RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Orders (L494) > 2017 model changes
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314

donny dog

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
Unfortunately the system is unable to piggyback of your phones data amd needs a dedicated 3g simcard for full functionality. Not sure how much is needed but 12gb seems to be plenty enough!

Is it only 3G? I have a free TalkTalk 3G-only SIM which was free with their broadband, so I could use that to start with if it only uses 3G. It's a Micro SIM - is that the right size?

Post #511010 Tue Nov 29 2016 9:43am
RRSman

United Kingdom 

Yes it needs a micro sim. Not sure if the car is 4G compatible as it only shows 3G on the display when the sim is inserted.

Post #511016 Tue Nov 29 2016 10:44am
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Is there any 4g outside of the big cities in the south of England? Seems impossible to get it anywhere north of Manchester and even then it isn't great coverage, as for up here, forget it. I had to laugh at the Autumn Statement when they mentioned roll out of 5g - at my house we can barely get GPRS let alone 3g and inside the house there is only a phone signal if I stand at the kitchen window and I am only 18 miles north of Glasgow not out in the wilds of the Highlands 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511023 Tue Nov 29 2016 11:29am
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 

RRSman wrote:
Yes it needs a micro sim. Not sure if the car is 4G compatible as it only shows 3G on the display when the sim is inserted.

Thanks. Now you mention it, I think I read somewhere that the system only supports 3G, so my free 3G SIM should be OK and not be missing any speed.

Post #511038 Tue Nov 29 2016 2:43pm
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Tim in Scotland wrote:
Is there any 4g outside of the big cities in the south of England? Seems impossible to get it anywhere north of Manchester and even then it isn't great coverage, as for up here, forget it. I had to laugh at the Autumn Statement when they mentioned roll out of 5g - at my house we can barely get GPRS let alone 3g and inside the house there is only a phone signal if I stand at the kitchen window and I am only 18 miles north of Glasgow not out in the wilds of the Highlands

Until recently I thought the same, as we have a poor mobile telephone signal, and non-existent broadband via 9 miles of old copper wire from the exchange. However, I recently discovered that I can get 4G on O2 here (in the back of beyond). This is transmitted on 800 MHz so can travel much further and through more obstructions that most higher frequency signals from other operators (hence its use in the countryside) and we've now switched to broadband using an O2 data SIM which gives us a practicable speed for the first time ever. The phone signal is still poor, and we get no service at all from the other mobile operators, not even 2G. Despite this, O2 says there is NO 4G in my area. Amazing!

My signal is coming from further away than you are from Glasgow, so it might be worth giving O2 a try.

Edit: Should have added that I live on the top of a hill an d have installed an external mast-mounted antenna to maximise the benefit.

Post #511039 Tue Nov 29 2016 2:52pm
philmw

United Kingdom 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Sumatra Black

RRSman wrote:
Unfortunately the system is unable to piggyback of your phones data amd needs a dedicated 3g simcard for full functionality. Not sure how much is needed but 12gb seems to be plenty enough!

You need to be careful if your car has a WiFi hot spot enabled and you use iPhone and/or iPod with iCloud. I have a iPod permanently connected to the iPod USB and plug my iPhone into the InControl USB. By default both iPod and iPhone were set to 'automatically backup' and 'update' when plugged in, so they duly did. Often. Over the car's WiFi. Rolling Eyes 

Post #511043 Tue Nov 29 2016 3:07pm
Tim in Scotland

2013 Range Rover Sport SDV6 HSE Stornoway Grey

Donny, I've been with O2 since god was a boy as that was the only network we used to be able to get where I am for many years. 2 years ago Orange put up a mast but at my end of the village we cannot get it, my parents who are at the other end of the village can get Orange but not O2............. still no Vodaphone, EE or any other providers. It's not like we are down in a dark valley or shaded by mountains, its the providers who cannot be bothered to negotiate mast site deals 2020 Pangea Green 1st Edition D240 New Defender 110 is here and loving it
2018 Melting Silver Mini Countryman PHEV - soon to be replaced
2015MY Corris Grey SDv6 HSE Dynamic, the best car I have ever owned, totally reliable only a cou0le of rattles in 3 years, now no longer in my care
Also in my garage is a 1996 TDi300 Defender 90 County HT made into a fake CSW

Post #511053 Tue Nov 29 2016 4:22pm
View user's profile Send private message View poster's gallery Send e-mail Reply with quote
donny dog

United Kingdom 

Tim, I've been with O2 since before it was even O2!! I had my first mobile phone off them when they were BT Cellnet in 1989! Before that, I had two bean cans on a string! Laughing

As for the 4G signal, I have several masts nearer to me than the one I get my 4G from, including an O2 one which doesn't transmit 4G. The only signal that will travel 20 miles or so is the 800 MHz one. I can get 1 bar 4G on a phone, but I get 4-5 bars on my wi-fi router using the external aerial. Although I don't have unlimited data (I get 25 GB a month) it has transformed my use of the internet. Whereas I used to download at 0,15 Mb/s on the landline if I was lucky, I now get 40 Mb/s! Because of the frequencies they use, I can't actually get 3G or 2G. If you can identify an 800 MHz mast within 20 miles of you, and get a suitable aerial, it might be worth a try. Ideally you need a MiMo one (which contains two out of phase antennae) tuned to 800/900 MHz, or two separate Logi antennae, also 800/900, spaced out on the roof as far apart as you can.

Post #511064 Tue Nov 29 2016 5:53pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 14 of 14 <123 ... 121314