RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > General (L494) > New Owner wanting Music ??
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 2 12>

IRBails

Australia 
New Owner wanting Music ??

Hi, I have read most of the posts complaining about the MM system , but I don't seem to be able to get a handle on a few issues.

I note you can load 10 CD's to the Hard drive , I am wondering if you can load more than 10 Albums if the CD's are encoded as MP3 or equivalent ?

Does the car have a SD card reader for the MM System that you can play stored Music from?
Can you transfer media from a USB or SD card to the HHD?
I know you can BT stream but I usually encode in high bit rate in an effort to get as much of the info as my ears can tolerate.

I am picking the car up tomorrow and have a 80 K drive back home, which I may make longer, and am trying to get the music for the drive sorted. The system talks about loading CD's , what are CD's ? iTunes , Amazon , Google Play , hope the rest of the car is in the 21st century??

I think this is all I better go and see if I can find some CD's M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488309 Sat Feb 20 2016 11:23pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

You can play from a USB or iPod/iPhone. 

Post #488312 Sat Feb 20 2016 11:45pm
IRBails

Australia 

Thanks Phil , but this I knew , I was wondering about storage etc . There is logic to being able to connect your phone as a drive , but BT streaming reduces quality , As I have a large amount of music, 110 Gbts I'd like other options. It seems like USB storage is the only one , not an issue but would be nice to have HHD storage. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488317 Sat Feb 20 2016 11:56pm
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Since a portable hdd is basically seen as a huge USB stick by most hardware, I believe you will be fine with a copy of your music library on a one. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #488332 Sun Feb 21 2016 2:03am
JKay

Australia 

What time are you collecting ?

I am too from
The same dealer Tomorrow

Post #488334 Sun Feb 21 2016 2:30am
IRBails

Australia 

2 pm pickup , although I might be a little early if I can tear myself away from the office. Been a hard weekend , I asked for the car Saturday but was told no go , so I've had to keep busy or bust with excitement. Have serviced my bike, done the odd jobs around the house , cleaned my leathers , made up music files , and searched the WEB for any other last minute detail .
Sure hope I continue to feel the same about this car after a few years. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488341 Sun Feb 21 2016 4:25am
ExpatPom

Australia 2013 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Fuji White

To be honest I completely forgot about the 'feature' to copy CDs to the internal HDD! I don't see much value in it either but know of no other way to use the space.

Since day one I plugged in a high capacity tiny thumb drive (like this). Since I began subscribing to Apple Music I now tend to do more BT streaming for the newer content.

I've the middle Meridian system and the quality sounds pretty darn good for my ears (good enough for me anyhow). MY15.5 Fuji White, SDV8 HSE Dyn Stealth Pack
Gone: MY14 Fuji White, 3.0 TDV6 SE
Gone: MY10 Stornoway Grey, 3.0 TDV6

Post #488342 Sun Feb 21 2016 6:51am
IRBails

Australia 

I also have middle Meridian system , and understand the USB application. Just thought if the 10 CD related to disc space then by using compressed media I should be able to get 40 of my favorite Albums on the HHD. Seems that this is not possible, although I think I read that the MM system will read all types of media, so I made the assumption that copying to he HHD would be logical, but then again this is a car that defies logic in most areas. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488345 Sun Feb 21 2016 8:39am
Mark_N

United Kingdom 

I've long since given up uploading CDs to the car, much too slow, especially as the car may need to be running to prevent the battery going flat while it's happening.

Best solution to my mind is to buy a dedicated iPod Touch for your car, now with 128Gb, which meets most peoples requirements. Keep in mind though that if your device has thousands of tracks, selecting them will be difficult and painfully slow given LR's idea of searching to scroll through a track list, so a set of Playlists is a good idea.

Keep in mind too that for best quality, MP3 is just not up to it. It makes no sense at all, for example, to have the high-end Meridian system - and probably the middle one too - and then feed it lossy compressed files. I use Apple Lossless which sound fine.

I restrict my iPod to about 2000 Apple Lossless tracks, which even though it's a small fraction of my music library, provides enough of a choice for me while driving. Added bonuses of having an iPod in there is you know you always have a camera if you need it and can make use of the car's Wi-Fi hotspot. Mark

SVR in Estoril Blue Thumbs Up

Post #488347 Sun Feb 21 2016 8:56am
IRBails

Australia 

Why bother with the iPAd touch if it is just storage, 128 gig Thumb drives are now available , although price might be similar to the touch which would have the added advantage of playlists. I am assuming from the post that the system will identify playlists? Or is this an incorrect assumption ?

I can see that I will spend some time sorting this , there seems no definitive answer , if the system can easily identify and pull music from storage this will be fine , I like music all the time when I am travelling so a good solution needs to be had. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488350 Sun Feb 21 2016 9:25am
TheWojtek

Poland 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Buckingham Blue

Quote:
I am assuming from the post that the system will identify playlists?

It will. Regards etc.,

Wojtek

---
WAS: 2006 RRS Supercharged
IS: 2010 RRS TDV8 HSE

Post #488366 Sun Feb 21 2016 11:06am
JKay

Australia 

I'm stood in front of your new Range Rover Sport as I type this, watching them get her ready for you

Post #488468 Mon Feb 22 2016 2:01am
IRBails

Australia 

Hi Jordon, I was really perplexed when the guy that sold you your car came out and addressed me by name , I hadn't met him ! He said that you told him we had been on the board discussing our vehicles. I am home with mine , loading CD's and starting to play. It is true the MMS is very slow , going out for dinner thought I'd put the address in wow I could nearly be there by the time it is entered. Apart from this sound system is very good and all else is so far meeting expectations. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488474 Mon Feb 22 2016 6:40am
JKay

Australia 

Hi Ian

Yes such a coincidence we picked up on the same day at the same dealer.

Your RRS looks great in Corris Grey, they actually pulled up in it as I was getting shown around the inside of mine by Andrea, before they took it inside and covered it up.

Hope you enjoy your new RRS and enjoy the ride down to Phillip Island on the GS. I used to live on Phillip island, beautiful place.

Have fun with the new SDV8!

Post #488475 Mon Feb 22 2016 6:59am
IRBails

Australia 

Now at Sheaton on the Park. First family outing to have a farewell dinner. Nav is really good getting used to the car. M16 SVD8 ,4.4 HSE with a few extras, Sold R50 , Wife SQ5 , BMW R1200GSW.

Post #488481 Mon Feb 22 2016 9:52am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 2 12>