RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Technical > Those of you with Lux pkg adaptive headlights.. vibration???
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

antics22

United States 
Those of you with Lux pkg adaptive headlights.. vibration???

I posted this on another forum but wanted to get your general thoughts on your headlights for those of you with the Lux/adaptive headlight pkg.

I took delivery of my RRS this past Saturday and have been noticing that there is a good amount of vibration on the beam of my headlights and wanted to know if anybody else is experiencing this.

I don't think that this is normal. I decided to take out my headlight assembly to inspect and noticed that the projector housing inside the headlight housing has a small but fair amount of play (which accounts for the vibration).

Coming from an E39 BMW 5 series, I know that the hella projector lights would vibrate if the headlight became defective or broken inside...

Anybody have any thoughts on this? I truly don't think this is normal but if it is, it might be a factory defect that nobody has pointed out.

(gosh I would hate to have to go back to the dealer when I've only had the RRS for 4 days...)

Post #2765 Thu Sep 29 2005 7:21pm
MDP

United Kingdom 

Np problems with my lights..... personally I think they are the best lights I have experienced on a car! 
" WITH MORE EXTRAS THAN A HOLLYWOOD EPIC "

Post #2785 Fri Sep 30 2005 9:58am
RRUK

United Kingdom 2013 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Autobiography Stornoway Grey

I have noticed with my Xenon headlights that at times it seems they are vibrating a little.

Is this a fault or just someting they do that's not an issue?

I only notice it when I am behind another vehicle of course and you can see the lines of the beams L319 D4 HSE

1998 110 TUM HS FFR Hard Top XD WOLF

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3044 Fri Oct 07 2005 10:51am
Biggles

England 

I have also noticed this, but not having had xenons or adaptive lighting before,I thought it was the norm.
As RRUK has stated it is more noticable when following vehicles.
Keep us posted with your findings. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3046 Fri Oct 07 2005 11:13am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Interesting, I hav'nt noticed this but will now look out for it. 

Post #3049 Fri Oct 07 2005 11:22am
Ecosse

United Kingdom 

Same issue is noticeable with the Disco3 with adaptive lights. However I also noticed it with a previous Audi with Xenons & I concluded that it is because they require an automatic leveling system which is simply reacting & counter-reacting to inputs from the road surface.

Post #3051 Fri Oct 07 2005 11:56am
RRUK

Ecosse wrote:
Same issue is noticeable with the Disco3 with adaptive lights. However I also noticed it with a previous Audi with Xenons & I concluded that it is because they require an automatic leveling system which is simply reacting & counter-reacting to inputs from the road surface.

Clever..... Wink L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3053 Fri Oct 07 2005 11:59am
MDP

United Kingdom 

Ecosse wrote:

Funny you should say that; I too.. come to mention, it did experience vibration/xenon lights on my previos Audi.

Will monitor those on my RRS from here on in. 

Post #3056 Fri Oct 07 2005 12:30pm
NeilR

United Kingdom 2010 Range Rover Sport TDV8 HSE Santorini Black

Yes Yes Yes

I have adaptive and have started to notice now it is getting darker earlier that my lights vibrate up and down with the road surface, this is more noticable when close to a car in front.

Is it normal

Neil 2010 RRS TDV8 Overfinch GTS

Post #3065 Fri Oct 07 2005 3:12pm
Biggles

England 

NeilR wrote:
Yes Yes Yes

I have adaptive and have started to notice now it is getting darker earlier that my lights vibrate up and down with the road surface, this is more noticable when close to a car in front.

Is it normal

Neil

Same as, Is this normal? Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #3066 Fri Oct 07 2005 3:23pm
Simon

United Kingdom 

It's normal...but the movement is usually damped a little so should not "flicker". You can see them adjust as you go up hills, bit of a novelty at first.

Speaking of novelties, does anyone actually trust their auto position on the light switch at this time of year? By the number of BMW's driving along in bright sunshine with xenons blazing they obviously do. My experience of these on several vehicles is "decision best left to driver".

Post #3069 Fri Oct 07 2005 4:41pm
RRUK

Biggles wrote:
NeilR wrote:
Yes Yes Yes

Is it normal

Neil

Same as, Is this normal?

I've checked the Land Rover GTR site for any Service Bulletins on the subject and there is nothing, so it's either normal, or not enough of us have complained about it yet to make it a problem! L319 D4 HSE

1982 Series 3 SWB

Post #3070 Fri Oct 07 2005 5:34pm
antics22

United States 

Okay, so being the obsessive person that I am, I have taken the vehicle to my selling dealer in Encino, CA (USA) and they diagnosed the lights. Everything checked out fine and they mentioned that they were not able to reproduce the problem. I took the service mgr for a ride at dusk and he noticed the vibration. Unfortunately, he simply stated that I could leave the car again, and being that Its a new car, I politely declined.

I decided to get a second opinion and went to Symes land Rover in Pasadena (USA) and the service guy there was nice enough to take me to a couple of other RRS to compare the light assemblies.

He did notice the play from the projector within the housing on ALL of the headlight assemblies, but was in agreement that there should be ABSOLUTELY no play on these... so guess what, folks... apparently its a manufacturing issue that I suppose is within specs, but irregular nevertheless...

True, we have leveling mechanisms that "step" the light height accordingly and you can notice it when pulling up behind a vehicle at rest (or a wall) as the light "steps" down to prevent blinding the person in front.....

But pay close attention as you drive for severe "flickering" of the line which is caused by the loose play of the projector within the headlight housing.

If you need further proof, take out your headlight assembly (no tools required and a 5 minute job) following the instructions in the manual as if you were replacing the main light bulb... and try to wiggle the fixture within the headlight housing... I guarantee that you will notice "play" that SHOULD NOT be there....

oh well...

...so who do we complain to for it to become a Service Bulletin???

Post #3633 Thu Oct 20 2005 12:21am
BBlackRRS

I have a SC'd Sport w/ the adaptive lights. I don't get any real shaking on pavement, even when I drive a little out of control. But I got plenty of ridiculous skaking when I took mine off road, I really couldn't believe it. I am actually having mine taken in tomorrow for service and will remember to add it to the list of my other fixes.

Post #3635 Thu Oct 20 2005 3:36am
cpurewal

United States 2006 Range Rover Sport 4.4 V8 HSE Zambezi Silver

i have slight vibration, seems like more from the passenger side than the drivers side. im taking it in on monday for a suspension fault light. im sure they are gonna tell me that its normal for the lights to do that.

cheers,
c 2006 RRS Silver HSE Loaded
2005 Triumph Rocket III
2004 Dodge Viper Vert

Post #3814 Sat Oct 22 2005 3:18pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1