490473 Wed Mar 09 2016 4:24pm
JSR2014

Well, the work was completed today. He did a good job I think.

2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #491464 Mon Mar 21 2016 5:49pm
jpegnall

United Kingdom 

Looks very good. Did they cover the car to do the paint work?

I am reconsidering taking out the policy now...

Post #491492 Mon Mar 21 2016 10:01pm
duvl

United Kingdom 

I took out scratch/dent & alloy cover in Dec when the car was delivered. £285, 3ys with 3 claims per yr per policy. Mid Feb called ALA and a week later the repair was completed on my drive....you'd never know! Cost was just the £15 excess. 1st class job, knowledgeable repairer, masked off surrounding area, no mess and took about 2 hrs. Based on this experience I'd thoroughly recommend this policy. Thumbs up ALA. Thumbs Up

RRS 4.4AB 15.5MY Fuji/Ivory
Thinkware F750 front/rear dashcam

Post #491525 Tue Mar 22 2016 10:19am
JSR2014

Hi, yes the car was masked and covered in brown paper, it took the best part of three hours but they did a good job.

I am pleased as punch! 2014.5 Mariana Black 5.0 Supercharged V8 Autobiography

Post #491566 Wed Mar 23 2016 12:11am
wilf

SMART repairs have come on a long way, but as ever, the approach and results depend upon the quality of the individual franchisee. MY2016 HSE D SDV6 - gone due to fuel dilution problems.

By the age of 50 you have the face you deserve - George Orwell.

Post #491572 Wed Mar 23 2016 9:32am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1