RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Australia & New Zealand > Too good to be true
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 1 of 1

LordGittus

Australia 
Too good to be true

I've been researching and looking at MY10 RRS TDV6 for about 6 months.

This week I spotted this MY10 TDV6:
Rego
RWC
Perfect working condition, no accidents, no faults.
Service history, 182000km service with cam belts completed with cam belts replaced.
188,062 km
For $8600 Shocked . . yes you read it right.

What's the catch . . well, car is currently in storage and the seller doesn't want to meet in person (alarm bells ringing). However, the seller wants to complete the transaction through escrow.com. Up until this week I had never heard of this service.
Apparently the idea is I pay escrow the money, they hold it, the car gets shipped to me and I have 5 days to inspect and drive and if I'm happy money is released to seller. If I'm not, I ship the car back to the seller at their expense.

I'm not one to judge a persons situation, there could well be many reasons the seller doesn't want to interact with buyers.

I did mention politely that this is an exceptional price for an MY10 mode and asked politely if there was a reason it was being sold at this price . . that question was overlooked.

However, alarm bells are ringing very loudly . . . just wanted to shout out and see if anyone recognized the car

Life is far too short for boring cars!
and why my dream is to own a RRS Smile

Post #595161 Wed Feb 19 2020 5:02am
garrycol

Australia 

This is an old scam - go to the Aussie scam website and learn all about it.

The car will be advertised elsewhere in a genuine add - $26000.

The scammer just takes the pics etc and makes a new add - where did you see it - REPORT IT.

And here is the genuine add, it is near me. https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2...=Spotlight 07MY RRS TDV6
Arctic Frost
Aspen Interior

Post #595162 Wed Feb 19 2020 6:28am
LordGittus

Australia 

I was confident this was not genuine; however I haven't seen this scam before. I asked why the car was advertised as such a low price (expecting a mechanical disaster); however that question was overlooked. As was my request for Rego and VIN.

My thoughts were that the car may have been stolen, hence my post here.

Car was advertised on AutoTrader site but only for a couple of days.

Thanks for directing me to the ACCC Scam Watch site, I have reported with all the information I have. Life is far too short for boring cars!
and why my dream is to own a RRS Smile

Post #595163 Wed Feb 19 2020 7:23am
Farmer Chalk

As above an old type of scam that the UK has suffered for years...exactly as Garry says... all they do is cut and paste the photos from another advert and relist it fraudulently... they are preying on people’s greed to get a bargain and as such give a cock and bull story to support why they can’t meet...
The phone number will be a pay as you go sim...and will be thrown away straight after the ‘sale’...

Something like 40% of adverts are pulled by Autotrader before they are ever listed but unfortunately the odd one gets through... if ever you see photos with a phone number embedded across the picture this is likely to be a scam as well...

The sales media are constantly working to stop these but are literally inundated...

Post #595164 Wed Feb 19 2020 7:30am
geoffsnook

Wales 2005 Range Rover Sport Supercharged HSE Java Black

There was one in wrexham a 05 disco 3 hse he only wanted 3k and very low mileage had some cock and bull story of the car was in wrexham and he had moved to Scotland and had no time to move it there so asked him for address so i could go and see it as was not happy doing it that way never heard from him again and add pulled Rolling with laughter

Post #595166 Wed Feb 19 2020 8:16am
Duc750

United Kingdom 

I like wasting their time and keeping them going for long enough to really wind them up 2012 SDV6 HSE (technically its hers)
2000 D2 TD5 - definitely mine
2005 D3 V8
Metalian Camper trailer for adventures

Post #595183 Wed Feb 19 2020 12:52pm
Ash3

United Kingdom 

geoffsnook wrote:
There was one in wrexham a 05 disco 3 hse he only wanted 3k and very low mileage had some cock and bull story of the car was in wrexham and he had moved to Scotland and had no time to move it there so asked him for address so i could go and see it as was not happy doing it that way never heard from him again and add pulled Rolling with laughter

This scam is also tried in reverse..where if you are selling a xar and have asvertised on autotrader or gumtree etc..

The interested "buyer" contacts you via your ad and compliments the car and says wants to buy the car & agrees to pay the asking price. But is buying for his son/dad/daughter/friend who lives abroad so wants car to be shipped and will pay via Paypal invluding shipping price etc .....they take your car and the money....dont know if its still active....had quite alot of emails a few years back when I sold my Disco3 and ladt year when I sold a Fiesta via ebay.

Post #595217 Wed Feb 19 2020 11:47pm
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 1 of 1