RRSPORT.CO.UK

Forum   Gallery   Shop   Sponsors
Home > Maintenance & Modifications > Tunit Box.
Post Reply  Down to end
Page 2 of 2 <12

LRtuning

2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Cairns Blue

I simply asked you to obtain the technical background on the Tunit you purchased....or did you simply buy it because it appeared to be a cheap price?

I know exactly how the Tunit works but I wanted a forum member who bought one to let other forum members know in laymans terms how the product works?

I dont 'put down' anyone's product.....I was simply making forum members aware of the 'risks' associated with 'plug in' boxes. I have no 'quarms' with Tunit or Mike himself but the fact that some of his dealers also deal with TC has 'annoyed' him just a tad.

For your info, the Tunit units are manufactured by a company called www.kueberl.com in Austria and imported into the UK by Mike Bromley who re-brands them as Tunit.

I know there are many satisfied customers who use plug in boxes such as Tunit, PSI and Dastek to name a few but I also know that there are many potential customers who would like to know more about any product they are considering fitting to their vehicle.

I accept your pont about a re-sale/trade in value of the Tunit and it may be that TC will consider a discount structure for returning customers in the near future.

Also, our TC conversion is returning 4 mpg better fuel economy on average even theough we promote it as a performance product.

With my 'rough' calculations it equates to 15% fuel saving (or £12 a week for me) so in effect the TC pays for itself in just over a year and by the end of year 3 you would be about £900 better off....oooh, another sales pitch I hadnt thought of Wink

I think forum members would be grateful if you could obtain the technical information from Tunit as you are an already a customer

I am more than willing to do any head-to-head with any tuner at any time.

Post #2975 Thu Oct 06 2005 9:28am
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

Turbochip

I think you've made your point.

Yes, kam100 prefers the Tunit Box - for whatever reasons, which he has explained. He may be right or he may be wrong, its his choice.

I think kam100 owes you no explanation and certainly he is not obligated to "obtain the technical information from Tunit" for you to compare.

You could always do all your homework as in comparing your product with the others and highlighting the advantages or superiority of your product at your website. Post it there for all to see, especially the forum members.

kam100 has not said anything against your product. He has merely stated what he likes about the Tunit Box. When you barrage him with all the questions and figures he feels intimidated, thus he says you're attacking him!! Let him be and cool down your sales pitch! Cool Cool

Forgive me for barging in like this. I am half a world away, do not own an RRS yet and I certainly have no affiliation with any of these "tuneup" products. I also do not pretend to be knowledgeable about such products. But I drove my first Land Rover more than 40 years ago!! Wink Wink Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #2977 Thu Oct 06 2005 10:08am
Biggles

England 

Bobby,
Well said, to ask any layman of this world to provide answers to technical quetions in a field he most probably knows very little if anything about.
After all I would presume all Kam100 wants is extra power and probalbly does not care about the technicality of how it is done.
I went the turbochip route and I'm well suited with it I have also had the tunit unit and while it did its job very well I also think that the increased pressure within the system did somehow contribute to a blown turbo on my previous BMW X5 3.0D, but also take into account that this is also a regular occurence that has been cured by updated engine breahters.
Who knows, the man on the street is the one who parts with his money and lives with his choice. Its out there somewhere. Second V10 Treg on the drive at the moment.

Post #2983 Thu Oct 06 2005 12:07pm
LRtuning

Bobby

I am not attacking anyone.....I know how the Tunit device works but then I am biased because I sell an alternative product.

It would nice for a forum member to get technical information required.....there should be no reason why Tunit cannot supply this so everyone can undersatnd what their product does.

Post #2984 Thu Oct 06 2005 12:37pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

My brother in law's X5 also had a blown turbo, and we're talking a 2002 example with 18k on the clock, only driven on family journeys etc, even though it was out of warranty, after a bit of a fight Bmw still replaced it at no cost, as turbo's shouldn't be blowing with such little use especially. He didn't have any chip/mod/plug in device it was completely bog standard, and like you say biggles it was happening a lot to earlier X5 models

I have read into a little of how they work and when i asked the question to tunit i was told a similar kind of thing as is stated on the turbochips website: "the power increase is well within the tolerances of the engine" i.e. Tunit said 25% increase is the max that the tunit will kick out so it should be fine, but with most mechanical things, there is no absolute guarantee, but they did provide a 3 yr guarantee with the box, so that at least i know that will work normally and ok for the three years.

I don't want the car to drive like a supercharger or anything, just for the turbo lag to be reduced somewhat, as the mid range is already quite punchy as standard. I was also worried somewhat by a permanent chip upgrade ruining the cars off roading capabilities if i (or any future owner) decide to take the car up a mountain or something, the setup of the car may be altered somewhat meaning it won't be as good off road as it would have been standard. With a plug in device, i can take it off or lower the settings to bring the engine and ecu box inputs and outputs back to standard so that the fuel pressures etc all remain within the original tolerances and the terrain response programmes work normally.

Last edited by kam100 on Fri Mar 17 2006 2:06am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #2985 Thu Oct 06 2005 1:12pm
kam100

United Kingdom 

I have sent an email to both Mike and Adam at Tunit, to see if they can come on here and defend their own corner, as i don't know enough about the technicalities to get involved really, im just a person, who relies on what information i was given at point of enquiry.

Lets see what they say in regards to their performance enhancing unit.

Last edited by kam100 on Fri Mar 17 2006 2:04am. Edited 1 time in total

Post #2988 Thu Oct 06 2005 2:27pm
LRtuning

Kam

I would welcome that information.....I was not trying to put you under any 'pressure' but rather trying to see what sales/product information Tunit provide to a customer such as you.

Enjoy driving your RR Sport Wink

Post #2990 Thu Oct 06 2005 2:48pm
Pelyma

England 

All interesting stuff. I've seen the TC product in a D3 on our offroad day. I chased it down the road, might as well have been on a push bike Laughing I can also confirm it performed faultlessly offroad, as TR is not altered. Those of us that attended also heard of a plug in box car that had a rather high profile failure causing the engine to shut down. Unfortunately these boxes work by sending lies to the ecu (this info was gained from the source of the failed car not TC)

The inference that a remap is more likley to be detected is a load of rubbish, lets face it most mechanics seem to be all at sea with the diagnostics anyway. If you were to have a shunt, you might not be able to remove the box and lo and behold the insurance company finds out.

It is all swings and roundabouts, but if you are going this route TC is the only one who has put his money where his mouth is and let people play with the product on and off road and fair play to him. No my D3 is not chipped and I don't have any link to him, but I do like to give credit to people who have gone the extra mile

Post #2996 Thu Oct 06 2005 4:12pm
l

Spain 2006 Range Rover Sport TDV6 HSE Buckingham Blue

Pelyma has hit the nail on the head I don't think the problem with these boxes is about removing them if you break down in the rain or whatever. If you have an accident and are unable to remove the box what happens.Is this a likely or unlikely scenario who knows but I know with which product I would feel happier with.Personally I am going to have Turbochip (WHEN THEY COME OVER TO SPAIN) do my conversion. I like the attitude of Turbochip even if at times he is a bit abrasive. At the end of the day the customer will decide which product they will want to buy. I am choosing Turbochip due to the opinion of people on this and the D3 Web site. RRS TDV6 HSE BUCKINGHAM BLUE BLACK LEATHER INTERIOR RHODIUM TASMOD SILLS PARROT 3000 EVOLUTION WHITE SIDE REPEATERS RRPORT.CO.UK BROLLY & STICKER
HOW GOOD IS THIS CAR!!!!
8 YEARS AND STILL GETTING LOOKS

Post #2997 Thu Oct 06 2005 4:29pm
LRtuning

I hear what everyone says so I shall now try and be nice and cuddly from now on Wink

Post #3003 Thu Oct 06 2005 6:31pm
Bobby

Malaysia 2006 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Chawton White

I'm glad of the positive turns this subject has made.

Biggles, you're right about the layman stuff. I understand you've gone the Turbochip way and that you're happy with it. Good for you. Perhaps you could jot down the difference you feel/observe after installing the chip. I believe kam100 (and the rest of the forum members) would prefer to hear your opinion.

turbochip - many thanks for understanding the situation. Its perfectly alright for you to be biased ..... Smile Smile . I believe you have a very good product but there's only so much hard selling you can do personally Wink Wink .

It would be a good idea if you could encourage forum members who have already fitted your product to say something here - good or bad. The general forum member (layman?) would like to hear their side of the story. Whatever YOU say will be taken with a pinch of salt for after all, you are biased - remember?

Cheers and God Bless!! Malaysia Boleh!
4.2SC Chawton White, Stormers
Tasmod's Sills, Wind Deflectors, LR Sills
Clear Side Repeaters, Towbar
Larini Sports Exhaust, K&N Air Filter

Post #3027 Fri Oct 07 2005 12:40am
Post Reply  Back to top
Page 2 of 2 <12